• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2016 Recruiting Thread 23 Offers

"Friday Night Tykes" is a cable TV show, filmed in San Antonio. It's a tackle football show for very young kids. It's very controversial. With head coaches shouting/acting like drill instructors. And let me say this, the hitting is brutal and the athleticism (speed) is pretty damn impressive. A team from San Antonio won the Texas state championship last season.

IntuitiveGriz said:
"Friday Night Tykes" is a cable TV show, filmed in San Antonio. It's a tackle football show for very young kids. It's very controversial. With head coaches shouting/acting like drill instructors. And let me say this, the hitting is brutal and the athleticism (speed) is pretty damn impressive. A team from San Antonio won the Texas state championship last season.

Texas crowns 12 different state champions, from 1A-6A, with 2 divisions within each "A"...

The highest classification was won by a team from Allen, TX, and none of the winners were from anywhere San Antonio....there were lots of SA teams that made deep playoff runs, however....

6A-1 Champ: Allen, TX (outside Dallas) - Yes...THESE guys....
alleneagles_1-web.jpg

6A-2 Champ: Cedar Hill, TX (outside Dallas)
5A-1 Champ: Aledo, TX (west of Fort Worth)
5A-2 Champ: Ennis, TX (SE of Dallas)
4A-1 Champ: Navasota, TX (SE of College Station)
4A-2 Champ: Gilmer, TX (130 m East of Dallas)
3A-1 Champ: Cameron, TX (SE of Temple)
3A-2 Champ: Waskom, TX (Far East Texas, right on Louisiana Border)
2A-1 Champ: Canadian, TX (Far North Texas, NE of Abilene)
2A-2 Champ: Bremond, TX (Due east of Temple & Waco)
1A-1 Champ (6-man): Crowell, TX (Due north of Abilene, on OK border)
1A-2 Champ (6-man): Throckmorton, TX (Halfway between Abilene and Crowell :lol: )

IntuitiveGriz said:
dirtysoup said:
I hope they go after Andrew Grinde from CM Russell. Kid ran over, through, and around everybody last year. Gatorade POY and a chance to win it again next year. Only football player to win it twice in Montana was some guy named Dave Dickenson... (also CMR grad)

Past winners:

NAME..................YEAR.....POSITION.....SCHOOL..........CITY........

Andrew Grinde 2015 RB C.M.Russell Great Falls MT
Will Disslly 2014 TE/DE Bozeman Bozeman MT
Gunnar Brekke 2013 RB/DB Capital Helena MT
Caleb Kidder 2012 G/DE Capital Helena MT
Tanner Roderick 2011 QB Bozeman Bozeman MT
Matt Miller 2010 WR Capital Helena MT
Brock Osweiler 2009 QB Flathead Kalispell MT
Casey McMillan 2008l DT/G Billings Cent Billings MT
Matt Hustad 2007 DL Helena Helena MT
Alex Verlanic 2006 C/DT Drummond Drummond MT
Shawn Lebsock 2005 FB/LB Skyview Billings MT
Rob Schulte 2004 RB/DB Great Falls Great Falls MT
Kyle Samson 2003 QB Capital Helena MT
Ryan Grosulak 2002 RB/LB Billings West Billings MT
Mark Anderson 2001 TE Fergus Lewistown MT
Bo Bartik 2000 QB Billings West Billings MT
Pat Ryan 1999 TE/LB Billings West Billings MT
John Edwards 1998 QB Billings West Billings MT
Andy Petek 1997 LB Helena Helena MT
Ben Drinkwalter 1996 RB C.M. Russell Great Falls MT
Jon Ueland 1995 RB/WR Billings West Billings MT
Lance Lanning 1994 OT Havre Havre MT
Jason Crebo 1993 LB/TE Capital Helena MT
Joe Cummings 1992 LB/G Stevensville Stevensville MT
Dave Dickenson 1991 QB C.M. Russell Great Falls MT
David Dickerson 1990 QB C.M. Russell Great Falls MT
Chuck Mason 1989 LB Big Fork Big Fork MT
Jeff Tuss 1988 QB Captial Helena MT
Shane Collins 1987 LB/RB Bozeman Bozeman MT
Mitch Donahue 1986 LB Billings West Billings MT

Shane William Collins (born April 11, 1969 in Roundup, Montana) is a former defensive end in the National Football League for the Washington Redskins. He played college football at Arizona State University and was drafted in the second round of the 1992 NFL Draft. He graduated from Bozeman High School in Bozeman. While at ASU he was the NCAA shot put national champion in 1990. Collins was drafted in Round: 2 / Pick: 47

AZGrizFan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Texas crowns 12 different state champions, from 1A-6A, with 2 divisions within each "A"...

