• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

App St Is No. 25

PlayerRep

"No. 25 Appalachian State is ranked in the AP poll for the first time in school history. The Mountaineers (5-1) have not lost since opening the season with an overtime defeat at Penn State."

PlayerRep said:
"No. 25 Appalachian State is ranked in the AP poll for the first time in school history. The Mountaineers (5-1) have not lost since opening the season with an overtime defeat at Penn State."
Saw that. Congrats! to the Mountaineers.

Oso Negro said:
DIdn't they get ranked that year they beat Michigan in their own house?
They got votes in the FBS poll, as I recall, but not enough to actually get ranked. (Could be wrong, but I believe that was how it went down.)

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
You can't be successful moving up from FCS.

I wonder if anyone knows who they are, other than people who remember them from FCS?

Well apparently those who vote in the AP poll know who they are....

But small market schools can't be successful moving up from FCS.

Because Idaho.

Congrats to App St on winning 5 games against this gauntlet of teams with a combined win-loss record of 13-22:

Louisiana (Sun Belt) 3-4
Ark. State (Sun Belt) 4-3
South Alabama (Sun Belt) 2-5
Gardner Webb (FCS Big South) 1-6
Charlotte (Conf. USA) 3-4

Good thing they had a quality loss to Penn State.

runtheoption said:
Congrats to App St on winning 5 games against this gauntlet of teams with a combined win-loss record of 13-22:

Louisiana (Sun Belt) 3-4
Ark. State (Sun Belt) 4-3
South Alabama (Sun Belt) 2-5
Gardner Webb (FCS Big South) 1-6
Charlotte (Conf. USA) 3-4

Good thing they had a quality loss to Penn State.
all you can do is play the guys on your schedule...

App St is almost ranked as high as NDSU in the Sagarin ratings.

No. Iowa now the 3d ranked FCS school in the Sagarins.

MikeyGriz said:
So if they finish the year at #25, then what is their reward?

Probably a berth to the...Charmin Paper Products...wait for it...TOILET BOWL!!! Get it? Toilet Bowl! Because it's a bowl game that people in Montana don't care about, so it's like a bowl, but it's a TOILET bowl. Where people go to drop a deuce.

They long for the days when they could've won the chance to play in a triangular against the #2 FCS team and the Frisco Frisbees Football Club in front of dozens at Leonardo DiPizza Place Park and Arcade on ESPN+ and the Watch ESPN App (until it's cut off by the Spelling Bee Semifinals).

mtgrizfankb said:
Sweet sounds like they will get to play a bowl game on a Wed in December. Man...I wish I was them.

Yeah, probably the ConAgra Foods TOILET Bowl, amirite? *uptop*
Nobody in Montana even cares about those dumb games. I wonder why they even play them.

CDAGRIZ said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Sweet sounds like they will get to play a bowl game on a Wed in December. Man...I wish I was them.

Nobody in Montana even cares about those dumb games. I wonder why they even play them.

Same reason you make these posts.

cclarkblues said:
CDAGRIZ said:
mtgrizfankb said:

Same reason you make these posts.

Wait. They play bowl games to criticize the shortsightedness of some posters on eGriz.com? I guess that's actually correct in a way.

The OP is a damn liar as we all know from reading this board, there’s simply NO WAY anc fcs team can have FBS success.

Bottom line is GRIZ fans in Montana have a wildly over-distorted view of the importance of the fcs playoffs and a wildly under-distorted view of the importance of bowl games. That’s not necessarily bad, of course. It just makes their posts comparing the two seem a little silly.

Back