• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NEW GRIZ: Johnny Barthel- OL Bellevue WA

While watching playoff, thought I heard announcer say they had nine players from Florida....
Just trying to say you need the best Montana players but also need best players possible to compete for the chipper...

TrenchWar said:
grizzpa said:
What % of the flagship program - ndsu - are from North Dakota?

They have very few N.D. kids on the roster, probably because of limited talent. Especially if you consider the Mon/Dac games Montana talent is far superior.
They do in fact recruit locally being that Fargo is on the Minnesota border and they are loaded with MN players.
If the Griz want to match NDSU in talent with the Oline then they need to recruit the mid-west. Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin

Don't the States of Minnesota and Wisconsin have just 2 BCS schools between them? There's over 11 million people living in those two states. Do the math.....Waaay under-tapped area for talent. Passed over players from the Big Ten and Big 12 with something to prove..... Also attract players who don't want to venture too far away from Family and friends...Good assets to have for the mighty Buffs....

Kabooom said:
Don't the States of Minnesota and Wisconsin have just 2 BCS schools between them? There's over 11 million people living in those two states. Do the math.....Waaay under-tapped area for talent. Passed over players from the Big Ten and Big 12 with something to prove..... Also attract players who don't want to venture too far away from Family and friends...Good assets to have for the mighty Buffs....

Plus, it's cold and loud in those places. Well, cold anyway...

Music to my ears......from Gogolas article:

“As a player, he’s maybe the most athletic lineman I’ve seen come out of Bellevue,” said Bellevue head coach Michael Kneip, a Bellevue alum who played offensive line for the Washington Huskies. “His athleticism and length are rare. His potential is high. He’s still long and lean and can put on 30-40 pounds. Montana got a gem.”

Kneip added: “I think he someday could be All-Big Sky on the O-Line. I could also see him being a D-Lineman as a 3-technique because he’s so athletic. Wherever he is, I expect Johnny to play tough football. He has a chip on his shoulder and plays with a nasty streak.”

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-grizzlies-get-commitment-from-potential-laden-offensive-lineman-johnny/article_06b518e3-cc12-5460-ac84-342a9856bf71.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

So this is a long-standing argument from fans, coaches, recruiters, etc. Which would you rather have as a freshman offensive tackle recruit: a long, lean, athletic frame with potential for growth or a massive, big-bodied human? A 240 lb. lean athlete or a 290 lb. mauler? Discuss. At offensive tackle, I would much rather develop the athlete.

VimSince03 said:
So this is a long-standing argument from fans, coaches, recruiters, etc. Which would you rather have as a freshman offensive tackle recruit: a long, lean, athletic frame with potential for growth or a massive, big-bodied human? A 240 lb. lean athlete or a 290 lb. mauler? Discuss. At offensive tackle, I would much rather develop the athlete.

Develop, develop, develop. when you develop you can mold them to fit the scheme you want to run. Brining in a 290 "mauler" might limit what they can do in your scheme-if they don't fit that scheme coming in. I think this kid has a bright future based on what we have seen/know at this point.

Developing also implies you don't need him NOW. I think a healthy team has an offensive line that doesn't rely on true freshman and even redshirt freshmen. Those two years of physical growth and development can sustain teams longer than relying on drop downs or big freshmen to step right in and play.

MTGRZ said:
VimSince03 said:

Develop, develop, develop. when you develop you can mold them to fit the scheme you want to run. Brining in a 290 "mauler" might limit what they can do in your scheme-if they don't fit that scheme coming in. I think this kid has a bright future based on what we have seen/know at this point.

Developing also implies you don't need him NOW. I think a healthy team has an offensive line that doesn't rely on true freshman and even redshirt freshmen. Those two years of physical growth and development can sustain teams longer than relying on drop downs or big freshmen to step right in and play.

Ive always thought an offensive line should function like an assembly line in a football program. Every year you should bring in 4-5 freshman to red shirt..build strength..put on weight, so a year or two down the road they are ready to perform....and it should continue to be the same functions happening in depth behind them.

Constantly building and reloading building and reloading. More-so than any other position. Thats what NDSU does, thats what we used to do.

MISSOULA — Johnny Barthel, a high school senior from suburban Seattle, was getting looks from teams like Boise State and Nevada, but he never got an offer from them.
The Montana football coaching staff seemed to think he should've been getting those FBS offers, and they swooped in with their own offer on Oct. 30. Forty-one days later, Barthel committed to the Griz on Monday after a visit to campus this past weekend.
“They did an in-home visit, and coach (Bobby) Hauck said the offensive line coach (Chad Germer) thought I should have been offered by UW (Washington) and that I could go to the NFL if I really wanted to and dedicate myself,” Barthel said. “Him saying that, that was cool to hear a college coach say that.

