• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2014 Griz Football Recruiting (10 Signed /15 Formal admission)

Well it about time to put this baby to rest...

For those of you that have chosen to become Grizzlies...
Congratulations, as a UM grad I look fondly back to the days of my youth and UM was part of the foundation of who I am today. Enjoy each and every moment... they go by very fast.

Take school seriously enough to get good grades, but take the time to enjoy being a college student.

Remember that it is not always the fastest or biggest that is the next UM player in the pros, but it is the hardest workers that gets there.

And finally...
It was Dean Wormer said "Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life son"
but...
Meatloaf pondered that "Two out of three aint bad." :D
Be smart about your choices...

For Egriz Posters...
Thanks for all the help and the notes. I get a lot of credit that is due to you all.

Please relax and enjoy these new players.

I really hate rating classes, because we really wont know for 2 or 3 years. I know its fun, but remember most of these guys are 18 years old and need encouragement not hammering.

This season I was in the process of working on a business plan and my time for recruiting was somewhat limited, thanks again for the help.

Best wishes to all, I see a Cold Smoke and a long slumber in this bears future...

PL

AZGrizFan said:
I know it's early in the process and I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but this list looks like a whole lotta nothin'...I mean, there MIGHT be 2-3 guys on this list that we even have a snowball's chance in hell of landing...

Paytonlives said:
OFFERED BY UM (20)
QB- Travon Heanrs 6'4" 210 (Kennedy HS) Bloomington, MN (Just UM)
QB- CJ Spencer 6'1" 188 (Inderkum HS) Sacremento, CA (2 star - UM, Army & Southern Oregon)
RB/LB- AJ Hotchkins 6'0" 225 (Tigard HS) Tigard, OR (UM, Idaho & PSU)
WR- Kaelen Deboskie 5'9" 165 (Salpointe HS) Tucson, AZ(UM & Oklahoma St, North TX, NM St & West Virgina)
WR- Xaiver Crawford 6'0" 166 (Pittsburg HS) Pittsburg, CA (2-Star - UM, San Jose St. & Wyoming)
TE- Drew Sample 6'5" 235 (Newport HS) Bellevue, WA (2 Star- Has UM & Idaho Offers)
OL- Morgan Richey 6'5" 280 (Bellevue HS) Bellevue, WA (UM, CSU, Idaho, N. Dak, N. Col. & Nevada)
OL- Sam Jones 6'5" 275 (Thunderridge HS) Highlands Ranch, CO (3 Star has 10 offers)
OL- Kamryn Bennett 6'3" 275 (Centenial HS) Peoria, Arizona (UM & Air Force)
OL- Alex Anderson 6'5" 295 (Saguaro HS) Scottsdale, AZ (2 Star- UM, Colorado, CSU, OSU & San Diego St.)
OL- Natrell Curtis 6'2' 300 (Mountain Pointe HS) Phoenix, AZ (4 Star- Has 18 Offers)

DE- Shane Bowman 6'4" 243 (Bellevue HS) Bellvue, WA (UM, Neveda, UNLV & Northern Colarado)
DE- David Moa 6'4" 230 (Kearny Senior HS) San Diego, CA (3 Star-Has UM, Colorado and BYU)
DE/TE- Lane Veach 6'6" 215 (Perry HS) Gilbert, AZ
DE- Greg Menard 6'3" 218 (Lakeville North HS) Lakeville, MN (Has 6 FCS Offers)
LB- Nick Mertes 6'3" 225 (Edina SR), Minneapolis, MN (Just UM)
LB- J.R. Hunt 6'3" 180 (Chandler HS) Chandler, AZ (3 Star- Has 4 Offers)
DB- Kevin Griffin 6'1" 180 (De La Salle HS) Concord, CA (UM & WSU)
DB- Jordan Thomas 6'0" 185 (Stellar Prep) Hayward, CA (2 Star)
DB- Juwan Jones 6'4" 195 (Hamilton HS) Chandler, Arizona (3 Star- UM, CSU, New Mex St., San Diego ST.)

Deboskie? Nope. Crawford? I don't think so. Richey, Jones, Bennett, Anderson....nope,nope,nope and nope. Curtis? :lol: MAYBE Mertes and possibly Griffin on the defensive side....I appreciate shooting for the stars, but man, how about some names that we actually have a chance of landing?

Well, this turned out exactly as I suspected. Mertes turned out to be the ONLY guy on this list we landed. All I can say is I hope we didn't spend too much time and energy and limited recruiting resources courting these guys...

AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
I know it's early in the process and I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but this list looks like a whole lotta nothin'...I mean, there MIGHT be 2-3 guys on this list that we even have a snowball's chance in hell of landing...

