• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Andy Thompson

It’s great that he found another position & gets to continue doing what he loves. Best of luck Andy.

PlayerRep said:
Do you really not realize that a team's performance in individual games is far more often than not, based on how the players played, their execution, the number of mistakes, the numbers of turnovers by the O, and how the other team executed?

And who's responsibility are these issues?

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Do you really not realize that a team's performance in individual games is far more often than not, based on how the players played, their execution, the number of mistakes, the numbers of turnovers by the O, and how the other team executed?

...dudes on message boards. They hold coaches accountable.

Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Come on Raider, you can do better.

grizindabox said:
Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Come on Raider, you can do better.

No shit.

But yes. someone has to, Raider. :cool: :cool:

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Most the players.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
So we should never expect our D to hold after a turnover? Or we should expect our O to never turn it over because our D can’t hold against mediocre to above average teams?
That is not even close to what I'm suggesting. I'm simply pointing out a systemic issue with our offense that puts these "OMG, look how many points our defense gave up!" takes in perspective. 72% of those points given up came after the offense f***[*] up, and 41% after the offense f***[*] up multiple possessions in a row.

We didn't have a great defense this year, but even the best defenses would've struggled with how many times our offense put them in a terrible position. That's all I'm saying.

not a slam on you, 1122, but where have I heard that story before....
That's an extremely good point, and I'd even go as far as to say as scapegoat-able as Semore was his two years as DC, I don't know if his defenses were ever quite as bad as they looked, because they seemed to look the worst when the offense couldn't get anything going, or were actively putting them behind the 8-ball.

So, to sum up, I don't think either DC's defenses were good, but both had to deal with being put in bad spots (I'd argue more often than your average team) by their schizophrenic offenses. I'd also like to add that multiple players/people told me that Semore's schemes were pretty solid, but he couldn't ever get his guys to effectively execute on them, which is a failure on his part as DC.

Definitely not giving them a pass, just context.

I think I'm on the only poster who generally supported Semore, to the end. Liked the guy. Never heard a defensive player say anything negative about him. Loved to hear him talk at QB Club. Think he will do well in coaching.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Most the players.

And who coaches the players?

Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's funny shit right there!

grizaremoregooder said:
Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

It's my understanding that after losses and collapses, some of the coaches come to egriz to find out whether they got out coached.

I thought Semore’s defense was exciting at times while being too aggressive for our talent. It was generally predicated on the corners being able to play press man coverage. At the FCS level, there are few corners that can play this successfully, let alone teams with two corners having this ability. If an opposing team had a qb that could throw the deep ball and a receiver with speed then we got punished all day long. If the aggressive defense didn’t get home then we got punished as well (see 3rd down all season long in 2017). That said, if you were a playmaker on defense then you probably loved Semore’s defense. I do think Semore is very knowledgeable but just employed a scheme that didn’t fit our overall talent. He could be very successful with the right talent.

go96griz said:
I thought Semore’s defense was exciting at times while being too aggressive for our talent. It was generally predicated on the corners being able to play press man coverage. At the FCS level, there are few corners that can play this successfully, let alone teams with two corners having this ability. If an opposing team had a qb that could throw the deep ball and a receiver with speed then we got punished all day long. If the aggressive defense didn’t get home then we got punished as well (see 3rd down all season long in 2017). That said, if you were a playmaker on defense then you probably loved Semore’s defense. I do think Semore is very knowledgeable but just employed a scheme that didn’t fit our overall talent. He could be very successful with the right talent.
Good analysis. If he mis-recognized our talent, he certainly mis-recognized opposing offensive talent and what they could do to counter his over-aggressiveness. Does the name Chris Murray come to mind? It's unlikely he saw that kind of capability in his DII experience. Containment did not appear to be a part of his vocabulary. Most frustrating with Semore's defense were players still looking for the D signal from the sidelines while the offense was snapping the ball. He appeared to be a perfectionist, but without the organization to execute.

I too thought Semore played too much man coverage, but there were many times when the secondary lapses were in zone coverage. The defensive scheme and calls seemed to be complicated, and really too complicated, in my view. They simplified the calls in his last season, I was told.

I think the defensive players liked Semore and thought he was good, or at least fine. He was very interesting to listen to. He's a good guy too.

He had been a defensive or grad assistant at Oklahoma St. for 2 years before going to Mines.

He was a defensive analyst to Temple last fall. Temple was 8-4. Defensive stats looked fine.

go96griz said:

A main decision a DC needs to make is either, A. Find the talent to run his scheme, or B. Match a scheme to his talent....dude failed at both.

grizindabox said:
go96griz said:

A main decision a DC needs to make is either, A. Find the talent to run his scheme, or B. Match a scheme to his talent....dude failed at both.

Couldn’t agree more on this point.

PlayerRep said:
Or, coaches his players up to run his scheme, with some adjustment in scheme.

Or watches film to see where teams are defeating his D...and adjusts accordingly...which it didn’t seem like he did much of.

PlayerRep said:
grizaremoregooder said:
Raider said:
AZGrizFan said:

It's my understanding that after losses and collapses, some of the coaches come to egriz to find out whether they got out coached.
Coach Baer has forgotten more about football than I know. He is a veteran coach and I am pumped that he is on the staff. I think the defense is in good hands. I can't believe some of the stuff that shows up on this board sometimes.

The thing that needs to be addressed is the lack of depth on the defensive line. We need some “bigs” in the worst way.

grizaremoregooder said:
PlayerRep said:
grizaremoregooder said:
Raider said:

Coach Baer has forgotten more about football...

Should have stopped that statement right there...

Back