• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2024 Griz Regular Season Predictions

Griz til I die

DONOR
Alright, it's that time of year again! it's time to start the predictions for all the Big Sky teams! I've got this timed up so that we will do one every Monday between now and the start of Fall Camp in August when we will conclude. As always, we will start with the Griz, and then go in alphabetical order after that with Cal Poly next week. With that, let's dive in!

August 31 vs. Missouri State- W. This would have been a really fun game if Bobb Petrino was still the head coach, but now the Bears are right back to being the perennial cellar dwellers of the Missouri Valley. Former Griz Iverson Young will be making his return to Wa-Griz. I don't think these guys will be the worst opponent we'll see this year, but I think we'll win handily!

September 7 @ North Dakota- W. Definitely a tricky game. We have not faced UND since 2018 when they left the Big Sky. The Fighting Hawks have had a tough offseason getting raided by the portal and several assistant coaches leaving the program. I do think UND will take a step back this year. I think this will be close most of the way but I think we pull away late and win by 10+.

September 14 vs. Morehead State- W. The Eagles are out of the Pioneer League and haven't even come remotely close to breaking into the top half of the PFL in quite some time. This one will be a big blowout with all the young guys playing in the second half.

September 21 vs. Western Carolina- W. This IMO is the marquee game of the non-conference schedule. I expect the Catamounts to be the preseason favorites to win the Socon when the poll comes out this Summer. They were really close to getting in the playoffs last year before it all fell apart. They've got more talent returning than any other team in their league. That said, we're at home and I think this will be a daunting task for them. Closer than expected, but we prevail.

September 28 @ Eastern Washington- W. Ah, the always daunting task of going to the red rug. This place has not been kind to us over the years, but if there were ever a year for us to win in Cheney, this is the year. The Eags have fallen on hard times and there's never been more pressure on them to win. Their offense will be good, but I still don't think their defense will be worth a shit. I think the Griz win comfortably and finally slay the demons.

October 5 vs. Weber State- W. I think Weber's best days are behind them. They look to me like just a middle of the road Big Sky team that's gonna be unable to turn the corner. This is Weber's first trip to Wa-Griz since 2019. This one should be no problem IMO.

October 12 vs. Northern Arizona- W. Would you believe it if I told you that this is NAU's first trip to Missoula since the infamous Case Cookus ejection game all the way back in 2017? There is nobody in their entire program that has ever been to Wa-Griz before. I think it's gonna be tough sledding for NAU this year and we get our revenge over them.

October 19 BYE. Good spot to have it.

October 26 @ Northern Colorado- W. Dark times in Greely with the Bears coming off an 0-11 season. They got a lot of soul searching to do, and this game will be over quick.

November 2 @ Cal Poly- W. Right when it looked like Cal Poly was turning the corner, they take 2 steps back with Sam Huard entering the portal and no visible signs of them moving forward. Gonna be a rough season for the Stangs. Our first trip to the beach since 2018, but this will be over by halftime.

November 9 vs. UC Davis- W. Another team who hasn't been to Wa-Griz in quite some time (2018). I think Davis is the most underrated team in the league. They're gonna be loaded on offense with Miles Hastings and Lan Larison both returning. Not to mention the huge chip on their shoulder after getting snubbed from the playoffs the last 2 years. If they can get better on Defense, they'll be a tough out for anyone. I think we win a closer than expected game.

November 16 vs. Portland State- W. Gonna be a tough year for the Viks with a brutal schedule. I bet they're out of gas by the time they get to us. No problem in this one!

November 23 @ Montana State. No prediction from me in this one. I'm way too superstitious to predict this one. What I will say though is contrary to previous results, I think this is gonna be a really close game. I don't see a blowout either way. I could see this game potentially deciding the conference title again. Should be a great game!

---------------------

I think 12-0 or 11-1 for us and I really don't think that's reaching. We're probably gonna be favored in almost every game and we got a team thats built to make another deep run. That's my prediction! Thoughts???