The highest classification was won by a team from Allen, TX, and none of the winners were from anywhere San Antonio....there were lots of SA teams that made deep playoff runs, however....

6A-1 Champ: Allen, TX (outside Dallas) - Yes...THESE guys....
alleneagles_1-web.jpg

6A-2 Champ: Cedar Hill, TX (outside Dallas)
5A-1 Champ: Aledo, TX (west of Fort Worth)
5A-2 Champ: Ennis, TX (SE of Dallas)
4A-1 Champ: Navasota, TX (SE of College Station)
4A-2 Champ: Gilmer, TX (130 m East of Dallas)
3A-1 Champ: Cameron, TX (SE of Temple)
3A-2 Champ: Waskom, TX (Far East Texas, right on Louisiana Border)
2A-1 Champ: Canadian, TX (Far North Texas, NE of Abilene)
2A-2 Champ: Bremond, TX (Due east of Temple & Waco)
1A-1 Champ (6-man): Crowell, TX (Due north of Abilene, on OK border)
1A-2 Champ (6-man): Throckmorton, TX (Halfway between Abilene and Crowell :lol: )

I wasn't talking high school football, Friday Night Tykes is a show that focuses on youth tackle football, like 6 to 13 year olds... 4 to 5 year old kids play flag.

Check this out: http://tv.esquire.com/videos/71631-friday-night-tykes-season-1-welcome-to-texas-youth-football" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Season 2 of Friday Night Tykes: Short video

https://amp.twimg.com/v/75eb6e9a-efcb-4fd8-bea2-affdea66aae9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

USA TODAY article: 'Friday Night Tykes' provides a terrifying look into Texas Youth Football

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/friday-night-tykes-youth-football-texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IntuitiveGriz said:
USA TODAY article: 'Friday Night Tykes' provides a terrifying look into Texas Youth Football

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/friday-night-tykes-youth-football-texas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is a SICK society.......

IntuitiveGriz said:
The San Antonio Outlaws won back-to-back TYFA (Texas Youth Football Association) titles this past season.
Ah.....I hadn't read it that way originally. :lol: :oops:

AZGrizFan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
The San Antonio Outlaws won back-to-back TYFA (Texas Youth Football Association) titles this past season.
Ah.....I hadn't read it that way originally. :lol: :oops:

That's cool. I really liked your post. Especially that picture. :shock: :clap:

AZGrizFan said:
Sure wish the Griz had a pipeline into Texas....living in S.A. now, there are some REALLY good players going D-II or D-III because they aren't getting the looks they really deserve. IMHO the MLB and a WR on the football team where my daughter attends HS are just two of those players...really shocked they're not playing D-I ball somewhere...and I know for a fact it's not because of grades or desire.

Rest assured, Montana is looking into Texas. Last year the Griz offered an offensive lineman who wasn't willing to play for a school so far from his home. But this year there are a number of prospects in Texas, as well as Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, and other southern states.
But as long as they can continue to pull talented kids out of the west it makes more sense for them to keep doing so, especially if those kids qualify for the Western Undergraduate Exchange program. WUE is tough because there are strict academic standards to meet. But if a player does meet those, UM (and all other schools in these western states) gets to pay as much of the student's costs as the NCAA allows, but it only counts as about 54% of a scholarship because of the denominator used.
So, though overtures are being made outside of Montana's traditional recruiting territories, there are major strategic advantages to plant roots in western prep football hotbeds.

kyle_sample said:
AZGrizFan said:
Sure wish the Griz had a pipeline into Texas....living in S.A. now, there are some REALLY good players going D-II or D-III because they aren't getting the looks they really deserve. IMHO the MLB and a WR on the football team where my daughter attends HS are just two of those players...really shocked they're not playing D-I ball somewhere...and I know for a fact it's not because of grades or desire.

Rest assured, Montana is looking into Texas. Last year the Griz offered an offensive lineman who wasn't willing to play for a school so far from his home. But this year there are a number of prospects in Texas, as well as Georgia, Tennessee, Virginia, and other southern states.
But as long as they can continue to pull talented kids out of the west it makes more sense for them to keep doing so, especially if those kids qualify for the Western Undergraduate Exchange program. WUE is tough because there are strict academic standards to meet. But if a player does meet those, UM (and all other schools in these western states) gets to pay as much of the student's costs as the NCAA allows, but it only counts as about 54% of a scholarship because of the denominator used.
So, though overtures are being made outside of Montana's traditional recruiting territories, there are major strategic advantages to plant roots in western prep football hotbeds.

