• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Beasley in Portal

Zirg said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I know that some will freak over this comment, but as of today, the Griz men are arguably no further from being a BSC Championship/NCAA tourney team than they were 10 days ago.

I agree. The Griz still return more valuable under-classmen pieces than the other top 5 BSC teams do and I am sure we'll bring in a couple "portal" guys to replace our "portal" loses. It's never been easier to turn your fortunes around quicker than today. I think D1-Portal recruiting is now just as important as hs recruiting, especially for lower-tier NCAA teams that can't come close to recruiting blue chip high-schoolers,but might get those same guys a couple years later, when they don't get the PT they hoped for.

You sure about that? With the exception of Belo, every returning contributor at MSU is an underclassman. and we ran about 10 deep.

Walkon79 said:
Zirg said:
I agree. The Griz still return more valuable under-classmen pieces than the other top 5 BSC teams do and I am sure we'll bring in a couple "portal" guys to replace our "portal" loses. It's never been easier to turn your fortunes around quicker than today. I think D1-Portal recruiting is now just as important as hs recruiting, especially for lower-tier NCAA teams that can't come close to recruiting blue chip high-schoolers,but might get those same guys a couple years later, when they don't get the PT they hoped for.

You sure about that? With the exception of Belo, every returning contributor at MSU is an underclassman. and we ran about 10 deep.

Well I said "underclassmen". Weber, No Colo, SUU (not that they matter in the future) and MSU had more important seniors than the Griz this year. I guess I don't know which "seniors" will return for a 5th or 6th year. Are Seniors Bishop, Adamu and/or Mohamed returning next year?

Zirg said:
Walkon79 said:

Well I said "underclassmen". Weber, No Colo, SUU (not that they matter in the future) and MSU had more important seniors than the Griz this year. I guess I don't know which "seniors" will return for a 5th or 6th year. Are Seniors Bishop, Adamu and/or Mohamed returning next year?

Bishop, Adamu and Mohamed are all out of eligibility. They all used their extra Covid year this year.

In my opinion, as of today, MSU has the best starting five in the Big Sky:

C - Belo
PF - Osobor
W - Battle and Patterson
PG - Darius Brown (incoming transfer from CS-Northridge)

I also like Tew, Jones, Jawara, Porter and whatever 1st team all-conference PG Rahe brings in. His last two grad transfer PGs (Brown and McEwen) were both 1st team all Big Sky.

Hoops watcher said:
Griz til I die said:
Here’s something that no one has considered about Beasley. He’s got a girlfriend that lives in Texas, and anyone who follows the kid on Instagram would know that they are struggling with a long distance relationship. Did it ever occur to anyone here that maybe he’s transferring for personal reasons? I get kinda tired of people making random assumptions as to why he’s leaving. No one will ever know the story for sure.
Times have changed, stuff like that used to not be other people's business. It certainly could be a factor, really not high on my concern list though. Hope it all works out in his basketball and life pursuits.
Link: https://406mtsports.com/college/big...le_f082956b-5f59-5567-a99e-fd93eedd9e51.html

I agree about “other factors,” because otherwise he may be getting really bad advice from somewhere. He may be a minor stud in the Big Sky, but his numbers don’t mean squat on a national level. I don’t know young Mr. Beasley, nor anyone who does. So … nothing for or against him as a person, student, or athlete. I go strictly by the numbers.

Robby Beasley’s stats line is unimpressive, to say the least. Yes, some people give him a bit of cred as a “shooting guard,” with an average PPG of 11.8 (article) or 10.5 (ESPN). BFD: that does not get him even into the top 350 players followed by the NCAA.
He averages 1.0 Assist per Game. That too puts him out of the top-350 in the NCAA stats.
His 2.4 Rebounds per Game also doesn’t put him on the NCAA radar.

I do not see him scoring a spot that might be a major upgrade from the Griz.

[/quote]
Link: https://406mtsports.com/college/big...le_f082956b-5f59-5567-a99e-fd93eedd9e51.html

I agree about “other factors,” because otherwise he may be getting really bad advice from somewhere. He may be a minor stud in the Big Sky, but his numbers don’t mean squat on a national level. I don’t know young Mr. Beasley, nor anyone who does. So … nothing for or against him as a person, student, or athlete. I go strictly by the numbers.

Robby Beasley’s stats line is unimpressive, to say the least. Yes, some people give him a bit of cred as a “shooting guard,” with an average PPG of 11.8 (article) or 10.5 (ESPN). BFD: that does not get him even into the top 350 players followed by the NCAA.
He averages 1.0 Assist per Game. That too puts him out of the top-350 in the NCAA stats.

[/quote]

Not sure I totally agree with this analysis. Montana plays at one of the slowest paces in D-1. He could be the same exact player and average 15 points for Idaho who plays at a much faster pace. That doesn’t make him any better (or worse).