“I felt appreciated by them. They really made me feel wanted. I talked to a lot of schools, and (the Griz coaches) were consistently wanting to talk and come to visit, so I felt they were good recruiters.”
Barthel is the first commit in the class of 2019 who’s expected to play on the offensive line, a position of need for the Griz. He said the coaching staff told him he’ll redshirt in 2019 and should be in line to start by his redshirt sophomore season in 2021.
Barthel is expected to play left tackle at Montana after switching over from right tackle. He started on the offensive line the past two years at Bellevue High School in Bellevue, Washington, and also started on the defensive line in 2018.
“Left tackle is the more important position, so I like having that responsibility,” he said.
Barthel chose a full-ride scholarship from Montana over an offer from Air Force and plans to sign with the Griz later this month. He was primarily recruited by Germer and safeties coach Shann Schillinger, and he mentioned the facilities, stadium and players he met as other factors in his decision.
Standing at 6-foot-5, 260 pounds, Barthel knows he’ll have to add weight and muscle before he takes the field for the Griz.
“As a player, he’s maybe the most athletic lineman I’ve seen come out of Bellevue,” said Bellevue head coach Michael Kneip, a Bellevue alum who played offensive line for the Washington Huskies. “His athleticism and length are rare. His potential is high. He’s still long and lean and can put on 30-40 pounds. Montana got a gem.”

Barthel has primarily been a run blocker in the Wing-T offense for Bellevue, which passed the ball 10-15 times the entire season, Kneip estimated. It was there he played alongside current Griz linebacker Jace Schneider and current Montana State running back Isaiah Ifanse.
Bellevue regularly ran sweep plays, and Barthel was also responsible for trap blocking and pulling to block a cornerback or outside linebacker. He’ll have to learn more about pass blocking, but Kneip thinks Barthel has the hand use and foot movement to pick it up well.
“He’s coachable, enthusiastic and hard working,” Kneip said. “He’s a tough kid and is a hitter first and foremost. He can strike well. He’s what you want in an offensive lineman. He’s also intelligent academically and football-wise.”
Kneip added: “I think he someday could be All-Big Sky on the O-Line. I could also see him being a D-Lineman as a 3-technique because he’s so athletic. Wherever he is, I expect Johnny to play tough football. He has a chip on his shoulder and plays with a nasty streak.”
Barthel is Montana’s 14th-known commit in the class of 2019 and the seventh from outside the state of Montana. The Grizzlies’ other out-of-state commits are Joey Elwell and Kale Edwards from Idaho, Jacob McGourin and Corbin Walker from Washington, and Alex Hurlburt and Nick Ostmo from Oregon.
Montana’s in-state commits are Ryder Meyer from Fairfield, Ryan Tirrell from Loyola, Noah Ambuehl from Great Falls Central, Garrison Poetzl from Billings Senior, Trevin Gradney from Billings West, Kris Brown from Bozeman and Elias DeWaters from Sentinel.

Frank Gogola covers Griz football and prep sports for the Missoulian. Follow him on Twitter @FrankGogola or email him at [email protected].

You can add weight easy, but speed and agility are not so easy. Get this kid a couple years of college weight training and calories he will be far better than most 300 pound high school seniors that the FCS teams can actually sign. This is an investment not a quick fix and I like it. Do hope for a quick fix with other offers however.

I think 1 very common trait that Bobby is recruiting for our OL is attitude and athletes. Couple of years in the weight room, eating right, coaching and he feels like they will be ready.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Need more road graders. :shock:

MikeyGriz said:
Barthel is expected to play left tackle at Montana .
Standing at 6-foot-5, 260 pounds, Barthel knows he’ll have to add weight and muscle before he takes the field for the Griz.

Is this the longest thread about an offensive lineman without someone mentioning DOLA?

If your philosophy can fit on a t-shirt, it can also fit on a piece of toilet paper.

VimSince03 said:
Some of those 290 lbs. mauler types are pretty nimble and quick for bigger guys. Look at the incredible hulk for example.

VimSince03 said:

I'd say both. For OT prospects, the long and lean guys with a frame to develop. For OG and C prospects, the mauler. Diversity is always good and the positions along the OL are different. Rare to have a guy that can play C, OG, and OT. OL is such a developmental position and a lot can happen with those kids between the time they start getting recruited at 16-17 to when they actually play at 19-22.

SaskGriz said:
Is this the longest thread about an offensive lineman without someone mentioning DOLA?

If your philosophy can fit on a t-shirt, it can also fit on a piece of toilet paper.

One is probably more useful than the other.

cclarkblues said:
SaskGriz said:

Stay on topic please. :cool:

AZGrizFan said:
cclarkblues said:
SaskGriz said:

Stay on topic please. :cool:

Big difference between this and the main recruiting thread, but thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back