• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Potentail ambush game....

Mich Griz

I just saw an interview with the president of Ferris State University (game 3). The Bulldogs are two-time Div II National Champions in Football. Their record over the last three years is 56-3. Four of the last five years they were in the finals. They are returning a lot of starters and hoping for a Three-peat.
They have had 14 players sign NFL contracts over the last 5 years and 5 are still active.
He specifically mentioned stepping up and taking on FCS competition and traveling to Missoula. These guys aren't coming in to look at mountains.
They have a great staff and lots of studs. Ferris has some less strenuous academic programs that allow them to bring in Big Ten talent. Guys that wouldn't even get a look from any Big Ten schools because of grades.
I hope our lads and staff aren't thinking this will be a scrimage. It sort of reminds me of Hauck's first year when a bunch from NDSU came in and left with a "W" :x
It's a black out night game so show up and be loud.

I've said this before but this is our toughest non-conference game. Butler and Utah Tech would both get smoked by these guys. I think it's good we play them week 3 and can get 2 games under our belt!

I keep seeing posts on eGriz about the perennial NC hunt for the Griz, year after year. #1, IF Ferris State is as good as their press indicates, and #2, the Griz are perennial FCS contenders, as many on this site contend, the difference will be depth and coaching. A good DII team vs a good FCS team. Scheduling DII teams has only a downside for our Griz. Maybe Haslam could explain why he signed them up. A loss to them will bring out the 'House for Sale' signs at Hauck and Haslam residences.

This can’t be real… please don’t lose this game. We need our SOS higher for seeding.

Try to stay in the top 25.

CatsRback said:
This can’t be real… please don’t lose this game. We need our SOS higher for seeding.

Try to stay in the top 25.

Out of spite because a cat fan asked 😂

i-dont-wanna-cartman.gif

This game won’t be close. Yes, they are good and have some players. Depth will be the difference. They are also traveling quite a ways and are playing at altitude, which matters due to depth. Bobby also learned his lesson years ago about D2 opponents.

3-7-77 said:
I keep seeing posts on eGriz about the perennial NC hunt for the Griz, year after year. #1, IF Ferris State is as good as their press indicates, and #2, the Griz are perennial FCS contenders, as many on this site contend, the difference will be depth and coaching. A good DII team vs a good FCS team. Scheduling DII teams has only a downside for our Griz. Maybe Haslam could explain why he signed them up. A loss to them will bring out the 'House for Sale' signs at Hauck and Haslam residences.
Haslam should be applauded for scheduling this game. Playing cupcakes won’t prepare us for conference play.

Mich Griz said:
I just saw an interview with the president of Ferris State University (game 3). The Bulldogs are two-time Div II National Champions in Football. Their record over the last three years is 56-3. Four of the last five years they were in the finals. They are returning a lot of starters and hoping for a Three-peat.
They have had 14 players sign NFL contracts over the last 5 years and 5 are still active.
He specifically mentioned stepping up and taking on FCS competition and traveling to Missoula. These guys aren't coming in to look at mountains.
They have a great staff and lots of studs. Ferris has some less strenuous academic programs that allow them to bring in Big Ten talent. Guys that wouldn't even get a look from any Big Ten schools because of grades.
I hope our lads and staff aren't thinking this will be a scrimage. It sort of reminds me of Hauck's first year when a bunch from NDSU came in and left with a "W" :x
It's a black out night game so show up and be loud.

Are you new here?

We are going to win this game by at least 20. Ferris is very good for Division 2. We are very good for the FCS. Its a different class of athletes and coaches, and not nearly as close as some folks here are making it sound. And Ferris is no ND State from 2003, in my opinion.

Edit -- We give out 63 scholarships, plus pay for food and some housing (I assume) for players to stay in the summer. They give out 36 and cannot pay for players to stick around to train and practice in the off season. That means that at least half of their backups are not even offered a scholarship.

Their head coach makes $30,000 a year. If he was a top tier coach, he would have left for any job paying six figures (or more) by now. Don't forget, Stitt was a DII legend to some people. We pay more than that to the every coach on our staff.

They aren't in our class/tier of football programs. This will be a beat down.

ElrodGrizzly said:
We are going to win this game by at least 20. Ferris is very good for Division 2. We are very good for the FCS. Its a different class of athletes and coaches, and not nearly as close as some folks here are making it sound. And Ferris is no ND State from 2003, in my opinion.

Edit -- We give out 63 scholarships, plus pay for food and some housing (I assume) for players to stay in the summer. They give out 36 and cannot pay for players to stick around to train and practice in the off season. That means that at least half of their backups are not even offered a scholarship.

Their head coach makes $30,000 a year. If he was a top tier coach, he would have left for any job paying six figures (or more) by now. Don't forget, Stitt was a DII legend to some people. We pay more than that to the every coach on our staff.

I agree that we will win this game, but different class of athletes? I don’t think so.

Spanky2 said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

I agree that we will win this game, but different class of athletes? I don’t think so.

