Ryder Rice...

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
Missoula223
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 am

Ryder Rice...

Post by Missoula223 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 am

Heard and confirmed Rice was declined getting into the grad program he applied for. 3.4 GPA for a program in which there was no GPA requirement and no GRE requirement.

I would expect this isn’t the only situation where this is the case. Enrollment is the #1 issue at UM and they’re turning away kids like that. Amazing.

Griz til I die
eGriz Club
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:41 pm
Location: Butte, Mt

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by Griz til I die » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:24 am

Missoula223 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 am
Heard and confirmed Rice was declined getting into the grad program he applied for. 3.4 GPA for a program in which there was no GPA requirement and no GRE requirement.

I would expect this isn’t the only situation where this is the case. Enrollment is the #1 issue at UM and they’re turning away kids like that. Amazing.
How could he have not gotten in? I go to the business school and they don’t even require a GPA to get into the masters program, you just have to pass a simple entrance exam.
I was told before the game started not to encourage the students to start my favorite chant, but you did it any way (FTC)- Bobby Hauck. UM Student and lifelong #1 Griz fan

HookedonGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 6578
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by HookedonGriz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:35 am

That doesn’t seem to make any sense. What the hell

Ursus1
eGriz Club
Posts: 4040
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:57 am

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by Ursus1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 am

Basketball grad transfer from BYU also not coming now, was not admitted to a grad program at UM

HookedonGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 6578
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by HookedonGriz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:40 am

Ursus1 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 am
Basketball grad transfer from BYU also not coming now, was not admitted to a grad program at UM
I can understand that one he only had a 2.6 GPA and wanted a program that required a 3.0 but this one makes no sense to me

User avatar
04GRIZPHARMER
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:48 pm
Location: Billings

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by 04GRIZPHARMER » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:30 am

I will try to temper my full on outrage down to just extremely aggravated until more facts come out. I am sure there is more to the story, but from what little info there is, this is just PURELY ASININE!!!!

dayday
eGriz Club
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by dayday » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 am

This is utter bull and the administration needs to give some answers. Heck he has a good enough resume to even apply to the law school. I am not impressed. I wonder if there is any way for him to challenge that?

User avatar
wbtfg
Posts: 5812
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:26 am

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am

Grad school is a totally different ball game compared to undergrad. Lots of questions arise when I see something like this.

Which program did he apply? Does that program limit their numbers? How do they determine admission? What are the prerequisites? How does his application stack up against others who were accepted/denied? Is he entitled to admission to um grad school? Was he denied for being a football player? Was there a breakdown in communication between player/coaches/grad school?

What does he do now?
Last edited by wbtfg on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“He has the physical ability, plus that intangible you can’t coach — leadership skill,” Reid said. “You can’t always find it. But you feel lucky when you find someone who has it. He has it all. He’s Dave Dickenson — one of greatest quarterbacks we’ve had here — in a bigger, stronger, more athletic body. That’s Travis Lulay.”

User avatar
IdaGriz01
Posts: 8340
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: Idaho Falls

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by IdaGriz01 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:58 am

Does seem strange.

However, I can (dimly) see a rationale. College finances are weird, of course, and the numbers you see are at the mercy of the way they do their accounting (which can be even more weird).

But I'm wondering if graduate school is a net cost or net gain to the bottom line for the university. Here's why I can see it being a net loss: (1) All small classes, essentially. I personally cannot recall any graduate classes of more than about 20 students, and most were much smaller than that. (2) Most classes taught by senior, or at least higher-level, faculty. I suppose that, these days, they let affiliate faculty or even senior graduate students teach some of the basic graduate curriculum, but that seems unlikely for the more advanced courses. Bottom line: Small class size, more expensive presenters.

If that's even close to accurate, then each graduate student could be a net loss to the school. That would put a premium on applicants that fit into a research program where grant money can support his/her thesis research.

Just a thought. :twocents:

User avatar
uofmman1122
eGriz Club
Posts: 3688
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:13 pm
Location: Missoula

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by uofmman1122 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:01 pm

If there's no GPA or entrance test requirement, it has to be a class prerequisite he failed to meet, no?

Depending on the school, there are probably ways around that.

Very strange.

User avatar
SoldierGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 2896
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:59 am
Location: Displaced from the Last Best Place

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by SoldierGriz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:16 pm

IdaGriz01 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:58 am
Does seem strange.

However, I can (dimly) see a rationale. College finances are weird, of course, and the numbers you see are at the mercy of the way they do their accounting (which can be even more weird).

