Griz vs College of Idaho

Grizzly Basketball and Big Sky Conference Hoops
Zirg

Re: Griz vs College of Idaho

Post by Zirg » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 am

PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:47 pm
Griz looked good. Falls was first off bench. Dorsey came late in each half. Played 9 players in first half and 11, I think, in second half.

Not so hot free throw shooting again. Some great passing, especially in first half. Morehead scored some points. Kramer was really blocking shots. Needs to look for a shot more when he gets the ball down low. Manuel hit a couple 3's and then missed a bunch. Rorie and Pridgett had nice games. Oguine too.
Kramer's only basket was a lob-pass that I think might have gone straight in even if he didn't help dunk it in the last 6 inches. Pass him the ball on the low-blocks and he panics and has no idea what to do. This is against under-sized NAIA guys. He is better on the defensive end, but he has almost no offensive ability right now.

PlayerRep

Post by PlayerRep » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 am

Zirg wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:04 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Griz looked good. Falls was first off bench. Dorsey came late in each half. Played 9 players in first half and 11, I think, in second half.

Not so hot free throw shooting again. Some great passing, especially in first half. Morehead scored some points. Kramer was really blocking shots. Needs to look for a shot more when he gets the ball down low. Manuel hit a couple 3's and then missed a bunch. Rorie and Pridgett had nice games. Oguine too.
Kramer's only basket was a lob-pass that I think might have gone straight in even if he didn't help dunk it in the last 6 inches. Pass him the ball on the low-blocks and he panics and has no idea what to do. This is against under-sized NAIA guys. He is better on the defensive end, but he has almost no offensive ability right now.
If UM has a non-legit D-1 redshirt frosh starting, UM must be pretty bad this year or have bad coaching. 1-2 shooting, 6 rebounds (2d on team), 3 blocks, 1 steal, 1 foul and no TO, in22 minutes. Shooting 71.4% for season, with only 7 shots.

The College of Idaho roster lists 2 players at 6'8", 1 at 6'7", and 2 at 6''6".

In the last NAIA poll, College of Idaho was ranked no. 2 in the nation, and was 11-1.

GrizWhiz

Post by GrizWhiz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:16 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:25 am
Zirg wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:

If UM has a non-legit D-1 redshirt frosh starting, UM must be pretty bad this year or have bad coaching. 1-2 shooting, 6 rebounds (2d on team), 3 blocks, 1 steal, 1 foul and no TO, in22 minutes. Shooting 71.4% for season, with only 7 shots.

In the last NAIA poll, College of Idaho was ranked no. 2 in the nation, and was 11-1.
Kelby is a work in progress. However, he already is changing opponents shots, even when he does not swat them. He also is good at tipping rebounds out to teammates. This was something Fab did with regularity.

PeauxRouge

Post by PeauxRouge » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:17 pm

GrizWhiz wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:16 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Zirg wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:

Kelby is a work in progress. However, he already is changing opponents shots, even when he does not swat them. He also is good at tipping rebounds out to teammates. This was something Fab did with regularity.
I disagree with you on the bolded part, whiz. He tries to tip them but is not good at it yet. Not like Fab, anyways. Last game he whiffed quite a few and tipped one way out of bounds. If he can get himself under control, then I will agree. Kelby has the tools to be above average. I want to see him be more aggressive. I would love to have Kelby's ability (And smarts) with the attitude of Billy Reader.

PlayerRep

Post by PlayerRep » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:28 pm

GrizWhiz wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:
Zirg wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:

Our joke was that one of their posts was going to end up with more of his shots blocked by Kramer than the player was going to have points. Not only does he block and alter shots, but he usually goes straight up and doesn't foul. I think he blocked one while only being on his tiptoes. He certainly has a long way to go, but I think he has very nice upside.

maroonandsilver
eGriz Club

Post by maroonandsilver » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:23 pm

PeauxRouge wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:17 pm
GrizWhiz wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:
Zirg wrote:

I disagree with you on the bolded part, whiz. He tries to tip them but is not good at it yet. Not like Fab, anyways. Last game he whiffed quite a few and tipped one way out of bounds. If he can get himself under control, then I will agree. Kelby has the tools to be above average. I want to see him be more aggressive. I would love to have Kelby's ability (And smarts) with the attitude of Billy Reader.
Well, Billy Reader's "Attitude" didn't serve him well in his short stay at UM, did it?

PeauxRouge

Post by PeauxRouge » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:59 pm

maroonandsilver wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:23 pm
PeauxRouge wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:17 pm
GrizWhiz wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:

Well, Billy Reader's "Attitude" didn't serve him well in his short stay at UM, did it?
His smarts didn't serve him, no. His attitude on the court was a different story. Wanted the ball every time. Was vocal about it, and worked to get to the rim. That's what I want to see from Kelby. I think we may get it from Mac first, though.

rosco

Post by rosco » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:17 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Zirg wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:

Just so you know thats NAIA DII poll.

PlayerRep

Post by PlayerRep » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:24 pm

rosco wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:17 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Zirg wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:

Got it. Not sure what that is. Thx.

G-BEARS

Post by G-BEARS » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:53 am

PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:24 pm
rosco wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:
Zirg wrote:

I didn't know either. Apparently there is a Division 2 in NAIA basketball, below the division the Montana NAIA schools compete in. D2 gets less scholarships to allocate.

rosco

Post by rosco » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 am

NAIA version of NCAA D1, D2, and D3

flatheadgriz406

Post by flatheadgriz406 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 am

Zirg wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:

More like 7 inches

flatheadgriz406

Post by flatheadgriz406 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 am

ps he just turned 18.

rosco

Post by rosco » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:08 pm

That was a pretty awkward looking dunk.

GrizWhiz

Post by GrizWhiz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:27 pm

rosco wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:08 pm
That was a pretty awkward looking dunk.
Awkward how? What would you have preferred? :?

Zirg

Post by Zirg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:53 am

flatheadgriz406 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 am
ps he just turned 18.
The Griz bio gives no birthdates, inexplicably. how can a Red-Shirt frosh still be only 18? I am calling BS

PeauxRouge

Post by PeauxRouge » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:53 am

Zirg wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:53 am
flatheadgriz406 wrote:
ps he just turned 18.
The Griz bio gives no birthdates, inexplicably. how can a Red-Shirt frosh still be only 18? I am calling BS
Griz Signee DJ Carter-Hollinger is a senior in HS and is only 16 currently. Assuming he Red-Shirts, he will be an 18 y.o. RS Freshman.

cclarkblues

Post by cclarkblues » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:21 am

G-BEARS wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:53 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:24 pm
rosco wrote:
PlayerRep wrote:

I didn't know either. Apparently there is a Division 2 in NAIA basketball, below the division the Montana NAIA schools compete in. D2 gets less scholarships to allocate.
And yet College of Idaho is part of the Frontier Conference and D1 in football.
The Dude Abides

rosco

Post by rosco » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:56 am

Zirg wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:53 am
flatheadgriz406 wrote:
ps he just turned 18.
He's 19

AllWeatherFan
eGriz Club

Post by AllWeatherFan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:56 pm

rosco wrote:
So it's like the FCS of NAIA.
Turn up the Eagles, the neighbors are listening.