• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Replace Central Washington for San Diego 2020

UTGrizFan

Reading through a few threads and stumbled across the one talking about scheduling and how myself and many others were unhappy with the fact that we have scheduled a D2 program in Central Washington rather than finding another FCS foe due to the fact it doesn't help us at all in the long run for a playoff spot. I was bored and was browsing through FBS schedules and noticed the University of San Diego doesn't have a game on the 5th of September, someone needs to get on the horn and see about getting the Toreros to come to Missoula!
https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2020/team/san-diego

Sounds great, but I recall folks mentioning a NCAA rule that forbids FBS playing away games at FCS. Now we could go there, but I doubt any big payout coming from them. Not meaning or trying to sound snarky, but Economics 101 of NCAA football, unfortunately.

Horribilis said:
Sounds great, but I recall folks mentioning a NCAA rule that forbids FBS playing away games at FCS. Now we could go there, but I doubt any big payout coming from them. Not meaning or trying to sound snarky, but Economics 101 of NCAA football, unfortunately.

University of San Diego is FCS.

UTGrizFan said:
Reading through a few threads and stumbled across the one talking about scheduling and how myself and many others were unhappy with the fact that we have scheduled a D2 program in Central Washington rather than finding another FCS foe due to the fact it doesn't help us at all in the long run for a playoff spot. I was bored and was browsing through FBS schedules and noticed the University of San Diego doesn't have a game on the 5th of September, someone needs to get on the horn and see about getting the Toreros to come to Missoula!

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that we have tried to schedule them. They don't want to play out of conference games away unless they are against "peer" institutions. If they do schedule an away game, they are just going to stay in California as well.

Aztecs / Toreros what's the difference? I guess I got confused when the OP said he was looking through FBS schedules. Isn't that the school the regularly travels to the east coast for games. Now I remember, also did they not come to W Griz for a playoff game?

blackfootipa said:
... I remember hearing or reading somewhere that we have tried to schedule them. They don't want to play out of conference games away unless they are against "peer" institutions. If they do schedule an away game, they are just going to stay in California as well.
Makes sense. They are a private school, and have plenty of choices that are easier to get to. Plus, playing weak (read D-II or NAIA) OOC opponents doesn't really hurt them. They pretty much have to win the Pioneer Conference auto-bid to get into the FCS playoff anyway.

UTGrizFan said:
They probably thought CWU would be in the BSC by then.

We should just bring the cats over for a non-conference game, and then go play Tennessee State as a league game.

I'm not upset about it. The last time we played in the national championship we started the season on September 5th against a D2 opponent. I also feel like it will be a good opportunity to ease Cam Humprhey into the starting job and to get a lot of competitive minutes for our younger, less experienced players.

Univ of San Diego Toreros have been playing Big Sky teams lately. Almost beat UC Davis at home :shock:
This would be a great game for Kent to make happen in Missoula. Even a 2 for 1, go to San Diego once, bring them up twice. :thumb:

Southern California has been a good recruiting place for the Griz, would be nice to get a future game with the Aztecs too!

Back