Very good synopsis.Do we have a good quaterback or two or three? Do we even have one ? My guess is even with a so so quaterback there is limited competition here.We have some excellent running backs and a strong O Line.The griz have traditionally been a passing team. But with the stable of quality running backs coached up we may just leave it on the ground.

Griz should be favored in every game and will have multiple ways to win while even the strongest opponents (minus MSU) will have narrower paths to victory. It’s hard to win every game but most of the toughest opponents are at home. It sets up for 12-0 or 11-1. Anything less than 10-2 would be a major surprise.

Western Carolina is not to be overlooked ... Much like Ferris State last year, an opponent that has good talent and plays in a decent conference. This could easily be a trap game if overlooking them in anticipation of conference play... plus I'm guessing we'll see lots of their fans making the pilgrimage to Missoula.

Western Carolina is not to be overlooked ... Much like Ferris State last year, an opponent that has good talent and plays in a decent conference. This could easily be a trap game if overlooking them in anticipation of conference play... plus I'm guessing we'll see lots of their fans making the pilgrimage to Missoula.
It’s definitely not a game to be overlooked. Kerwin Bell has done a great job getting that program heading in the right direction. They were right on the door of the playoffs last year.

However, their OC (his son) took a job with Pitt and took their best RB and WR with them. The QB is in the portal I believe. Bell attempted to rebuild quick through the portal. Don’t know if he is necessarily there with the culture aspect yet.

Their offense under bell was up tempo no huddle and relied heavily on the passing game to open things up. Rylan wells has been promoted from TE coach to OC, so I don’t expect much of an overhaul there.

I like the non con schedule this year. Still wish Petrino was at Missouri State for that one. Would’ve been a fun aspect in the opener.

I can see 12-0 as long as the team stays focused and takes it one game at a time. Coaching and talent are there. I think they have one game to gel as a team because UND isn't going to be easy. I can also see 9-3 if they don't stay focused.

I can see 12-0 as long as the team stays focused and takes it one game at a time. Coaching and talent are there. I can see the Griz going 12-0 if they are laser focused, have a great fall practice and come together quickly. However, I also see 9-3 if they don't stay focused. I don't see 8-4.

Missouri State is definitely not going to be a walk in the park, they have brought in some talent through the portal this year, and with the OL and RB additions, they could give UM trouble. Right now, the only real advantage I see that would give them a thumbs up, Ya, you betcha win, is they are in Wa-Griz, Week 1. That place is gonna be crazy. This game is a push for me until after fall practice is over.

After that they road trip it to UND, and while they are not NDSU, or SDSU they are not terrible, a bad result in week one could lead to confidence issues into a not easy week 2. Griz win by 10.

Week 3 is easy. They will put up 42-49 on Morehead State.

Western Carolina could be tough, but they are in our house... Enough said. Griz win by 14.

They should roll the rest of the regular season schedule, including the puddy tat's.

November 2 @ Cal Poly- W. Right when it looked like Cal Poly was turning the corner, they take 2 steps back with Sam Huard entering the portal and no visible signs of them moving forward. Gonna be a rough season for the Stangs. Our first trip to the beach since 2018, but this will be over by halftime.

November 23 @ Montana State. No prediction from me in this one. I'm way too superstitious to predict this one. What I will say though is contrary to previous results, I think this is gonna be a really close game. I don't see a blowout either way. I could see this game potentially deciding the conference title again. Should be a great game!

---------------------

I think 12-0 or 11-1 for us and I really don't think that's reaching. We're probably gonna be favored in almost every game and we got a team thats built to make another deep run. That's my prediction! Thoughts???
I wouldn't predict the scat game either way. The game is six and a half months away, and in Bozo. So, don your maroon colored glasses and listen to 'Up With Montana!' I did, and came up with a 'Good Old Grizzly Triumph Today!' The squeal of the scats will float on the air, from the tummy of the Grizzly Bear!
Great rationale, very thorough work!👍

P.S. Cal Poly is toast. Huard gonna be a Ute.

Back