• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

…men griz..psu game…

TouchdownMontana said:
Yippee!

The Griz did their best (again) to piss it away at the end. Luckily, Vazquez made his shots from the line. Not an encouraging performance ... but, as the saying goes, "a win is a win." (Especially on the road.)

GRIZ learned they can win a close game tonight
No long scoring droughts maybe just maybe they turned the corner tonight

Josh Vazquez played his best game as a Griz: 17 points (5-12/3-8), 3 assists, 1 block and 1 t.o. in 38 minutes of play. His ball handling & four straight free throws in the final seconds iced it, but he played a stellar game overall, especially is ball-handling tonight.
Dischon Thomas was equally impressivem with 25 points (9-14/5-9), 3 rebounds & 3 blocks. He had 6 assists vs. 3 t.o. but played solid D in the blocks.
Build on this. :clap: Go Griz.

Mavman said:
Lordy, I hope so!

I still think this team has talent. Maybe not great, but not really that bad. We can hope that a close win on the road will give them a boost to go on a run from here. (Which they need.)

I was watching the game last night instead of posting. I’m glad I reserved judgment. It’s funny to read all the Donnie Downer posts this morning.

I lived through Pat Kennedy. This is nothing.

Mavman said:

Like turned the corner to what? There is no corner to turn. They've been the same team for the last 3 years, its not like they are super young and not playing to their full potential or something. I see so many post where people seem to think the team just needs to activate Griz magic or they have temporarily lost their mojo. Gotta believe what they have been telling you for the last 3 years including this game. They are an inconsistent team that vacillates between slightly above average to below average. Best to hope for is more consistency in being slightly above average by the end of the year, if they do that they would be good enough to get hot for a few games and win the BSC tourney and then maybe a tourney appearance brings in money and recruits to jump start things.

AllWeatherFan said:
I was watching the game last night instead of posting. I’m glad I reserved judgment. It’s funny to read all the Donnie Downer posts this morning.

I agree with you. I don't look here during games. I think some folks on Egriz don't enjoy watching Griz athletics. I think they endure it. Last night was a great effort.

…bb forum used to be the sanctuary…
…get away from the bitch fest…
…griz football forum…
…not anymore…

… :shock: …

Dischon Thomas must’ve read AZ’s comments calling him soft cause he was anything but that last night. He was outstanding last night as was this Griz team. Down Moody and Anderson and it was no problem. Now if we can sweep the home stand against UNC and NAU, we can start to pull ourselves back into relevancy.

Mavman said:

I am not sure they turned any corners. They are a middle of the road BSC team that will win a couple games making you believe they are more and lose a few games that makes you think less. They will end up in the 5-7 range in the final standings, maybe upset a higher seeded team in their tourney opener and then call it the season.

UncleRico said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I agree with you. I don't look here during games. I think some folks on Egriz don't enjoy watching Griz athletics. I think they endure it. Last night was a great effort.

THIS!!! :clap: :clap: Agree with this 100% Of course, I witnessed the Kennedy years, so I understand the pain. The "Downer dudes" here are no different, actually, than the group of "fans" that organized to fire Mike Montgomery (y'know, he couldn't win the big ones :roll: )... and then some years later Blaine Taylor (although his situation was unique)... and then Wayne Tinkle (after only his second hear as H. C. some fans were saying that Montana State got the coach who should have been hired by Montana).
And, oh yeah (this is an edit): Don Holst, whom Kennedy replaced. Mr Holst was fired within one week of his Griz winning the Big Sky Conf. post-season tourney in Bozeman.

Last night Montana -- with two players on the bench in street clothing -- players and coaches and bench,,, left it all on the floor. Lots of hoops left to play. Go Griz.

citay said:
Sorry. I’m out for now. Life is too short to watch this offense. Until Travis demonstrates the managerial imperative of delegating an obvious weakness to a subordinate with superior knowledge, I’ll be switching over to the Lady Griz where demonstrably good things are taking place and my maroon blood courses faster.

We care only in being excited about your exit and not having to read the same complaints over and over and over.