Paytonlives said:
OFFERED BY UM (20)
QB- CJ Spencer 6'1" 188 (Inderkum HS) Sacremento, CA (2 star - UM, Army & Southern Oregon)
WR- Kaelen Deboskie 5'9" 165 (Salpointe HS) Tucson, AZ(UM & Oklahoma St, North TX, NM St & West Virgina)
WR- Xaiver Crawford 6'0" 166 (Pittsburg HS) Pittsburg, CA (2-Star - UM, San Jose St. & Wyoming)
TE- Drew Sample 6'5" 235 (Newport HS) Bellevue, WA (2 Star- Has UM & Idaho Offers)
OL- Morgan Richey 6'5" 280 (Bellevue HS) Bellevue, WA (UM, CSU, Idaho, N. Dak, N. Col. & Nevada)
OL- Sam Jones 6'5" 275 (Thunderridge HS) Highlands Ranch, CO (3 Star has 10 offers)
OL- Alex Anderson 6'5" 295 (Saguaro HS) Scottsdale, AZ (2 Star- UM, Colorado, CSU, OSU & San Diego St.)
OL- Natrell Curtis 6'2' 300 (Mountain Pointe HS) Phoenix, AZ (4 Star- Has 18 Offers)

DE- Shane Bowman 6'4" 243 (Bellevue HS) Bellvue, WA (UM, Neveda, UNLV & Northern Colarado)
DE- David Moa 6'4" 230 (Kearny Senior HS) San Diego, CA (3 Star-Has UM, Colorado and BYU)
DB- Juwan Jones 6'4" 195 (Hamilton HS) Chandler, Arizona (3 Star- UM, CSU, New Mex St., San Diego ST.)

Deboskie? Nope. Crawford? I don't think so. Richey, Jones, Bennett, Anderson....nope,nope,nope and nope. Curtis? :lol: MAYBE Mertes and possibly Griffin on the defensive side....I appreciate shooting for the stars, but man, how about some names that we actually have a chance of landing?

Well, this turned out exactly as I suspected. Mertes turned out to be the ONLY guy on this list we landed. All I can say is I hope we didn't spend too much time and energy and limited recruiting resources courting these guys...

Of this group you listed: total 20 players, 9 went to Pac 12 schools another 1 walked on at UW. That leaves 10 players: 2 to San Diego State, 1 to Oklahoma, 1 to Boise, and 1 to New Mexico. That leaves 5 players: we got one (Mertes), a QB went to UC Davis (from Sacramento) and a undersized DE went to North Dakota State (from Minn). That leaves 2 unknown. Hearns a QB from Minn and Hotchkins from Tigard (I think someone told him he was a Pac 12 Player). WE should be happy that 15 D1 players are considering the U. Not whining :cry: that we didn't get them.

OX Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Paytonlives said:
OFFERED BY UM (20)

Of this group you listed: total 20 players, 9 went to Pac 12 schools another 1 walked on at UW. That leaves 10 players: 2 to San Diego State, 1 to Oklahoma, 1 to Boise, and 1 to New Mexico. That leaves 5 players: we got one (Mertes), a QB went to UC Davis (from Sacramento) and a undersized DE went to North Dakota State (from Minn). That leaves 2 unknown. Hearns a QB from Minn and Hotchkins from Tigard (I think someone told him he was a Pac 12 Player). WE should be happy that 15 D1 players are considering the U. Not whining :cry: that we didn't get them.

I wasn't whining that we didn't get them. I never EXPECTED to get them. I would whine, however, if I found out that we spent any measurable amount of money actually recruiting them.

Paytonlives said:
Well it about time to put this baby to rest...

For those of you that have chosen to become Grizzlies...
Congratulations, as a UM grad I look fondly back to the days of my youth and UM was part of the foundation of who I am today. Enjoy each and every moment... they go by very fast.

Take school seriously enough to get good grades, but take the time to enjoy being a college student.

Remember that it is not always the fastest or biggest that is the next UM player in the pros, but it is the hardest workers that gets there.

And finally...
It was Dean Wormer said "Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life son"
but...
Meatloaf pondered that "Two out of three aint bad." :D
Be smart about your choices...

For Egriz Posters...
Thanks for all the help and the notes. I get a lot of credit that is due to you all.

Please relax and enjoy these new players.

I really hate rating classes, because we really wont know for 2 or 3 years. I know its fun, but remember most of these guys are 18 years old and need encouragement not hammering.

This season I was in the process of working on a business plan and my time for recruiting was somewhat limited, thanks again for the help.

Best wishes to all, I see a Cold Smoke and a long slumber in this bears future...

PL

Number 1: I could not agree more about stepping back and enjoying Missoula. The 6 years I was there were and will be the time that made me into who I am. I still get excited pulling into town for a game. It brings back all of the great memories.