I do agree that it will be hard to find a place where he will have as long of a leash and play 30+ minutes.

GrizBall said:

Not sure I totally agree with this analysis. Montana plays at one of the slowest paces in D-1. He could be the same exact player and average 15 points for Idaho who plays at a much faster pace. That doesn’t make him any better (or worse).

I do agree that it will be hard to find a place where he will have as long of a leash and play 30+ minutes.
You're probably right that he might score more in a different offense (his shooting percentages are respectable). But shooting guards who don't shine somewhere else are a dime-a-dozen. And Beasley does not rate anywhere for Assists, Steals, or Rebounds.

Mousegriz said:
GrizPony said:
Beasley said it "hurt" to leave. I don't think it was done easily. We had two very talented bigs in this week. Hopefully Josh stays.

Bannan or Vazquez? I want both.

I think both too. Josh is the concern. He was slighted this year. Wrongly in my opinion.

IdaGriz01 said:
GrizBall said:

You're probably right that he might score more in a different offense (his shooting percentages are respectable). But shooting guards who don't shine somewhere else are a dime-a-dozen. And Beasley does not rate anywhere for Assists, Steals, or Rebounds.

Agree 100%. He is a little one dimensional right now. On another thread I said his off-season improvement plan should include passing (very low assist numbers for how much he played and had the ball), getting to the rim (low number of rim attempts) and finishing at rim (fairly low percentage).

GrizBall said:
Zirg said:

Bishop, Adamu and Mohamed are all out of eligibility. They all used their extra Covid year this year.

In my opinion, as of today, MSU has the best starting five in the Big Sky:

C - Belo
PF - Osobor
W - Battle and Patterson
PG - Darius Brown (incoming transfer from CS-Northridge)

I also like Tew, Jones, Jawara, Porter and whatever 1st team all-conference PG Rahe brings in. His last two grad transfer PGs (Brown and McEwen) were both 1st team all Big Sky.

You may be right that MSU and WSU are set-up better for next year, but you included an incoming transfer for MSU and anticipating a good WSU transfer (which I don't doubt) in that prediction. That little weasel Randy Raye always seems to get his way. WSU and MSU are losing more important senior players from last year, but that is less important in this transfer-portal world

maroonandsilver said:
Griz til I die said:
That's a massive downgrade. They're so bad at basketball.

Closer to home, tho. But is it closer to his GF?
I think his girlfriend is going to school in Texas, but she's from the bay area so I suppose it gets him closer in that regard.

Jackieb125 said:
NCAA basketball rankings, UC Davis, 220. 12-10. Montana 257. 15-14
That’s a downgrade.

The University of Montana has made the NCAA tournament more times in the last 5 years than UC Davis has in their entire history as a Division one school.

UMFan12 said:
Jackieb125 said:
NCAA basketball rankings, UC Davis, 220. 12-10. Montana 257. 15-14
That’s a downgrade.

The University of Montana has made the NCAA tournament more times in the last 5 years than UC Davis has in their entire history as a Division one school.
To be precise. UC Davis has 3 20 win seasons in 18 years of D-1 and an overall W-L well below .500. UM has two seasons within the last 5 years better than any season in UC Davis basketball history.

UMFan12 said:
UMFan12 said:
To be precise. UC Davis has 3 20 win seasons in 18 years of D-1 and an overall W-L well below .500. UM has two seasons within the last 5 years better than any season in UC Davis basketball history.
I don't see anything wrong with UC Davis. It's not an upgrade for him, but certainly not a downgrade. They are a well respected institution of higher learning and seem to have a desire to improve their athletics. I wish him nothing but the best. I liked watching him play at UM. :thumb:

Let me put it a different way. It's like going from a Ford pickup to a Chevy pickup. I guess you could argue that one, once had a shell on the back, but why?

The BigWest conference has won 4 NCAA tournament games since 2014....The BigSky's last victory was in 1995.....I hate UC Davis but their conference could arguably be better than the BSC.....I think Beasley will be fine there as their coach, Jim Les, likes outside shooters at the guard position...

sacstateman said:
The BigWest conference has won 4 NCAA tournament games since 2014....The BigSky's last victory was in 1995.....I hate UC Davis but their conference could arguably be better than the BSC.....I think Beasley will be fine there as their coach, Jim Les, likes outside shooters at the guard position...

Griz won in 2004 against Nevada.

oldrunner said:
UMFan12 said:
I don't see anything wrong with UC Davis. It's not an upgrade for him, but certainly not a downgrade. They are a well respected institution of higher learning and seem to have a desire to improve their athletics. I wish him nothing but the best. I liked watching him play at UM. :thumb:

Let me put it a different way. It's like going from a Ford pickup to a Chevy pickup. I guess you could argue that one, once had a shell on the back, but why?

I agree! The kid can play. I wish he was still a Griz but that is the way it all works now.

Back