Well, the beauty of this is that we will see in just a couple of months! But yea, I think there will be a visually significant difference in size and speed between the two teams. That alone doesn't assure a win, but I think the difference between DII and a good FCS team is a lot larger than people realize. Ferris is a great DII team, but I wouldn't pick them to make the playoffs in the FCS.

ElrodGrizzly said:
Spanky2 said:

Well, the beauty of this is that we will see in just a couple of months! But yea, I think there will be a visually significant difference in size and speed between the two teams. That alone doesn't assure a win, but I think the difference between DII and a good FCS team is a lot larger than people realize. Ferris is a great DII team, but I wouldn't pick them to make the playoffs in the FCS.

Take some time and read some of their bios.

ElrodGrizzly said:
Spanky2 said:
As a matter of curiosity, I poked around and found the Ferris State roster. https://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/sports/fball/2022-23/roster

Size-wise, they have a lot ... a couple dozen guys going over 300 pounds. Of course, we won't know until the game how many of those can actually play. The big surprise was how many they carry on the overall roster: Well over a hundred names. I can only recall seeing Ferris play once. Against D-II competition, they show some pretty good speed/quickness. It's easy to see how they have dominated that level.

Spanky2 said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

I went and looked through a couple, I don't know what you are wanting me to look for? Yes, they write in there that many of their players were "highly recruited" or "top prospect in x state" or whatever else. They can write anything they want there. I did go do that for ya, but I didn't see anything that knocked my socks off. If you want me to go check something out in particular, I'm happy to look at whatever one you send me.

I'm not trying to just write them off. Maybe my opinion is wrong. I'm open to other information.

IdaGriz01 said:
ElrodGrizzly said:
As a matter of curiosity, I poked around and found the Ferris State roster. https://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/sports/fball/2022-23/roster

Size-wise, they have a lot ... a couple dozen guys going over 300 pounds. Of course, we won't know until the game how many of those can actually play. The big surprise was how many they carry on the overall roster: Well over a hundred names. I can only recall seeing Ferris play once. Against D-II competition, they show some pretty good speed/quickness. It's easy to see how they have dominated that level.

27 DB's (Montana has 5 CB's and 14 Safeties on their current roster)
26 O-Linemen (Montana has 19 on the roster)
7 QB's (Montana has 5)

Wow.

ElrodGrizzly said:
Their head coach makes $30,000 a year. If he was a top tier coach, he would have left for any job paying six figures (or more) by now.

https://govsalaries.com/annese-anthony-b-28854566

Also, several articles noting he made nearly $100,000 in 2013. Knew $30,000 had to be incorrect.

81Hog said:
ElrodGrizzly said:
Their head coach makes $30,000 a year. If he was a top tier coach, he would have left for any job paying six figures (or more) by now.

https://govsalaries.com/annese-anthony-b-28854566

Also, several articles noting he made nearly $100,000 in 2013. Knew $30,000 had to be incorrect.

Your source looks much better than mine. You're likely right, and I was probably wrong on that. It sounded super low, but I haven't been able to find their actual budget anywhere or an article laying out their salary.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:

27 DB's (Montana has 5 CB's and 14 Safeties on their current roster)
26 O-Linemen (Montana has 19 on the roster)
7 QB's (Montana has 5)

Wow.

That's a lot of DBs. One has to wonder if they are really good, why DII? OP mentioned that they have B1G talent but-for grades. I would think if they had B1G talent, B1G teams would've found a way to get them on the roster by now, especially with the portal.

Famous Ohio State grad Cardale Jones: "Why should we have to go to class if we come here to play FOOTBALL, we ain't come to play SCHOOL, classes are POINTLESS." comes to mind.

ElrodGrizzly said:
Spanky2 said:

I went and looked through a couple, I don't know what you are wanting me to look for? Yes, they write in there that many of their players were "highly recruited" or "top prospect in x state" or whatever else. They can write anything they want there. I did go do that for ya, but I didn't see anything that knocked my socks off. If you want me to go check something out in particular, I'm happy to look at whatever one you send me.

I'm not trying to just write them off. Maybe my opinion is wrong. I'm open to other information.
They have several players from Florida on their roster. I believe those athletes are accustomed to playing a good level of football, maybe even as good as Montana high school football? I would also mention that at least two of their players are members of the National Honor Society which would seem to question the view expressed on this forum that they are academically inferior.

Spanky2 said:
ElrodGrizzly said:

They have several players from Florida on their roster. I believe those athletes are accustomed to playing a good level of football, maybe even as good as Montana high school football? I would also mention that at least two of their players are members of the National Honor Society which would seem to question the view expressed on this forum that they are academically inferior.

Which kind of supports the view that if they are that good, they probably wouldn't be playing DII CFB. I know next to nothing about their program, but I understand that players can develop at different times. With the portal sitting right there, if dudes get really good while playing DII, I don't know why they would stay in DII.

Pure speculation, but it could be that they are kind of like a JC in the roster makeup. A lot of JCs have a mix of guys who didn't qualify academically but have the talent to play up, and guys whose grades are just fine but have reached their talent ceilings at the JC level. You see it in JC basketball even more.

Back