Thanks for the info Kyle, hope you'll continue to visit & post.

bgbigdog said:
kyle_sample said:
AZGrizFan said:

Thanks for that info Kyle. That is the 1st time I heard of the WUE program. Most of us were not aware of that being part of recruiting. Now that you mentioned it, I wonder who will post on here claiming to know all about it? :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
bgbigdog said:
kyle_sample said:
AZGrizFan said:

Thanks for that info Kyle. That is the 1st time I heard of the WUE program. Most of us were not aware of that being part of recruiting. Now that you mentioned it, I wonder who will post on here claiming to know all about it? :thumb:

I should clarify something before that happens: Not all schools in the west take part in the program. This is a link to the schools that do: http://wiche.edu/info/publications/wueHandout.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ...and those academic standards, from what I understand, are set by the institution the prospective student is applying for. And some school limit how many applicants they will except regardless of how many meet eligibility standards

Cool good info Kyle. Doubt our coaches will actually be visiting Virginia and Georgia to recruit as I imagine that would not be cheap. But it's interesting our coaches are sending feelers out over there. I'm cool with recruiting just the NW, AZ, and California. No state has more players in the NFL than California, NBA too.

Wiche and wami used to be programs that allowed Montana kids to attend Med school and get close to in state tuition as we know there isn't an in state choice for Montana kids. I did not know it was being used for football as well . very cool

PhxGriz said:
Wiche and wami used to be programs that allowed Montana kids to attend Med school and get close to in state tuition as we know there isn't an in state choice for Montana kids. I did not know it was being used for football as well . very cool

It's not really being used for football per se, but the new staff -- and especially Stitt -- has realized how valuable the program is for the football team. The program's focus is still to get out of state kids who qualify into participating schools at a lower cost. The way the football team -- because it's an equivalency sport -- get to take advantage of it is the kids that are admitted to UM pay what amounts to a little more than in-state tuition, but that is divided (for scholarship sake) by an out of state total. So it equates to a little more than half a scholarship, so you can almost get 2 for 1

mtgrizrule said:
bgbigdog said:
kyle_sample said:
AZGrizFan said:

No trash talk here, but you should have left it at it was the 1st time you'e heard of the WUE program. And not spoken for the rest of us. :thumb:

I guess I will be the 1st to inform you that thousands of people knew about the WUE program in regards to recruiting because coach Stitt mentioned it, on Feb 4, in his signing day press conference that was streamed online. He said he will take that approach next year as well.

:egriz:

PhxGriz said:

A hs football teammate in Butte of mine was in the WWAMI program... UWash School of Med 1997, UMich residency completed in 2001.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.montana.edu/wwami/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WWAMI Medical Education Program
A Regional Partner of the University of Washington School of Medicine

A partnership with the University of Washington School of Medicine and the states of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho. Forty years of collaboration and innovation, all in the service of educating physician health-care professionals.

WWAMI is a cooperative program of the University of Washington School of Medicine and the states of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho. (The first letter of each state is where WWAMI gets its name.) It gives students residing in the Northwestern United States access to high-quality, cost-effective medical education by decentralizing the educational process and sharing existing facilities and personnel in universities and communities in the WWAMI states. Support of WWAMI by the State of Montana allows 30 qualified Montana residents to be admitted to the program each year.

WWAMI is a medical school program, not a premedical program. Students who enter the program are enrolled in the University of Washington School of Medicine, and complete their first year of medical school in their home states. This includes basic science courses and clinical experiences, both on campus and in the community. First year programs exist at Washington State University in Pullman, Washington State University in Spokane, the University of Wyoming in Laramie, the University of Alaska in Anchorage, Montana State University in Bozeman, and the University of Idaho in Moscow. At all these sites first year medical students participate in a curriculum similar to and compatible with that of the University of Washington School of Medicine’ s first year. For their second year, WWAMI student join their classmates on the Seattle Campus.

The WWAMI Medical Education Program strives to attain two main goals. The first is to make public medical education accessible to Montana residents. The second is to encourage graduates to choose careers in primary care medicine and to locate their practices in the non-metropolitan areas of the northwestern U.S. Many of these areas lack an adequate number of primary care physicians and access to healthcare in general. Additionally, the program encourages talented students, especially minority students, in the WWAMI states to enter the field of medicine.

Back