• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Creighton

Spanky2 said:
This is the best Montana basketball team I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen many teams over the years.

This team has potential to be great, but I'd give 1991 or 92' team the edge right now. There might be more individual talent on this year's squad, but they don't have the team unity/cohesiveness quite yet that made those teams special. All 5 starters averaged over 10ppg in 91' and that is what made them hard to defend. This year's team doesn't have the right "balance", especially without Akoh. The dropoff behind him is huge as we saw against Creighton. Neither frosh "big" looks ready for legit D1 hoops yet. And I don't know what happened to Moorehead, but he's been terrible this year. There's no other way to call it. I'm sure he'll bounce back eventually, but he is a liability right now. You need 5 functional working pieces on the court to be a great "team" in my mind, and we only have 3 right now among the starting 5 without Akoh,an unreliable Falls and an ineffective Moorehead. That will hopefully change, but until it does, there is much improvement necessary to be considered for that label.

Zirg said:
Spanky2 said:
This is the best Montana basketball team I’ve ever seen and I’ve seen many teams over the years.

This team has potential to be great, but I'd give 1991 or 92' team the edge right now. There might be more individual talent on this year's squad, but they don't have the team unity/cohesiveness quite yet that made those teams special. All 5 starters averaged over 10ppg in 91' and that is what made them hard to defend. This year's team doesn't have the right "balance", especially without Akoh. The dropoff behind him is huge as we saw against Creighton. Neither frosh "big" looks ready for legit D1 hoops yet. And I don't know what happened to Moorehead, but he's been terrible this year. There's no other way to call it. I'm sure he'll bounce back eventually, but he is a liability right now. You need 5 functional working pieces on the court to be a great "team" in my mind, and we only have 3 right now among the starting 5 without Akoh,an unreliable Falls and an ineffective Moorehead. That will hopefully change, but until it does, there is much improvement necessary to be considered for that label.

Oh, please. This team has more talent and definitely more potential than those old teams. Plus, this team is playing against much better competition.

Do you really not understand how much not having Akoh in the middle impacts this team, including Morehead? Sure, Bobby is not looking great, but he's having to help cover up for no Akoh and for rookies.

The big rookies are completely D-I players. They are just a frosh and a redshirt frosh.

Over the years on egriz, I think you are the poster I have disagreed with on almost every single post you have ever made. I often wonder what planet you came from.

PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:
Spanky2 said:

Oh, please. This team has more talent and definitely more potential than those old teams. Plus, this team is playing against much better competition.

Do you really not understand how much not having Akoh in the middle impacts this team, including Morehead? Sure, Bobby is not looking great, but he's having to help cover up for no Akoh and for rookies.

The big rookies are completely D-I players. They are just a frosh and a redshirt frosh.

Over the years on egriz, I think you are the poster I have disagreed with on almost every single post you have ever made. I often wonder what planet you came from.

Ditto. This country and forum is suppose to be a place to express differing opinions. The main difference is that people who disagree with me don't bother me. Why does it upset you so much when we disagree?

Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:
Spanky2 said:

A) I agree this team has more "talent' and "potential". I said that in my first line, but a great "team" is more than just having great talent,IMO. The 91 and 92' teams had a chemistry that this team is still lacking, IMO.

B) Bobby missing wide-open 3's has NOTHING to do with Akoh being in the game or not. Moorehead went 0-6 against GA state, and Akoh played 33 minutes, but if you wanna think Moorehead's coldness has something to do with Akoh not playing, you are free to believe that. I just 1000% disagree.

C) Anderson would be red-shirted if Akoh was able to play. He's doing the best he can and I like his future and he looks good occasionally, but he is not able to take on a legit D1 C/PF at this time. Being able to "hang" versus Tech or Big Sky teams with no real powerful Big-man is one thing, but when we play a Creighton (or any Top 50 team) his lack of size and experience will show. That's what I mean by saying "legit D1". We may have different opinions on what that term means. Anderson definately has D1 potential and I believe he will eventually be a positive, but he's an under-sized MT HS frosh Post player and he's gonna struggle this year, especially defensively. I'm not sure Kramer will ever get there. He looked miles out-of-place vs. Creighton. He's got size but has terrible foot-work. Do you really disagree with my assertion that without Akoh there is a tremendous drop-off?

Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:
Spanky2 said:

Ditto. This country and forum is suppose to be a place to express differing opinions. The main difference is that people who disagree with me don't bother me. Why does it upset you so much when we disagree?

I don't get bothered or upset in the least when we disagree. Don't know why you would you even say tor think that, as there is no basis for it.

Zirg said:
Zirg said:
PlayerRep said:
Zirg said:

A) I agree this team has more "talent' and "potential". I said that in my first line, but a great "team" is more than just having great talent,IMO. The 91 and 92' teams had a chemistry that this team is still lacking, IMO.

B) Bobby missing wide-open 3's has NOTHING to do with Akoh being in the game or not. Moorehead went 0-6 against GA state, and Akoh played 33 minutes, but if you wanna think Moorehead's coldness has something to do with Akoh not playing, you are free to believe that. I just 1000% disagree.

C) Anderson would be red-shirted if Akoh was able to play. He's doing the best he can and I like his future and he looks good occasionally, but he is not able to take on a legit D1 C/PF at this time. Being able to "hang" versus Tech or Big Sky teams with no real powerful Big-man is one thing, but when we play a Creighton (or any Top 50 team) his lack of size and experience will show. That's what I mean by saying "legit D1". We may have different opinions on what that term means. Anderson definately has D1 potential and I believe he will eventually be a positive, but he's an under-sized MT HS frosh Post player and he's gonna struggle this year, especially defensively. I'm not sure Kramer will ever get there. He looked miles out-of-place vs. Creighton. He's got size but has terrible foot-work. Do you really disagree with my assertion that without Akoh there is a tremendous drop-off?

A. This year's team would run the early 90's teams off the court.

B. Morehead does way more than shoot 3's. And having Akoh inside and getting attention, would open up the 3's for the team, including Morehead. Agree with part of your coldness comment, of course. And, again, completely disagree that Morehead has been "terrible" this year. Note that you said terrible, not that he hadn't been shooting the 3 well. Morehead is 3 in total minutes on the team, 2d in total rebounds, and 8th in total turnovers. His shooting has been bad. I agree that he needs to shoot much better.

C. Not being developed and experienced enough to be able to play well as a frosh against Creighton or a top 50 team does not mean that a player isn't legit D1. They are legit D1, as they were both recruited to a good D1 school and are both playing as frosh.

D. Perhaps try explaining what you mean better, instead of using extreme terms that turn out not to be what you mean. Just a thought. It really upsets me when you use the wrong terms. Ha.

Zirg said:
Spanky2 said:

Bobby plays some great defense don’t forget, so his impact is felt. Personally I think some mid 70s and 80s were great. Nobody on this team would be able to stop Michael Ray. This team has potential but we need to see how the season plays out.

Just an FYI: Creighton (10-5) has taken #21 Marquette (12-3) into overtime. Marquette has gotten unbelievably hot with treys, but Creighton is hanging with them so far.

Edit: Dang! Marquette won 106-104. They made 3 of 4 treys in OT, throwing them up from all over the floor.

Back