Glass is half-full

Bannan was fantastic
Thomas was hot
They played without 2 of the primary 7
Vasquez had a great game
Handled pressure well

Glass is half-empty

PSU minutes by height:

> 6’7 - 10 min (Griz -102 min)
= 6’6 - 58 min
< 6’6 - 132 min

Conference play summary

3-1 against bottom 4 teams
0-5 against top 4 teams (0-3 at home)

PSU shot 53% from line.

grizzlyjournal said:
UncleRico said:

THIS!!! :clap: :clap: Agree with this 100% Of course, I witnessed the Kennedy years, so I understand the pain. The "Downer dudes" here are no different, actually, than the group of "fans" that organized to fire Mike Montgomery (y'know, he couldn't win the big ones :roll: )... and then some years later Blaine Taylor (although his situation was unique)... and then Wayne Tinkle (after only his second hear as H. C. some fans were saying that Montana State got the coach who should have been hired by Montana).
And, oh yeah (this is an edit): Don Holst, whom Kennedy replaced. Mr Holst was fired within one week of his Griz winning the Big Sky Conf. post-season tourney in Bozeman.

Last night Montana -- with two players on the bench in street clothing -- players and coaches and bench,,, left it all on the floor. Lots of hoops left to play. Go Griz.

Bad comparison. DeCuire is almost at 10 years of coaching. He’s had all the opportunities. Has done nothing to show he can recruit talent that doesn’t fall into his lap from unique opportunities, and has derailed a program with once great expectations. Now, you pretend to be happy with 4-6.

zengriz said:
…bb forum used to be the sanctuary…
…get away from the bitch fest…
…griz football forum…
…not anymore…

… :shock: …

Well, the basketball team used to be consistently excellent. :lol:

Now, it looks and performs a lot like the football team.

UMFan12 said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Bad comparison. DeCuire is almost at 10 years of coaching. He’s had all the opportunities. Has done nothing to show he can recruit talent that doesn’t fall into his lap from unique opportunities, and has derailed a program with once great expectations. Now, you pretend to be happy with 4-6.

Bad comparison?
Against which coach should a comparison be made?
Here are the Montana coaching records of the Big Sky Conf. era:
W-L record / Big Sky championships / NCAA appearances / NCAA wins

Travis DeCuire: 160/98 -- /3 /2 /0
Wayne Tinkle: 158-91 -- /2 /3 /0
Larry Krystkowiak: 42-20 -- /0/ 2 /1
Pat Kennedy: 23-35 -- /0 /0 /0
Don Holst: 57-56 -- /1 /1 /0
Blaine Taylor: 141-66 -- /2 /2 /0
Stew Morrill: 97-52 -- / 1 /1 /0
Mike Montgomery: 154-77 -- 1 /0 /0
Jim Brandenburg: 28-26 -- 1 /0 /0
Jud Heathcote: 80-53 -- 2/ /1 /1
George Dahlberg (1937-1955) is Montana’s winningest coach: 221-168

P.S. I couldn't figure out how to neatly justify the columns.

grizzlyjournal said:
UMFan12 said:

Bad comparison?

Under .500 in league play in league games after COVID. Living in the past. Like saying Juwan Howard isn’t starting to get a hot seat at Michigan because he started out hot. You have to continue to produce. If DeCuire doesn’t right the ship by next year, his seat should be hot. That’s the way it works.

UMFan12 said:
grizzlyjournal said:
Bad comparison?

Under .500 in league play in league games after COVID. Living in the past. Like saying Juwan Howard isn’t starting to get a hot seat at Michigan because he started out hot. You have to continue to produce. If DeCuire doesn’t right the ship by next year, his seat should be hot. That’s the way it works.

Hanging Travis’s future on what he did 5 years ago is the same as those guys bragging about what Bobby did in his FIRST stint as Griz head coach.

4-6 this year
11-9 last year
7-9 in ‘20/‘21
14-6 in 19/20.
16-4 in ‘18/‘19
16-2 in ‘17/‘18

It’s like the program fell off a Cliff because of COVID and has never recovered.

Back