• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker 2023-2024

Griz til I die said:
Brutal blow for NAU. They have some decent players but Cone was far and away the best player on the team. They're gonna have a hard time recovering from this. I think it's worth the staff fielding a call but I agree with 24 that he's gonna try and go P5 and somebody will pick him up. Especially since he's already been at the P5 level once already at Virginia Tech.
I agree with what has been said here about Cone, but I'm not sure he will get exactly what he thinks he will. He will get picked up by some high major program, but he won't stand out like he does at NAU. He is a 5'11'' combo guard, who is a very good shooter and scorer, but most P5s have guys just like him who are bigger. He transfered to NAU for PT and got what he wanted. He may just be testing the waters a bit. It will be hard for him to stand out at a P5 like does at NAU. This will be an interesting one to watch.

Basement: Cone is Darrion Trammel (formerly of Seattle) at SDSU. I think this is a reasonable expectation, as Trammel struggled with his shot all year (SDSU has that impact on people), but they are fairly comparative players.

Ceiling: Cone likely saw what Nowell did and continues to do at K-State this year and knows there is a market for undersized Combo guards. Cone isn't as nearly as polished as a passer or player, but has elite offensive skills. Cone isn't as talented as Nowell, but if he gets into the right system that takes advantage of his skill set, he could very easily replicate his scoring output at NAU.

There will not be any shortage of Pac-12 and MWC schools inquiring about his services. But my hunch is that he lands back east at another ACC or the like school.

oldrunner said:
Griz til I die said:
Brutal blow for NAU. They have some decent players but Cone was far and away the best player on the team. They're gonna have a hard time recovering from this. I think it's worth the staff fielding a call but I agree with 24 that he's gonna try and go P5 and somebody will pick him up. Especially since he's already been at the P5 level once already at Virginia Tech.
I agree with what has been said here about Cone, but I'm not sure he will get exactly what he thinks he will. He will get picked up by some high major program, but he won't stand out like he does at NAU. He is a 5'11'' combo guard, who is a very good shooter and scorer, but most P5s have guys just like him who are bigger. He transfered to NAU for PT and got what he wanted. He may just be testing the waters a bit. It will be hard for him to stand out at a P5 like does at NAU. This will be an interesting one to watch.

If I were him, I'd be looking for playing time, history of NCAA tourney, & community / fan support. I bet he can find all 3 of those at a school in a Group of Five conference.

But like you said, wouldn't surprise me to see him try to go as high as possible.

LittleBear said:
oldrunner said:

If I were him, I'd be looking for playing time, history of NCAA tourney, & community / fan support. I bet he can find all 3 of those at a school in a Group of Five conference.

But like you said, wouldn't surprise me to see him try to go as high as possible.

Keep in mind, he's athletic. He can be a great pg, depending on the staff of his new program. Offensively, he plays taller, than his height. Watch how much air he gets under himself on his jumpshot. He has a true jumpshot that every player should learn. He gets that shot off against much taller defenders. His jumpshot is among the best I've ever seen.

If he's looking to make the NBA, his chances are better if he can become a true PG. I absolutely love his game.

Griz til I die said:
https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1638634651190460416?s=20
That didn't take long!

Didn’t he already use his one time transfer. Should have to sit 1 year.

I think some of these non-grads who are trying to transfer for a 2nd time are going to be in for a rude awakening. The NCAA looks to be eliminating the Non-participation opportunity (NPO) loophole. This is where a school like NAU would sign a document saying Cone wouldn’t have a scholarship at NAU next year, even if he had one just to eliminate the bad publicity the school and coach could get. This is case sometimes particularly with non- performers, but there is no way NAU wouldn’t want Cone back.

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1638718369409933314?s=46&t=_FgpKnpLgkEHDfvQTUKPmA

It sounds like the only avenue open to them now, if they are a second+ time transferee, is to document a mental illness and show that their current school could not provide adequate mental health services for them and that their new school can provide that service. Sounds like they will have to start going crazy long before they enter the portal. This will become the new pandemic. :lol:

GrizBall said:
https://twitter.com/verbalcommits/status/1638932104867205121?s=46&t=_FgpKnpLgkEHDfvQTUKPmA
Oof. Last thing you wanna see for UNC, especially after the season didn’t go their way.

