• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2014 Griz Football Recruiting (10 Signed /15 Formal admission)

Paytonlives said:
mikegriz said:
Know nothing about how all this works, so please help me out. Why so many offers, but so few verbal commitments? Why no offers to guys from Montana high schools?

The simple answers:

UM (and most FCS Teams) have to throw out a very wide net to get the players they want (IE alot of offers- some real reaches).
Most players wait until late fall or signing day, because of the possibility of a better offer.
IE They might really like UM but Washington, UCLA and BYU have shown some interest.

Montana kids are being recruited... but
#1 Info is hard to come by. No real recruiting service for Montana
#2 Its easier on the recruiting budget to head out to Seattle and hit 10-20 schools with a lot of talent as it is to send a coach to lets say Miles City to talk with one player.
#3 They(the players) all have big dreams to play at a PAC 12 school.
#4 If they have been offered most likely its a partial scolly as UM wants to "wait and see" how they do in the fall.
#5 Depends on how many scollies UM has to offer and what possition a player plays. IE The QB from Butte probably has a UM offer, but once UM has a verbal from another QB... that offer will get pulled.

Hope that helps...

Helps a lot, thank you sir!

I know Griz have offered atleast 4 Montana guys:

Dallas Cook QB Butte
Connor Sullivan WR Ennis (Verballed to Cats)
Grant Collins LB Bozeman
Will Weyer QB Bozeman (Brother is current Griz OL Ben Weyer)
Also might have an offer out to Dissley
But look for more Montana guys and additional scholarship players to be added and maybe even a couple more verbals after Griz summer camp.

Paytonlives said:
mikegriz said:
Know nothing about how all this works, so please help me out. Why so many offers, but so few verbal commitments? Why no offers to guys from Montana high schools?

The simple answers:

UM (and most FCS Teams) have to throw out a very wide net to get the players they want (IE alot of offers- some real reaches).
Most players wait until late fall or signing day, because of the possibility of a better offer.
IE They might really like UM but Washington, UCLA and BYU have shown some interest.

#2 Its easier on the recruiting budget to head out to Seattle and hit 10-20 schools with a lot of talent as it is to send a coach to lets say Miles City to talk with one player.
#4 If they have been offered most likely its a partial scolly as UM wants to "wait and see" how they do in the fall.
#5 Depends on how many scollies UM has to offer and what possition a player plays. IE The QB from Butte probably has a UM offer, but once UM has a verbal from another QB... that offer will get pulled.

Hope that helps...

yes, thanks payton for your insight, I found this to be very helpful in how the recruiting is done...

Some good evaluations of MT kids by Colter.

http://bobcatnation.com/node/305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

krammer said:
Paytonlives said:
mikegriz said:

The simple answers:

Hope that helps...

yes, thanks payton for your insight, I found this to be very helpful in how the recruiting is done...

You are welcome.
This whole recruiting is not an exact science and makes for great drama from now until Febuary.

One other couple of notes:
A verbal can be droped by the player at anytime.
And scollies are really only a one year agreement. Though when coaches dont follow through on 4 year scollies other coaches use it against them during the recruiting process.

Verballed to another School
WR/ATH- Dionte Sykes 6'2" 190 (Chandler HS) Chandler, AZ (UCLA)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Dionte-Sykes-125475;_ylt=AgsCsgkBc1lK0FUJavH2awpIPZB4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grizfan1984 said:

Dallas Cook QB Butte
Grant Collins LB Bozeman
But look for more Montana guys and additional scholarship players to be added and maybe even a couple more verbals after Griz summer camp.

Cool, thanks for the info.

grizfan1984 said:

Dallas Cook QB Butte
Grant Collins LB Bozeman

If we don't have an offer out to Dissley, then we're doing something wrong. He's a stud.

PTGrizzly said:
If we don't have an offer out to Dissley, then we're doing something wrong. He's a stud.

The two best players in the State are Disley and Dallas Cook... and there should be little debate as both are looking for a FBS schollys and will probably get some.

It would be hard to believe that both haven't had offers from UM and msu for quite some time.

Is Cook being recruited as a QB or an Athlete? The McClean kid out of CMR has the talent at QB to be recruited at the FCS level. He was hurt most of last year and didn't play but has the sort of attributes that has to have him on people's radars.

New offer Sam jones OL
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Jones-145668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NikeGrizz said:
New offer Sam jones OL
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Jones-145668" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like he's been offered by every school west of the Mississippi. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
NikeGrizz said:
New offer Sam jones OL

Its interesting how you see a bunch of Pac12 and similar schools with offers and then the Griz. I think its good because if a recruit is searching rivals and sees a player with offers from USC, UCLA, Oregon, and the Griz he might get to thinking about us. Can't be a bad thing.

BDizzle said:
AZGrizFan said:
NikeGrizz said:
New offer Sam jones OL

Its interesting how you see a bunch of Pac12 and similar schools with offers and then the Griz. I think its good because if a recruit is searching rivals and sees a player with offers from USC, UCLA, Oregon, and the Griz he might get to thinking about us. Can't be a bad thing.

I think the real advantage is this: If these guys wash out or get disenfranchised at the FBS school they ultimately choose, the GRIZ will be/should be very high on their radar when looking for a place to land, knowing there was interest there to begin with.

Another offer David Moa.... Just wait for scout to update, I get my info before they do update. :) Also has offers from CU and BYU
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=6302391" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NikeGrizz said:
Another offer David Moa.... Just wait for scout to update, I get my info before they do update. :) Also has offers from CU and BYU
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=6302391" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This kid is a freaking STUD

Another Canada???

Bigger schools have already offered Squally Canada (Boise, CO, Co. St., Houston and Nevada). He is from the Bay Area and Jordan is from LA, but he looks very similar...5'11" 180, plays RB

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1040989/#highlights/35601382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back