But I'm wondering if graduate school is a net cost or net gain to the bottom line for the university. Here's why I can see it being a net loss: (1) All small classes, essentially. I personally cannot recall any graduate classes of more than about 20 students, and most were much smaller than that. (2) Most classes taught by senior, or at least higher-level, faculty. I suppose that, these days, they let affiliate faculty or even senior graduate students teach some of the basic graduate curriculum, but that seems unlikely for the more advanced courses. Bottom line: Small class size, more expensive presenters.

If that's even close to accurate, then each graduate student could be a net loss to the school. That would put a premium on applicants that fit into a research program where grant money can support his/her thesis research.

Just a thought. :twocents:
Then ----- increasing class sizes certainly tips one of your scales ----.

But, probably wise to let this particular very good student go.
FTc, FTv, FTmissoulian

GrizGeneral
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:35 pm

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by GrizGeneral » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:19 pm

There’s obviously more to this story. Grad schools aren’t turning down qualified applicants for no reason—they want the money. Big yawn.

MTGRZ
Posts: 815
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by MTGRZ » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm

What program is he applying to?

dayday
eGriz Club
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by dayday » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Cue the Harvard of the West jokes...

dayday
eGriz Club
Posts: 1726
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by dayday » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:41 pm

MTGRZ wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm
What program is he applying to?
I believe some sort of business graduate program as he is a business major.

MTGRZ
Posts: 815
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:42 pm

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by MTGRZ » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:48 pm

dayday wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:41 pm
MTGRZ wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:38 pm
What program is he applying to?
I believe some sort of business graduate program as he is a business major.
Somebody in the grad school or the department he is applying to either REALLY doesn't like Griz football and are trying to send a message, or there was some other factor not known to the public at this time. Hope it ends well for the student and the University.

Missoula223
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:56 am

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by Missoula223 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am
Grad school is a totally different ball game compared to undergrad. Lots of questions arise when I see something like this.

Which program did he apply? Does that program limit their numbers? How do they determine admission? What are the prerequisites? How does his application stack up against others who were accepted/denied? Is he entitled to admission to um grad school? Was he denied for being a football player? Was there a breakdown in communication between player/coaches/grad school?

What does he do now?
Educational Leadership. Same as BYU kid. They do, but he was informed beforehand that this upcoming term was not close to being full.

Not going to take the time to try and get answers to all your other questions I apologize, but the basis of their reasoning was that his future goals did not meet the goals of the program. Basically because he wanted to deal with business in his future meant that this program would dictate that he could have no further involvement with the school system is how I took it.

I get there could be more questions to be answered, but the baseline of a good, Montana kid, with a high GPA should get into a program where there are virtually no requirements. Unreal.

User avatar
wbtfg
Posts: 5812
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:26 am

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:53 pm

Missoula223 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:50 am
Grad school is a totally different ball game compared to undergrad. Lots of questions arise when I see something like this.

Which program did he apply? Does that program limit their numbers? How do they determine admission? What are the prerequisites? How does his application stack up against others who were accepted/denied? Is he entitled to admission to um grad school? Was he denied for being a football player? Was there a breakdown in communication between player/coaches/grad school?

What does he do now?
Educational Leadership. Same as BYU kid. They do, but he was informed beforehand that this upcoming term was not close to being full.

Not going to take the time to try and get answers to all your other questions I apologize, but the basis of their reasoning was that his future goals did not meet the goals of the program. Basically because he wanted to deal with business in his future meant that this program would dictate that he could have no further involvement with the school system is how I took it.

I get there could be more questions to be answered, but the baseline of a good, Montana kid, with a high GPA should get into a program where there are virtually no requirements. Unreal.
My questions were mostly rhetorical, but I appreciate you taking the time to answer and provide clarity. Grad school admissions can be a total crapshoot.
“He has the physical ability, plus that intangible you can’t coach — leadership skill,” Reid said. “You can’t always find it. But you feel lucky when you find someone who has it. He has it all. He’s Dave Dickenson — one of greatest quarterbacks we’ve had here — in a bigger, stronger, more athletic body. That’s Travis Lulay.”

go96griz
Posts: 1613
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:57 pm

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by go96griz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm

There sure are a lot of assumptions being made on here without facts that will likely never be known...

SACCAT66
Posts: 1094
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Spectators Bar

Re: Ryder Rice...

Post by SACCAT66 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:25 pm

go96griz wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:59 pm
There sure are a lot of assumptions being made on here without facts that will likely never be known...
Isn't that what Message boards are all about?

Post Reply