• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

D-Day - 75th Anniversary

TxGriz said:
Something that is not told about D-Day ~ Allies avenged the Omaha Beach slaughter by pursuing the German troops and killing every one of them - the Allies took no German prisoners who defended the cliffs at Omaha Beach.
RTD!!

Malmedy Massacre at the Battle of the Bulge. German SS took no prisoners, either. Do or die in either case. Lots of death sentences handed out after the war, none carried out. Their commander, Peiper, was murdered 32 years later. No one was found responsible for that, either. The victors write history.

There is no danger that what those men did in 1944 will ever be forgotten. They not only saved the world in a military sense but earned the good will of millions of Europeans that has lasted for decades. Even many Germans regarded the allies' victory as their own liberation as well. Now, Miss Montana moves on to a commemoration of the Berlin Airlift, another monumental achievement which, along with the Marshall Plan, earned the U.S. the gratitude and affection of our former enemies. I experienced in 1967 one of the first annual open house programs at Tempelhof Airport in Berlin, where over 200,000 Berliners turned out simply to view the latest in military cargo aircraft - the machines that would make any further attempts at a land blockade almost laughable. I was told a mere 5 C5As could do the work of hundreds of the planes available in 1948-49. Even though there were large protests against the war in Vietnam, anyone who had lived through the war and the airlift had nothing but affection for Americans, especially if, as I was advised, you took Kennedy half dollars to tip with. But those were days when an American President was worthy of respect.

There are numerous YouTube accounts of the airlift. This is a pretty good one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYl0u4YnIyQ

Back