• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL Championship game vs the kitties

GrizWin99

What better way is there to make it to the dance than by beating the kitties. I have thought that we match up well with the cats all season, and even with Olmsted giving them a big post presence we should dominate in the paint. Face guard Goracke and beat up Ford and we should be cutting the nets down at Midnight!

Big Sky Champs in Football and Basketball is reminiscent of the Grizzlies of Old. One more game. As always, FTC and Go Griz!

What better way is there to make it to the dance than by beating the kitties. I have thought that we match up well with the cats all season, and even with Olmsted giving them a big post presence we should dominate in the paint. Face guard Goracke and beat up Ford and we should be cutting the nets down at Midnight!

Big Sky Champs in Football and Basketball is reminiscent of the Grizzlies of Old. One more game. As always, FTC and Go Griz!
No matter what happens tonight, the Cats have greatly exceeded all expectations this season. Logie has done a great job. The future is bright.

No matter what happens tonight, the Cats have greatly exceeded all expectations this season. Logie has done a great job. The future is bright.
Yep, you guys put together the best run of your season, when it mattered most, which is commendable. That said, I expected the cats to be around the .500 mark on the season and that is exactly where they ended up. Congrats on the tournament run, but I wouldn’t say the season exceeded expectations. The Cats went 3-6 in Feb/Mar before this 3 game streak.

I am excited Montana plays the Cats instead of Weber/Ewu.

This is gonna be a tough game. The cats have found their groove and they're hitting shots now. While I do think our defense is much better than Weber or Sac State's, with the way they're hitting shots, they're gonna make some tonight. The question will be if we can weather the storm if the cats go on a heater tonight. I don't see them shooting 70% from behind the arc in a half like they have in each of the last 2 games, but we gotta put pressure on Ford, Goracke and Lecholat. All 3 of them have been great in the tournament.

Our biggest advantage over the cats in the previous 2 games was in the paint. They really struggled defending Oke, Sawyer and DT, and they had a miserable time rebounding the ball, especially in Missoula. Ever since Logie made the decision to insert Olmstead into the lineup more, they've really improved on the glass and on both ends of the court. Olmstead hasn't scored much in the tourney, he only had 2 points last night and 4 against Weber on Monday, but he's been great on the glass. He had 6 rebounds against Weber and plays great defense. I believe we still have the advantage in the paint. The biggest key is going to be our perimeter defense and not let them get hot from behind the arc. If we can do that, we'll force them into uncomfortable situations they don't wanna be in and we should prevail.

Go Griz!

Yep, you guys put together the best run of your season, when it mattered most, which is commendable. That said, I expected the cats to be around the .500 mark on the season and that is exactly where they ended up. Congrats on the tournament run, but I wouldn’t say the season exceeded expectations. The Cats went 3-6 in Feb/Mar before this 3 game streak.

I am excited Montana plays the Cats instead of Weber/Ewu.
I mean that's good that you felt that way but I don't know many Cat fans that had as high of expectations. We were picked 7th out of 10 teams and some thought that may be a stretch. We lost the coach of the year and four of our best players. We were behind the curve for sure. Even entering the tourney I thought we'd win a game, MAYBE two. The fact that this team with this new coach is playing to dance is remarkable to me.

Gonna feel great to send the Kitties packing again but who the F thought it was a good idea to put the game on at 9:30pm? I get that it's probably for the national audience but are there going to be a lost of east coasters staying up past midnight to watch Big Sky basketball? So stupid

Not only did you lose a coach the cats lost a great coach as shown by fact Danny Sprinkle is Mountain West Coach of year in his first season leading Utah State to their first ever conference championship in a very tough league.

Gonna feel great to send the Kitties packing again but who the F thought it was a good idea to put the game on at 9:30pm? I get that it's probably for the national audience but are there going to be a lost of east coasters staying up past midnight to watch Big Sky basketball? So stupid
The Griz will be playing with less than 24 hours of recovery as it is. Game time is about players in this instance, not viewership.

How much must it suck to be a fan of literally any team NOT from Montana? Dominant in football. Dominant in basketball. Imagine being a Vandull, Viqueen, Beagle, Bungles, Lumberjokes, etc. fan, KNOWING the inevitable outcome...

Well someone on twitter pointed out to me, rather emphatically, that NAU has their solid track teams, so...

Well, it's the bsc. No one on the east coast (or west coast, or anywhere else) will be watching anyhow. I'm just damn glad I don't have to stare at a spinning "loading" wheel on pluto every 3rd play.

Cats have far exceeded expectations and Logie has them playing probably some of their best basketball right now. That's a sign of a damn good coach, especially considering how they had to rebuild so much of this roster.

Griz are also playing their best ball as well right now too. Have won 8 of their last 10 and their two tourney wins so far both were totally different styles and didn't have to rely on just 1 or 2 guys.