Number 2: Any man who loves a good scotch ale(cold smoke) is alright with me. I have to load up on them when I am in Missoula because they are evidently too successful to be able to get us some here in Great Falls. By the way, not as much of an issue because "The Front" brewery in GF makes on called "Mountain Man." Awful close to the smoke. There is a new brew pub in town called mighty mo brew co that supposedly has a good one too. They better change the laws fast or kettlehouse is going to lose out on this side of the divide.

FYI, I noticed that of our (original) 24 signees and walkons, 21 had been a captain for their HS team in either/both their junior and senior years. I'm not really sure what that means other than their HS teammates and/or coaches saw them as leaders and hard workers.
However it would seem that being a team captain on your high school squad is important to the Griz coaching staff as 87% of our new recruits were.

Let's hope that attribute translates to success as a college player.

For those of you that are die hard recruiting junkies... heres the link to Scout.com 2015 UM List.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=11&cfg=null&yr=2015&pid=-1&sspid=-1&iRatingValue=-1&iGetJUCOFlag=-1&iCommitFlag=-1&iGroupbyPosition=0&toinid=781&iInterestLevelId=-1&iOffer=-1&iRecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buttegrizzle said:
Did MSU make an offer to Dalton Daum?

Ash said he was going to offer the top 2 or 3 instate guys just after signing day. I assume Daum and Sims were on that list.

wbtfg said:
Buttegrizzle said:

Ash said he was going to offer the top 2 or 3 instate guys just after signing day. I assume Daum and Sims were on that list.

Well I hope MD will make an offer too. I don't know though- MD ain't real popular here right now.

Paytonlives said:
For those of you that are die hard recruiting junkies... heres the link to Scout.com 2015 UM List.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=11&cfg=null&yr=2015&pid=-1&sspid=-1&iRatingValue=-1&iGetJUCOFlag=-1&iCommitFlag=-1&iGroupbyPosition=0&toinid=781&iInterestLevelId=-1&iOffer=-1&iRecruitVisitFlag=-1&OrderbyColumn=RatingValue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What took you so long?

Buttegrizzle said:
wbtfg said:
Buttegrizzle said:

Well I hope MD will make an offer too. I don't know though- MD ain't real popular here right now.

Curious - Why?

grizpack said:
Buttegrizzle said:
wbtfg said:
Buttegrizzle said:

Curious - Why?

Me as well? He is a Butte guy with long time connections there. It can't have anything to do with Cook, because Cook made it clear that he was not interested in any of the in state schools and he was above that. I know that Butte's coach is Arie Grey and he is an MSU grad, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Grey is a great coach but presumably has strong leanings toward blue and gold. Butte kids are getting more attention from MSU at the moment it seems. Also cause MD rescinded Dallasera's schollie which as discussed in another thread is, as they say, college football, but still unpopular locally. Mainly tho, it's that MD just doesn't get any love on egriz. Collectively we don't seem to have a lot of comfort - and I have been a strong supporter of MD since the "dark times" as they shall come to be known.

Don't get me wrong Butte is, I'd say, about 80% a Griz town.

butte isn't a football hotbed. hasn't been for a couple decades. colt was great, but that's about it. not saying we should forget that town, but we don't need to have it dictate our recruiting.

getgrizzy said:
butte isn't a football hotbed. hasn't been for a couple decades. colt was great, but that's about it. not saying we should forget that town, but we don't need to have it dictate our recruiting.

Huh? Who said that Butte should dictate recruiting? Missoula is the worst AA football town in the state and yet good individual players can be found there. It's just where you find these kids, not what community they come from.

Buttegrizzle said:
getgrizzy said:

Huh? Who said that Butte should dictate recruiting? Missoula is the worst AA football town in the state and yet good individual players can be found there. It's just where you find these kids, not what community they come from.

Actually, Missoula has a couple of good players each year. Unfortunately, they are usually at separate schools, and the teams aren't very good.

In case any of you were curious about A.J. Hotchkins (who was a recruit but rescinded), 2.1 GPA, going to a JC, wants to play FBS football. Good luck kid.
http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-8093411529842507199/tigards-aj-hotchkins-spurns-several-college-offers-instead-gambling-on-the-jc-route-to-make-his-dreams-come-true/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OX Griz said:
In case any of you were curious about A.J. Hotchkins (who was a recruit but rescinded), 2.1 GPA, going to a JC, wants to play FBS football. Good luck kid.
http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-8093411529842507199/tigards-aj-hotchkins-spurns-several-college-offers-instead-gambling-on-the-jc-route-to-make-his-dreams-come-true/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's been working hard to get it above a 2.0!?!? Sorry to tell you kid, but high school is a walk in the park. Not that college is too difficult, all depends on your major, but with the ability to skip classes whenever and nobody watching over your shoulder he better extend/improve his work ethic beyond the football field.

Back