• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

At Sac State

Buttegrizzle said:
Our scoring droughts are of Global Climate Change proportions.

And the ticky tack junk the BSC refs routinely call screws us all when it comes to NCAA tourney time. It’s shockingly bad. Not one-sided; just way too quick on the whistle. Ruins the flow and then we face a non-con team and find out how the big boys play…

Uh Uh, Grizzle!!! LA says it’s the same everywhere. :roll:

EverettGriz said:
Buttegrizzle said:
Our scoring droughts are of Global Climate Change proportions.

And the ticky tack junk the BSC refs routinely call screws us all when it comes to NCAA tourney time. It’s shockingly bad. Not one-sided; just way too quick on the whistle. Ruins the flow and then we face a non-con team and find out how the big boys play…

He apparently didn’t watch any of this week’s Big 10-ACC challenge games.

Buttegrizzle said:
EverettGriz said:

He apparently didn’t watch any of this week’s Big 10-ACC challenge games.

I think he probably did. But it doesn’t fit his narrative so….

Riley said NoCol hit 19 threes against Colorado or CO State? Holy moly. Gotta get out on those guys. Nice win today Griz.

fanofzoo said:
Kadeezy said:

You in the back, how does #14 shoot 3's from forever and miss 2/3 fouls shots ?

I'll take a shot at this one.....as the Sundance Kid once said "I'm better when I move"....also, with 1.5 seconds left and down by 8, I think your concentration suffers a bit.....

Good win by the Griz. Couldn't watch it because of a game here in Missoula. But, if I had to rely on this message board I would thought they were losing. Thankfully, there are other sources to watch or track the game.

Go Griz.

All in all, pretty good win and pretty solid effort. I was happy to see that when adversity struck, they stayed calm and knocked down shots to stretch out the lead. That’s a good game to open conference play with. Onto a pesky UNC team that’s had our number the last 4 years.

And I disagree Everett, I thought that was a pretty well officiated game. For the most part, they weren’t whistle happy and let them play. They did call the arm bar frequently but I have no problems with that. What more could you ask for?

…no siht..anybody reffed the game…
…it’s a really really hard job…
…expect bad referring…

… :yikes: …

Griz til I die said:
All in all, pretty good win and pretty solid effort. I was happy to see that when adversity struck, they stayed calm and knocked down shots to stretch out the lead. That’s a good game to open conference play with. Onto a pesky UNC team that’s had our number the last 4 years.

And I disagree Everett, I thought that was a pretty well officiated game. For the most part, they weren’t whistle happy and let them play. They did call the arm bar frequently but I have no problems with that. What more could you ask for?

The problem — as it always is in the bsc — was consistency. There were times they let them play, but also long stretches where there was a whistle on damn near every trip, and in almost everyone of those instances it was a foul 30 feet from the hoop. The constant inconsistency creates doubt in the player’s minds and destroys any sense of flow to the game. This being the bsc (#bsc) I’ve seen muuuuuch worse officiating. But Grizzle hit the nail on the head: the bsc officiates games so differently than the big conferences that it puts us at a competitive disadvantage in come tournament time.

GrizLA said:
Chucknduck said:
Kyle Owens doesn’t appear to be with the team tonight. Couldn’t find him on the bench.
If he were to leave, I can understand. Montana style bball is unimaginative, predictable, and dull. It seems guard oriented but only if you don't want to do anything but pass, dribble and watch and repeat.
The problem with UM is not the fault of some perceived atrocious officials.

May I suggest you follow your own advice and leave. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find another team to tear down with you constant bitching and moaning. Montana State, perhaps?

sacstateman said:
fanofzoo said:
You in the back, how does #14 shoot 3's from forever and miss 2/3 fouls shots ?

I'll take a shot at this one.....as the Sundance Kid once said "I'm better when I move"....also, with 1.5 seconds left and down by 8, I think your concentration suffers a bit.....

No I think his did but all turned out good.

EverettGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

The problem — as it always is in the bsc — was consistency. There were times they let them play, but also long stretches where there was a whistle on damn near every trip, and in almost everyone of those instances it was a foul 30 feet from the hoop. The constant inconsistency creates doubt in the player’s minds and destroys any sense of flow to the game. This being the bsc (#bsc) I’ve seen muuuuuch worse officiating. But Grizzle hit the nail on the head: the bsc officiates games so differently than the big conferences that it puts us at a competitive disadvantage in come tournament time.

Go watch a game in Logan or Provo and then come back and say it's only a Big Sky problem

First, and you have all heard this before, there is no such thing as a Big Sky ref. In the western US the officials are managed as a group by a consortium established for that purpose. However, there is a twist that may make it seem as though you are seeing the same guys multiple times. The highest rated and usually most experienced refs get to choose where they want to go first, while the least experienced and lowest rated guys get the leftovers. So, where do you think that leaves many of our BSC venues?

Also, each year the refs are given a set of ruling points for emphasis. They are told to watch some things more closely because of complaints from coaches the previous year. Most years those points of emphasis are what we see as over zealous refs. What we are really seeing is the less eperienced refs trying their best to do what they are told and the more experienced refs taking it all with a grain of salt. Thus, what may appear like a double standard. By the end of the season, it all seems to level off.

At Weber, last night, we were lucky to have one of the old guard refs to moderate the other two. one of the other two was a hot head who seemed mad at the world, He even tried to have a fan removed, and the other was a newbie who was mostly clueless. There were a few head scratchers, but for most of the game the old guard ref kept things moderated.

When we travel to the less assessable venues in the BSC it can be a crap shoot on who might be assigned to call our games.

Good luck at UNCo.

Back