• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some DeCuire appreciation

alabamagrizzly

Not that this was necessary but just thought this was an awesome stat and a gold nugget buried in a pile of s**t that was the game last night.

The 14-point loss was the largest margin of defeat in Griz coach Travis DeCuire's tenure in Big Sky play and was just the third time UM has lost by double digits in league play since he took over the program seven years ago.

By comparison, this year’s likely Coach of the Year, Shantay Lagens of EWU, has lost 8 games by 10 or more, 2 to the Griz, including a 27 point throttling from the Griz in his 3+ years in league play. He’s also lost a tourney game by 10+, to the Griz.

Biggest kudos go to TD and the team for not folding their tent last night....that game could have gotten REALLY ugly, but it didn't. They kept their composure, chipped away, and made the final score look way more respectable than it could have been if they'd thrown in the towel.

AZGrizFan said:
Biggest kudos go to TD and the team for not folding their tent last night....that game could have gotten REALLY ugly, but it didn't. They kept their composure, chipped away, and made the final score look way more respectable than it could have been if they'd thrown in the towel.

Agreed 100% :thumb:

AllWeatherFan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Why do we keep praising poor coaching??? Coaches win with Talent and when a team has more they win we should measure the coaching performances based on what they do when the talent is there but raw. Truth is his guys are selfish, they praise greed and not smarts and the offense is atrocious. Most off the um gaurds can't stay in front of their man and the rotations are pure sh**. When is he going to take control of his team and hold the RIGHT PEOPLE accountable for poor play. Don't be surprised when he looses more pieces and isn't too happy with whats left, I've already heard they're will be 2 more transfers at the end of the year and they play major minutes. Remember this post!!!!

Callithowiseeit said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Why do we keep praising poor coaching??? Coaches win with Talent and when a team has more they win we should measure the coaching performances based on what they do when the talent is there but raw. Truth is his guys are selfish, they praise greed and not smarts and the offense is atrocious. Most off the um gaurds can't stay in front of their man and the rotations are pure sh**. When is he going to take control of his team and hold the RIGHT PEOPLE accountable for poor play. Don't be surprised when he looses more pieces and isn't too happy with whats left, I've already heard they're will be 2 more transfers at the end of the year and they play major minutes. Remember this post!!!!

Steadman, is that you?

alabamagrizzly said:
Callithowiseeit said:

Steadman, is that you?
Considering they’ve posted during several UM games while Steadman was still playing, that’s not possible.
Although with how assertive they are being saying 2 California kids who play minutes will be leaving, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen.

UMFan12 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Steadman, is that you?
Considering they’ve posted during several UM games while Steadman was still playing, that’s not possible.
Although with how assertive they are being saying 2 California kids who play minutes will be leaving, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen.

Obviously joking but definitely think they’re being over critical of Coach. He’s arguably one of the most successful coaches we’ve had at Montana and to be dumping on him the way callit is midway through his 1st bad season(7th season at the helm), leads me to think someone is carrying an inside grudge.

alabamagrizzly said:
UMFan12 said:

Obviously joking but definitely think they’re being over critical of Coach. He’s arguably one of the most successful coaches we’ve had at Montana and to be dumping on him the way callit is midway through his 1st bad season(7th season at the helm), leads me to think someone is carrying an inside grudge.

For 7 years we have been promised an up-tempo game, how much longer are you willing to wait ?

he can break clipboards that is a good sign no? does that come out of the basketball budget or general fund? lol

We should win out if the games don't get cancelled and at least be .500

fanofzoo said:
alabamagrizzly said:

For 7 years we have been promised an up-tempo game, how much longer are you willing to wait ?

BSC championships are all anyone should care about.

As for uptempo basketball, I'm for it too. Unfortunately, when a team isn't one of the elite teams, young, inexperienced and turnover prone, it's not wise to be uptempo. I get why we're not uptempo this season.

I'm very thankful and grateful for DeCuire being our coach. I do think enough time has passed for critiquing areas of needed improvement. To me, there are 2 areas that need improved, being they've been a consistent weakness.

The most obvious, we lack consistent rebounding defending solid scoring post players. In turn, we depend on small quick athletic guards to do everything. We need more focus to recruiting and developing quality post depth. All we can do this year, is go with who we have, and see if anyone emerges. Let's see what Henderson can do with 15 plus minutes.

Secondly, most seasons we have solid 3 point percentage players, but we just don't utilize the 3 point shot to our benefit. We turn down way too many open 3s with good shooters. This season we have many options here. At this point, we have much more to gain, than to lose. Take off the reigns and give the green light to the likes of Vazquez, Parker, Beasley, Whitney and anyone else who happens to have a hot hand in any 1 game. Egun, Owens, Bannan, DCH have all shown signs of being able to get hot from there too. Give those guys a yellow light, game to game.

With the lack of a consistent inside presence, we need to consistently be hitting 10 3s per game, at minimal.

1 of these 2 weaknesses are fixable and coachable now! Please Travis, have faith in your shooters, let them loose and take off those reigns.

alabamagrizzly said:
fanofzoo said:

Couldn't we have both at the same time? The two are not mutually exclusive.

MikeyGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Couldn't we have both at the same time? The two are not mutually exclusive.

They could be but obviously one is not dependent on the other since DeCuire and Montana have won the last two(with all his own recruits) and likely would have won last years also if not for the cancellation. Not to mention they made it to the title game in his first two years with someone else recruits. It’s ONE bad year and all of a sudden everyone is super critical of the Coach and his team. Also a year with a boatload of justifiable reasons why we’re struggling this year. In the immortal words of Aaron Rogers, everyone needs to calm down.

alabamagrizzly said:
UMFan12 said:

That doesn't excuse poor decision making, I've only been following the team for a few months but correct me if I'm wrong, poor shot selection, abysmal offense, selfish play, bad rotations, no real flow offensively and gaurds just dribble away the shot clock only to force a bad shot late in the shot clock. We do not create for others we try to get ours until there is no other option and then they pass and I can go on and on. Feel free to tell me who is responsible for that before you say there is a grudge, I just call it how I see it. When we play well coached teams that share the ball and make the right play we get out asses kicked and thats when coaching gets exposed.

Callithowiseeit said:
alabamagrizzly said:

That doesn't excuse poor decision making, I've only been following the team for a few months but correct me if I'm wrong, poor shot selection, abysmal offense, selfish play, bad rotations, no real flow offensively and gaurds just dribble away the shot clock only to force a bad shot late in the shot clock. We do not create for others we try to get ours until there is no other option and then they pass and I can go on and on. Feel free to tell me who is responsible for that before you say there is a grudge, I just call it how I see it. When we play well coached teams that share the ball and make the right play we get out asses kicked and thats when coaching gets exposed.

Youth. I think TD is doing more with one of the youngest line ups in all of college hoops than the majority of coaches could. There is no doubt TD can coach his ass off. This is a rebuild year. Knew it from the jump. Wait till these freshman are juniors. Even the EWU announcers were like “yikes these freshman are going to give the Big Sky fits for years”. Patience through this year will key.

Callithowiseeit said:
alabamagrizzly said:

You’ve only been following the team for a couple months but you know the players well enough to know that 2 more are planning on leaving? That makes you one of two things, a relative or a troll. So fill us in, which are you? Which players are leaving? Enlighten us on your elite status.

I only just turned 18 and voted in my first election I know everything about politics that is worth knowing. I just want free stuff....2 months oh boy probably been to the lake house a few times already.

Latest posts

Back