I think it comes down to:

- Guard play and if Montana can keep a bit of a lid on Ford. Ford is one of the best guards in the Big Sky and he probably "sells" the most amount of fouls too. If he can get the whistles for hitting the floor a lot he's going to be at the line a lot and making plays all over the court too. I think we need our trio of guards to continue the hotter 3 point shooting they've had and I'd love a 25+ point game from one of them.

- Foul trouble in the post. Last night against ISU the refs were allowing both teams to contact low, the night before against PSU they didn't. If Oke / Thomas / Sawyer can be physical low and not get called every time they'll probably have some similar success as they did last night.

I feel like Montana can/should win but with the way MSU has been playing this tourney I expect it to be a tight game that'll go down to it. This really does feel more like a toss-up game than one where Montana should be a strong favorite to me.

I posted this on Twitter last night, but I'll summarize here for those who don't dabble...

I don't particularly like rivalry games in this form. In basketball you face teams 3 times in a year more often than not when you are dealing with conference tournaments. The strange thing, is that it doesn't happen ALL that often when it comes to Montana and Montana State. Only the third time in 40 years in a title game matchup.

I think the Griz should be rightly favored to win, but MSU is playing with an absurd amount of confidence. They have had to expend a ton of energy over the past two games, but they have likely the best guard in the conference in Robert Ford III who has the ability to take over a game.

I though like teams in scenarios like this:

1. Can score easily and score in multiple ways. I think that trends to be an advantage for the Griz as they've over the past 5 games put 7 different players into double figures and both Moody and Thomas have score 20 plus twice. Montana can score at multiple levels with players who can score at those levels. Thomas is a two level player, Whitney (sort of), Moody are all competent at getting to the rim or hitting open 3's. The other added bonus, is that Montana has averaged 15 apg over the past 6 games.

The insane thing about MSU is that nearly 50% of their points in the last 5 games have come from behind the 3pt line. That is an insane amount really for the college game and that imbalance can be an Achilles heel when the shots aren't falling. MSU isn't an elite shooting 3point team, just a half percentage better than the Griz, they just have made more in recent weeks. Can they make 15 three's tonight? I dunno. The prior two matchup's suggest maybe not (11 of 31 for 35%). If they are struggling to get 3's off (shot 27 apiece against WSU and SS) which is 50% of their shot selection.

I just think in games where you are a bit tired, you sort of hope to find ways to get easier shots to go in and Montanan's versatility is an advantage.

2. The small things. This isn't the Montana defense from years past. They don't play at the same pace, but certain trends stay the same. They are still a good shot limiting team, particularly from 3. The are limiting teams to about 15 3's a game in conference which is a significant departure from where MSU has been the past 4 games in terms of attempts. MSU philosphically is a bit different animal offensively than the first two games, but I tend to prefer teams who are good a limiting looks, of which Montana generally has been this year.

Moreover, Montana doesn't turn over the ball as much (lowest in the conference), in part because they have multiple players who can facilitate the offense. MSU has been turnover prone at times this year, because a lot of their offense goes through Ford III's hands. He can lead the conference in steals (3 spg) , but averages nearly the same in turnovers. If Montana keeps its unforced errors down, MSU is going to have to work harder on both ends of the floor. That is something we saw last night in the UM-ISU game.

Two other small things that I think will play a roll. MSU hasn't been a great rebounding team during conference play. Montana isn't elite, but they are getting better team rebounding than we've seen the last few years. MSU isn't all that active on the offensive boards (similar to TDC teams in the past), and Montana heavily out rebounded MSU in game 2, and in game 1 it is about the margin (5) between the two teams now. If Oke and Thomas can stay on the floor, this is a clear area of advantage for the Griz.

I think depth/rotation is going to matter. If you look at it on paper, I think this is where Montana in terms of versatility has a significant advantage. In all seriousness you could see all 5 starters for both teams with minutes that extend over 35. Whitney and Vasquez have both played more than 35 minutes for UM, whereas both Ford and Turner have both averaged similar rates MSU. MSU doesn't really have a lot of options at guard (Miller) and prefers to sub Lecholat and move pieces around. Lecholat like Nap can play and defend multiple positions and is their utility tool. Olmstead has taken over post replacement duties in the past three weeks and provides a bit more presense there when Walker is subbed out.

I just look at the benches of both teams and their ability to weather uncertainty. Montana has gotten double figure scoring performances from Sawyer, Nap, Williams and Henderson at one point during conference season. More importantly I think it is the defensive versatility, and considering the fact that MSU is so 3 happy lately, you could see Nap and Williams get a lof minutes early. Moreover, Montana has gotten quality minutes from 10 guys (including Jones) over the course of the past two days.

I just think that'll help in a game that generally has a ton of emotional and physical investment in it. Montana can play better defense and rely on it because they have the depth and flexibility to back it up.

Is that a precise calculation of what will play out? Who knows. These games are crap shoots.

I like Montana to win, but the fact that MSU has Ford terrifies the living heck out of me.

Back