Can you imagine how pissed you would be if your business was one of those that paid out the 6 figure NIL deal that got Cone to Flagstaff, just to see him entering the portal. It's funny in a twisted kind of way.

I also heard that UNCo's star guy is asking 6 figures to get signed. That seems to be what the NCAA BB world is coming to. I'm not sure where this will all end, but it is certainly interesting to watch it unfold.

ordigger said:
Griz til I die said:
https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1638634651190460416?s=20
That didn't take long!

Didn’t he already use his one time transfer. Should have to sit 1 year.

Cone played two years at Va Tech and two at NAU, so he is probably a grad transfer who will be immediately eligible.

oldrunner said:
Can you imagine how pissed you would be if your business was one of those that paid out the 6 figure NIL deal that got Cone to Flagstaff, just to see him entering the portal. It's funny in a twisted kind of way.

I also heard that UNCo's star guy is asking 6 figures to get signed. That seems to be what the NCAA BB world is coming to. I'm not sure where this will all end, but it is certainly interesting to watch it unfold.
I’m surprised anybody in Flagstaff cared enough to set up an NIL fund for Cone, frankly. They draw about 1,000 fans a game for NAU games. But hey they got two years of all-conference play out of the young man. I’m assuming he’s leaving with a degree, so he fulfilled his obligations. The only reason he has another year of eligibility is COVID. So everybody got what they wanted out of that deal.

In 4 years and. 112 college games, Cone has averaged 2.1 assists a game and has more turnovers than assists. He is an undersized 2-guard.

Bengal visitor said:
oldrunner said:

I’m surprised anybody in Flagstaff cared enough to set up an NIL fund for Cone, frankly. They draw about 1,000 fans a game for NAU games. But hey they got two years of all-conference play out of the young man. I’m assuming he’s leaving with a degree, so he fulfilled his obligations. The only reason he has another year of eligibility is COVID. So everybody got what they wanted out of that deal.

I believe these two observations encapsulate the state of the game right now. So... what Montana fans need to do is form a donation-based fundraising group to guarantee a transfer $$$.$$$.00 for a year or two. Don't like it, but it looks like the future of collegiate sports. $ support of the Montana fan base could probably compete pretty well against other Big Sky schools. ;)

grizzlyjournal said:
Bengal visitor said:

I believe these two observations encapsulate the state of the game right now. So... what Montana fans need to do is form a donation-based fundraising group to guarantee a transfer $$$.$$$.00 for a year or two. Don't like it, but it looks like the future of collegiate sports. $ support of the Montana fan base could probably compete pretty well against other Big Sky schools. ;)

Is anyone aware of any meaningful Big Sky Basketball NIL deals?

The NIL Money reckoning is quickly coming and not because it is unethical, but rather that it is the wild west. NCAA as a regulatory agency is way out over its skis here and recognizes that they won't or can't put the genie back in the bottle. Clearly the NIL money benefits power 5 schools and other NCAA institutions with lots of cash in its booster pool. The NCAA doesn't have a clear regulatory model in mind (thus asking for congressional help) but it isn't going fix itself until member institutions, players and coaches make a big enough stink. Just get used to the chaos.

Grizfan-24 said:
The NIL Money reckoning is quickly coming and not because it is unethical, but rather that it is the wild west. NCAA as a regulatory agency is way out over its skis here and recognizes that they won't or can't put the genie back in the bottle. Clearly the NIL money benefits power 5 schools and other NCAA institutions with lots of cash in its booster pool. The NCAA doesn't have a clear regulatory model in mind (thus asking for congressional help) but it isn't going fix itself until member institutions, players and coaches make a big enough stink. Just get used to the chaos.

I miss the old system but I resented coaches on million dollar contracts moving freely while their players had to sit out a year if their coach left. And I also resented those oily administrators making $500,000 a year while cynically calling the players STUDENT ATHLETES, when it was the STUDENT ATHLETES paying for those huge salaries for administrators and coaches.

Money corrupts and big money, like power, corrupts absolutely. And there is now BIG money in those NCAA TV deals. The athletes deserve their fair share, chaos or not.

Back