• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Consistency on Offense

mtgrizrule said:
About a month ago, I heavily criticized the playcalling and lack of player utilization. Both aspects have improved against MSU and EWU. I suggested more pre snap motion, using Bergen on 10+ yard passes, using Akem and Flowers more in different alignments etc, more diversity in play calls and utilization, etc. To my surprise, those things have happened gradually the last 2 games.

Early in the last 2 games we had Bergen burn MSU deep. We had Flowers take a fly sweep 75 yards to the house against EWU.

Now the next step, getting a playmaker or playmakers more touches. Those guys being Akem, Flowers. Bergen, Harris, Grossman, and Roberts. I'd be throwing in more sets with 3 to 5 of those of those guys in the same set. 1 o 2 of those guys would be matched up with LBS in coverage. That's an absolute coverage mismatch for the GRIZ. Add in a double reverse action, Flowers and or Roberts actually throwing a pass (I believe, both played some QB in HS).

Finally, gain faith in Akem and Grossman to make contested catches. Not many defenders can beat either on contested passes. If in doubt, throw it up 30+ plus yards for either, like EWU has done for how long? At worse, throw the damn ball away!

Ironic, if a few other select posters had made these suggestions, prior to the Brawl, they'd be getting praised here.

Regardless, here's to hoping the offense continues to improve. At the very least, minimize lost yardage and turnovers.

Good post.

We desperately needed to change up the 1. Run Bergen up the middle. 2. Run Bergen up the middle. 3. Try a pass. 4. Punt. Yes, it has been a blessing to see some variety in the play calling!

Friday night the defense on both teams will be attempting the same strategy. Stuff the run game, then pressure the hell out of the QB. We will need diversity, some more plays catching them off guard. Don't know what we're going to see this week but suspect there is a new wrinkle or two. Just hope we stay healthy and avoid turnovers. Those two will be key if our offense is going to be able to bring its "A" game this week. Go Griz!

PDXGrizzly said:
I think a few things feed into this. It all centers around the running game and the injuries to Knight and Ostmo. The line, while it has had its woes, has been hampered by the running back situation. Consider this: ALL RBs are freshmen. They don’t have the collegiate game experience, are undersized, or were never supposed to be a RB to begin with. Now try and run the football. Hard to do.

Without that experience, any issue that the line has is magnified. Holes that Knight and Ostmo might have seen or exploited are missed by the frosh RBs. Harris and Bergen don’t have the power that the starting two might have had. Childs has the power, but not the collegiate level vision yet. With these handicaps, pass protection/blitz pickup suffers. RBs aren’t as much of a pass threat as before. Defenses can stuff the run and get after the QB.

Then we get an injured Cam. Brown now has to make something happen with a running game that is less than stellar, defenses that have their ears pinned back, and HIS adjustment to collegiate speed. Coaches needed to simplify everything for him because the game is going too fast.

Now coaches have vanilla offense, trying to get frosh RBs to see the holes, inexperience at QB, and opposing defenses not respecting the run. Brown now can’t stretch the field because the defensive front seven can simply bring it and force him to win it with his arm. Thus short passes and very little downfield shots.

It all comes from the running game and its absence.

pdx...this is well thought out post and on point imo.....thanks for your input to egriz....

krammer said:
PDXGrizzly said:
I think a few things feed into this. It all centers around the running game and the injuries to Knight and Ostmo. The line, while it has had its woes, has been hampered by the running back situation. Consider this: ALL RBs are freshmen. They don’t have the collegiate game experience, are undersized, or were never supposed to be a RB to begin with. Now try and run the football. Hard to do.

Without that experience, any issue that the line has is magnified. Holes that Knight and Ostmo might have seen or exploited are missed by the frosh RBs. Harris and Bergen don’t have the power that the starting two might have had. Childs has the power, but not the collegiate level vision yet. With these handicaps, pass protection/blitz pickup suffers. RBs aren’t as much of a pass threat as before. Defenses can stuff the run and get after the QB.

Then we get an injured Cam. Brown now has to make something happen with a running game that is less than stellar, defenses that have their ears pinned back, and HIS adjustment to collegiate speed. Coaches needed to simplify everything for him because the game is going too fast.

Now coaches have vanilla offense, trying to get frosh RBs to see the holes, inexperience at QB, and opposing defenses not respecting the run. Brown now can’t stretch the field because the defensive front seven can simply bring it and force him to win it with his arm. Thus short passes and very little downfield shots.

It all comes from the running game and its absence.

pdx...this is well thought out post and on point imo.....thanks for your input to egriz....

Thanks for the kudos!

As much as I hate to say it, some Bob Stitt bubble screens to Akem or Flowers would really stretch the D, or a wheel route from the fly motion. It’s fun to try and figure out what the Griz should do!

PDXGrizzly said:
krammer said:

Thanks for the kudos!

As much as I hate to say it, some Bob Stitt bubble screens to Akem or Flowers would really stretch the D, or a wheel route from the fly motion. It’s fun to try and figure out what the Griz should do!

I have to admit.... I do miss those bubble screens sometimes....

Latest posts

Back