• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Silver Linings

citygriz

As our seniors exist stage left, their names, scoring records and accomplishments etched in Grizzly basketball lore, the Michigan game presented an optimistic look at the future of this program. This: More than half our points were scored by underclassmen, Falls, Pridgett and Anderson. Timmy was especially notable in my opinion, his athleticism and fearlessness on the grandest stage in college basketball a match for the role. While I wish Pridgett could have made some shots early, he nevertheless was our leading scorer, and his drop-step post move on Teske was the highlight shot of the game. And in three minutes, Anderson scored three points, grabbed two rebounds and dished out an assist. Okay, it was garbage time. Still, that projects out over 30 minutes to 30 points, 20 rebounds and ten assists. No question young Mr. Anderson is going to delight us over the next three years...At the tail end of his third year in this program, Donaven Dorsey showed us why he was a four-star recruit coming out of high school. He has size and athleticism, and his three-point shot is a thing a beauty. Remember: There's still a chance he returns next year. If "medical hardship" does not apply to him, I don't know who it applies to....While I don't know what the odds are of DeCuire leaving this year (and they may be much higher than I'd like to think), this game did not increase those odds. The while a victory over Michigan would have been a ticket to his choice of high-profile programs...And finally. No matter those shots didn't drop the way we knew they had to if we were to win or be competitive in this game. And no matter our seniors left with tears rather than smiles. I for one was damned proud of the defense we played, the fight we showed, and the character our kids displayed no matter the outcome. Remember, this was not James Madison or Georgia Southern, "powerhouses" in an inferior division of college football. These were not only the Big Boys of College Basketball, but the very best of the Big Boys that we were up against. And our kids looked like they belonged, and might even have made it close if the shots had dropped. We were out-sized and out-shot, but not outclassed. With the underclassmen returning, Miller and Egun joining, and one of the best freshman classes ever arriving, I think we can close the gap between us and the Michigans even more in future years.

citay said:
Timmy was especially notable in my opinion, his athleticism and fearlessness on the grandest stage in college basketball a match for the role. While I wish Pridgett could have made some shots early, he nevertheless was our leading scorer, and his drop-step post move on Teske was the highlight shot of the game. ... .At the tail end of his third year in this program, Donaven Dorsey showed us why he was a four-star recruit coming out of high school. He has size and athleticism, and his three-point shot is a thing a beauty. .

Great Post Citay. I made similar observations in the what now thread. I'm still pretty high on this team and direction the program is headed.

citay said:
As our seniors exist stage left, their names, scoring records and accomplishments etched in Grizzly basketball lore, the Michigan game presented an optimistic look at the future of this program. This: More than half our points were scored by underclassmen, Falls, Pridgett and Anderson. Timmy was especially notable in my opinion, his athleticism and fearlessness on the grandest stage in college basketball a match for the role. While I wish Pridgett could have made some shots early, he nevertheless was our leading scorer, and his drop-step post move on Teske was the highlight shot of the game. And in three minutes, Anderson scored three points, grabbed two rebounds and dished out an assist. Okay, it was garbage time. Still, that projects out over 30 minutes to 30 points, 20 rebounds and ten assists. No question young Mr. Anderson is going to delight us over the next three years...At the tail end of his third year in this program, Donaven Dorsey showed us why he was a four-star recruit coming out of high school. He has size and athleticism, and his three-point shot is a thing a beauty. Remember: There's still a chance he returns next year. If "medical hardship" does not apply to him, I don't know who it applies to....While I don't know what the odds are of DeCuire leaving this year (and they may be much higher than I'd like to think), this game did not increase those odds. The while a victory over Michigan would have been a ticket to his choice of high-profile programs...And finally. No matter those shots didn't drop the way we knew they had to if we were to win or be competitive in this game. And no matter our seniors left with tears rather than smiles. I for one was damned proud of the defense we played, the fight we showed, and the character our kids displayed no matter the outcome. Remember, this was not James Madison or Georgia Southern, "powerhouses" in an inferior division of college football. These were not only the Big Boys of College Basketball, but the very best of the Big Boys that we were up against. And our kids looked like they belonged, and might even have made it close if the shots had dropped. We were out-sized and out-shot, but not outclassed. With the underclassmen returning, Miller and Egun joining, and one of the best freshman classes ever arriving, I think we can close the gap between us and the Michigans even more in future years.

Agreed. Tired of hearing from people who know better than Decuire, and who probably could have dropped thirty against Michigan without even warming up. People need to step back and realize how hard this team fought all year, and the injuries they had. Could not ask for more. Wish the shots would have fallen, but being there in person, this team did what they needes to in order to keep it close, they just couldnā€™t buy a bucket.

citay said:

Agreed - the future is bright and this season was nothing to be ashamed of in the slightest.

