• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Althon Poll

AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:
The objective isn’t to appease the fan base. You can’t be serious!

Shirley, I can. Do you honestly think Haslam thinks about “how will the fans react” to whomever he is able to schedule? I don’t think that’s real high on his list of priorities.
Nor was his fixing of the game start times. It won't be a consideration unless attendance decline forces it.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
Whoever suggested this? Do you have to employ such hyperbole to amplify your argument? It does not require scheduling the NDSUs, the SDSUs or JMUs (RIP) to avoid scheduling the Ferris Sts, the Butlers, the Dixie Sts, the Oklahoma Panhandle Sts. Scheduling the latter group is not a requirement to achieving your postseason objectives.

Yes, scheduling is a challenge. Overlaying a requirement that there must be no chance to lose does not necessarily make it easier.

Well then, my point stands on its own: how much better of an OOC schedule can one make than two MVFC teams and a Southland team? It really can’t get any better than that.
Most of the pushback has related to 2023 as does my post to which you responded. Don't move the goal posts. Are you suggesting 2023 can't get any better than that?

AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:
The objective isn’t to appease the fan base. You can’t be serious!

Shirley, I can. Do you honestly think Haslam thinks about “how will the fans react” to whomever he is able to schedule? I don’t think that’s real high on his list of priorities.
I think he better be concerned about what the fans think because the fans keep the lights on. However, an AD that schedules a home and home with Dixie State doesn’t seem to be concerned about the fans.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
Well then, my point stands on its own: how much better of an OOC schedule can one make than two MVFC teams and a Southland team? It really can’t get any better than that.
Most of the pushback has related to 2023 as does my post to which you responded. Don't move the goal posts. Are you suggesting 2023 can't get any better than that?

I’ve never suggested that ANY schedule can’t get “Better”. But the implication was that THIS year’s schedule was soft and next years’ is even softer…my only point has been that the 2 objectives remain unchanged. Schedule winnable games and be home for the playoffs. A counter is a counter is a counter….

Spanky2 said:
AZGrizFan said:
I think he better be concerned about what the fans think because the fans keep the lights on. However, an AD that schedules a home and home with Dixie State doesn’t seem to be concerned about the fans.

I don't mind the H&H with Dixie. They're a non-con FCS team in the west. Our options are pretty limited. Are they good? No, but it sure beats scheduling a couple of non-scholarship teams. I don't love the DII however, and I'm hopeful that gets bought out for another FCS team if we can find one willing to come to Missoula.

GRIZ fans are funny about scheduling. They demand that Kent find six home games EVERY year, but then bitch if they don't like one he gets.

EverettGriz said:
Spanky2 said:

I don't mind the H&H with Dixie. They're a non-con FCS team in the west. Our options are pretty limited. Are they good? No, but it sure beats scheduling a couple of non-scholarship teams. I don't love the DII however, and I'm hopeful that gets bought out for another FCS team if we can find one willing to come to Missoula.

GRIZ fans are funny about scheduling. They demand that Kent find six home games EVERY year, but then bitch if they don't like one he gets.

Exactly.

When the Cats play Utah Tech the week before UM plays them next season, the Cats will consider that a credible or tough game. The next weekend, Utah Tech will be a cream puff game. Utah Tech has fairly tough schedules both years.

AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

Exactly.

So AZ, you stated that scheduling isn't done to appease that fanbase but then agree with the fact that the AD needs to schedule 6 home games to appease the fans.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

So AZ, you stated that scheduling isn't done to appease that fanbase but then agree with the fact that the AD needs to schedule 6 home games to appease the fans.

6 home games is also to appease the athletic budget.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

No I didn’t. I simply agreed with Everett’s take that the fans insist on six home games then bitch about the quality.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

No I didn’t. I simply agreed with Everett’s take that the fans insist on six home games then bitch about the quality.

So fans insist on 6 home games but the AD doesn't appease them by scheduling 6 home games...

The AD scheduling 6 home games has nothing to do with appeasing fans. Follow the money.

kemajic said:
The AD scheduling 6 home games has nothing to do with appeasing fans. Follow the money.

So what you are saying is that 5 home games plus a money game wouldn't come close to the same? I guess not if you are a hotel or restaurant in Missoula. Six home games appeases the local economy, the fans and program supporters. This thinking leads to home games against Central Washington, Ferris State, and the likes. I get it, but don't try to make it seem like appeasing program supporters isn't a big reason that a 6th home game every season matters.

HelenaHandBasket said:
kemajic said:

So what you are saying is that 5 home games plus a money game wouldn't come close to the same? I guess not if you are a hotel or restaurant in Missoula. Six home games appeases the local economy, the fans and program supporters. This thinking leads to home games against Central Washington, Ferris State, and the likes. I get it, but don't try to make it seem like appeasing program supporters isn't a big reason that a 6th home game every season matters.

Just do the math on an extra home game. The gross revenue is considerably higher than even the highest money games the Griz get. Plus, some coaches, like Hauck, don't want to play money games every year. Yes, fans and local businesses like home games too, but some fans also like money games. UM had a nice OOC schedule this year. I guess some fans will complain about anything and everything.

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Just do the math on an extra home game. The gross revenue is considerably higher than even the highest money games the Griz get. Plus, some coaches, like Hauck, don't want to play money games every year. Yes, fans and local businesses like home games too, but some fans also like money games. UM had a nice OOC schedule this year. I guess some fans will complain about anything and everything.

Just appease the fans and give them 6 home games in advance. If you have to buy one out for a money game, so be it. Look, this is the only game in the state-as much as the little brother thinks otherwise. The fans want to see the Griz play. If Haslem gets a game at ASU or WSU or OSU, then the fans will go with flow. I’ll tell you right now, the teams from the MWC want nothing to do with a game with the Griz. In the end, it’s all about Frisco, isn’t it? You play the schedule put in front of you, and get the team to peak at the right time. At this time, the BSC is pretty damn good, so I’m the end, the SOS will work itself out. Simply said, you have facility like this, so why not use it.

mthoopsfan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

PR, both can be true. I didn't say the only reason for 6 home games was to appease the fans. Also, I didn't once complain about the OOC schedule for this season, and tbh, I am fine with the OOC schedule for next season because I believe that Kent is doing the best job that he can. But you have to admit that if having a 6th home game wasn't a deal breaker for most, that they could schedule differently than bringing in a D2.

Back