• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A look at the FCS playoffs

Paytonlives said:
This year its a 24 team field with the first 8 getting seeded and a 1st round bye.
I think there are 20 teams locked into the playoffs already.

In So far:
North Dakota is in (MV Champ)
East. Ill is in (Ohio Valley Champ)
Maine is in (CAA Champ)
Sacred Heart is in (North East Conference Champ)
SE Louisiana is in (Southland Champ)

Probable Conference Champs

(Big Sky)- EWU
(Big South)- Charleston Southern
(MEAC)- Bethune-Cookman
(Patriot)- Colgate
(Pioneer)- Butler
(Southern)- Samford

Teams that are probably in:
McNeese St. (9-2)
Coastal Carolina (10-1)
Montana (9-2)
NAU (8-2)
Towson (9-2)
South Car. State (8-3)
Yougstown St. (8-3)
Tenn. St. (9-3)
Lehigh (8-2)

I love the thread about the FCS playoffs, great job. If I could add one thing is to the first post is that NDSU is the MVFC champ not North Dakota. It would be like someone calling UofMT MSU.

Good luck to the Griz this weekend in Bozeman.

Dewey

A couple of blank bracket forms if you're interested.

Silver Football's blank brackets http://silverfb.com/2013.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BracketsSilverFootball.JPG

Ralph's blank brackets http://www.collegesportingnews.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1164&d=1385054378" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BracketsRalphs.JPG

The infamous UpChuck Burton, now with his own "College Sports Journal," is saying that if Montana loses Saturday they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Hope he eats crow again.

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/779-playoffs-till-i-die-projecting-the-fcs-playoff-field-11-19-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just throwing out my $.02, but I see 24 teams as too many. I didn't like moving from 16 to 20, but I'll admit it worked out pretty well. But now that there is a pretty good shot that multiple 4-loss teams are going to be in every year... and even a (*gasp*) 5-loss team may find a way in, it really dilutes the reward aspect of the post-season.

A look at what 5 bracket predictions have for Big Sky teams. Seeds are in parentheses.

• Four have 4 BSC teams and one only has 3.
• Four have 2 BSC seeds and one has only 1.
• All have Montana, EWU, and NAU. Two have MSU, two have SUU, and one has neither.

Two haven't been updated yet this week.

A. Craig Haley, The Sports Network, 11/17
4 BSC teams: Eastern Washington (3), Northern Arizona (8), Montana, Montana State

B. No Bowls Bracketology, 11/17
4 BSC teams: Eastern Washington (3), Northern Arizona (7), Montana, Southern Utah

C. Chuck Burton, College Sports Journal, 11/19
3 BSC teams: Eastern Washington (2), Northern Arizona (7), Montana

D. Dan Evans, Beyond Sports Network, 11/10*
4 BSC teams: Eastern Washington (3), Northern Arizona, Montana, Montana State

E. College Sports Madness, 11/16*
4 BSC teams: Eastern Washington (3), Northern Arizona, Montana (7), Southern Utah

* Not updated since games played November 16.
Current as of November 21, 2013

LDopaPDX said:
Just throwing out my $.02, but I see 24 teams as too many. I didn't like moving from 16 to 20, but I'll admit it worked out pretty well. But now that there is a pretty good shot that multiple 4-loss teams are going to be in every year... and even a (*gasp*) 5-loss team may find a way in, it really dilutes the reward aspect of the post-season.

Last year, NAU was 8-3, with an FBS win, and stayed home. Three at-larges are being added, which I think is a good thing, to get all that are worthy in most years.

Back