AllWeatherFan said:
citay said:

Agreed - the future is bright and this season was nothing to be ashamed of in the slightest.
:thumb: Agreed (again)..I am very proud of this team and really enjoyed their accomplishments this season! Consider, just for a moment, what it must be like to be a cat fan! :lol:

I would love for Travis to be here next year. The new recruits look amazing and that is the only way Montana continues on a Gonzaga like climb to a better program.

citay said:

I think if Travis comes back and the 3 bigs take a step forward, we should expect to win 20 games again next year. Love this team and proud of them, that said we were outclassed last night, those Michigan kids were not just bigger than us, they were more skilled as well and better shooters. I think people like the narrative that the little schools are just undersized, but the reality is Kramer and Carter are as big as the guys on Mich they just are not nearly as skilled.
I think what you need to pull the upset is when the other team is bigger and stronger, you need to be more skilled or better shooters/counter their power with touch. I'm pretty sure if we just had a jump shooting contest the Michigan kids would win that. Now I know the Griz improved a lot this year shooting, aka just making open shots when you get them, but I don't think I would call anyone on the Griz a shooter except Manuel and so when we get to the tournament against bigger stronger teams its tough for us. In the BigSky we are the faster stronger (not bigger even in BSC lol) team so we can have success without many silky smooth shooters. That being said We played great D and held our own against a bigger team without a center! and if we got enough open looks to give ourselves a chance to be competitive. Compounding this is the fact that our guys feel to much pressure to be perfect and the game speeds up on them and they end up being worse than normal shooting.

Another reason our future is bright: We have some legit bigs coming through. Anderson is the real deal. I'm hoping Carter or Kramer or both develop enough to contribute. And Yogi is a possibility.

Because while the fifth year of the DeCuire regime produced a Power Five backcourt, the front line was woefully undermanned, and little wonder: Alfonso Anderson, Jared Samuelson and Karl Nicholas all transferred out. Jack Williams, the graduate transfer, announced for us, but then went to Rice. And of course, Krslovic graduated and Akoh got hurt. In a way, once Akoh went down, we were playing with half a team. We had the talent to make adjustments at the Big Sky level; not at the national level.

And when it comes to our front line, we might be in for a surprise this off season. To raise the possibility would be to give away my source, and you can never give up your sources. I'll confirm it only if it happens.

CleanHOUSE said:
"...but the reality is Kramer and Carter are as big as the guys on Mich they just are not nearly as skilled."

And, with all the playing time they saw this year, next year should be a breeze for them. :roll:

citay said:
Another reason our future is bright: We have some legit bigs coming through. Anderson is the real deal. I'm hoping Carter or Kramer or both develop enough to contribute. And Yogi is a possibility.

Because while the fifth year of the DeCuire regime produced a Power Five backcourt, the front line was woefully undermanned, and little wonder: Alfonso Anderson, Jared Samuelson and Karl Nicholas all transferred out. Jack Williams, the graduate transfer, announced for us, but then went to Rice. And of course, Krslovic graduated and Akoh got hurt. In a way, once Akoh went down, we were playing with half a team. We had the talent to make adjustments at the Big Sky level; not at the national level.

And when it comes to our front line, we might be in for a surprise this off season. To raise the possibility would be to give away my source, and you can never give up your sources. I'll confirm it only if it happens.

Excellent post and insight Citay! Thanks!

rocklobster said:
citay said:

Excellent post and insight Citay! Thanks!
What conference is the player from? Is he a jc transfer? Estimated height weight,etc.

citay said:

Juco transfer?

UMFan12 said:
citay said:

Juco transfer?
Is it Zion? :shock:

This.

citay said:
As our seniors exist stage left, their names, scoring records and accomplishments etched in Grizzly basketball lore, the Michigan game presented an optimistic look at the future of this program. This: More than half our points were scored by underclassmen, Falls, Pridgett and Anderson. Timmy was especially notable . . . And our kids looked like they belonged, and might even have made it close if the shots had dropped. We were out-sized and out-shot, but not outclassed. With the underclassmen returning, Miller and Egun joining, and one of the best freshman classes ever arriving, I think we can close the gap between us and the Michigans even more in future years.

And to add: The fact that the 2019 team is not a collection of great outside shooters was discussed here at wGriz thoroughly, and how UM needed to improve three-point shooting %. I was fearful that Manuel and Oguine and Rorie and Bobby would not have great career-best shooting games, and it happened.

citay said:

well thought out post citay! I also like Anderson's potential after putting on some weight but I see no D1 future for Carter or Kramer. Not sure who Yogi is.

Also,I think Dorsey's NCAA eligibility appeal is the key to next year's success. He's only played 3 D1 seasons, so I think that is very likely and he is, finally, ready to make an impact. He improved during the season more than any Griz in recent memory.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/donaven-dorsey-1.html

I thing about Dorsey eligibility that concerns me is that it is very similar to Kaylee Valley's, in that she missed two years due knee injuries and was going to come back for a sixth year but NCAA told she couldn't play till January of that year. And she elected to go on with her life.

citay said:

I am already looking forward to next year! Threepeet!

Latest posts

Back