• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kris Klieman

Griz til I die

DONOR
Do you think there’s any chance he moves up to FBS any time soon? I mean the guys been around for 4 Year’s now, has 2 titles(likely to get a third), and is one hell of a coach and recruiter. I know he’s one of the highest paid FCS coaches but I’m sure he could make a lot of money as a Big 12 coordinator or even a head coach. Thoughts?

I was wondering the same last night. He certainly has proven himself.

However he was with NDSU during Graig Bohls time and success and sees the struggle Bohl has had at Wyoming. So maybe Kris takes pause with it?

Granted getting a head coaching job at even a mediocre P5 school, like say Oregon State, I would think Kris would have better chance for success than a Wyoming type job with a G5 school.

Or he might just realize it’s good to be King!

ORGUNGRIZ said:
I was wondering the same last night. He certainly has proven himself.

However he was with NDSU during Graig Bohls time and success and sees the struggle Bohl has had at Wyoming. So maybe Kris takes pause with it?

Granted getting a head coaching job at even a mediocre P5 school, like say Oregon State, I would think Kris would have better chance for success than a Wyoming type job with a G5 school.

Or he might just realize it’s good to be King!

Without looking it up, hasn't Bohl been successful in Laramie? At least by Wyoming standards?

Looked it up. First 2 years were not so good, but bowl team with winning records the last 2 years. Received a contract extension.

Had the same thoughts while watching the game. Seems like living in Fargo would not be all that great but he does get kids to come there for football. Also could not help but wonder what Hauck thought while he watched the game--here he is going to be in one of the most beautiful towns in North America to live in, with a Cadillac stadium, rabid fan base and a 44 million dollar athletic training facility and players reported to eagerly run through a wall for him. Who is better off?

66volvo said:
Had the same thoughts while watching the game. Seems like living in Fargo would not be all that great but he does get kids to come there for football. Also could not help but wonder what Hauck thought while he watched the game--here he is going to be in one of the most beautiful towns in North America to live in, with a Cadillac stadium, rabid fan base and a 44 million dollar athletic training facility and players reported to eagerly run through a wall for him. Who is better off?
A typical Missoula-centric comment. To your surprise, Missoula is not for everyone. Klieman is a Midwesterner through and through and is likely more comfortable there than he would be in Shangri-La. He is 3 years younger than BH.

kemajic said:
66volvo said:
A typical Missoula-centric comment. To your surprise, Missoula is not for everyone. Klieman is a Midwesterner through and through and is likely more comfortable there than he would be in Shangri-La. He is 3 years younger than BH.

I’ll start by saying this. I have family in Missoula and have very much enjoyed visiting there. I’m a pretty big outdoors guy and spend a few weeks in Missoula each year fly fishing. It’s a great city.

With that being said, there are some drawbacks to living there. First is cost of living. Absolutely outrageous for what you get. If you are lucky, you can find a house for $250k in Missoula, but it’s going to be an old fixer upper. That kind of money puts you in a brand new house almost anywhere else. Second is the liberalism. It’s kind of nauseating when your local government is comprised of ideological morons. Third is the winter. The grey inversions are depressing for a lot of people.

Personally, if I were to live in Montana it would be Billings. Great economy, affordable housing, and you are a stones throw from anything great outdoor related.

these three things came to mind when i watched a Klieman team...1. lineman, big, fast and physical is what makes the defense and offense go 2. running backs are good size with lots of speed 3. the whole team plays with intensity (no let up or give up).....almost like the big ten of old.

2011BisonAlumni said:
kemajic said:
66volvo said:

I’ll start by saying this. I have family in Missoula and have very much enjoyed visiting there. I’m a pretty big outdoors guy and spend a few weeks in Missoula each year fly fishing. It’s a great city.

With that being said, there are some drawbacks to living there. First is cost of living. Absolutely outrageous for what you get. If you are lucky, you can find a house for $250k in Missoula, but it’s going to be an old fixer upper. That kind of money puts you in a brand new house almost anywhere else. Second is the liberalism. It’s kind of nauseating when your local government is comprised of ideological morons. Third is the winter. The grey inversions are depressing for a lot of people.

Personally, if I were to live in Montana it would be Billings. Great economy, affordable housing, and you are a stones throw from anything great outdoor related.
You filled in the blanks beautifully. And 40 miles up the Yellowstone from Billings is even better, looking right up the Stillwater valley to Granite Peak. 30 I-90 min. to the city.

So you have a revenge motive whoever wins the game today; couldn't have scripted that any better. Looking so much like the old Packers. Taylor, Hornung, Kramer, Thurston, Nitschke, Starr.....Go Bison!

2011BisonAlumni said:
kemajic said:
66volvo said:

I can't wait to get back to Missoula. I am currently in Anchorage and have 7 more years until I can retire. Cost of living and housing is insane up here. You can not even think about getting into a decent house for less than $400,000.

It's also become one of the most dangerous places to live. We have shootings every day and 38 murders so far this year in a city with no more than 375,000. Economy isn't what it used to be due to downturn of oil industry and lots of problems relating to drugs. Legalized marijuana has caused tons of problems.

Can't wait to get out of here! Fishing and hunting isn't what it used to be either!

kemajic said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
kemajic said:
66volvo said:

You filled in the blanks beautifully. And 40 miles up the Yellowstone from Billings is even better, looking right up the Stillwater valley to Granite Peak. 30 I-90 min. to the city.

So you have a revenge motive whoever wins the game today; couldn't have scripted that any better. Looking so much like the old Packers. Taylor, Hornung, Kramer, Thurston, Nitschke, Starr.....Go Bison!

Exactly. That area south from Columbus is awesome. Or you can wrap down to the Bighorn Mountains if you want.

NDSU has a serious blow yesterday in losing not only two starters who are dominant cornerbacks, but a really explosive running back in Ty Brooks. On the year, they have had a ton of serious injuries.

Corners- two blown knees yesterday.

Running backs- Starter Lance Dunn, who was having an all American type year, done to hip issue. Purifoy, supposed to be third down back this year, blew out his knee game one. Ty Brooks, just separated his shoulder. Adam Cofield, knee. They are literally down to two guys. That Seth Wilson kid playing yesterday is 18.

Offensive line- starting left tackle Dillon Radutz....had tons of FBS offers including full ride to Missouri. Blew out his knee game one.

Linebackers- two deep lost two guys due to knee injuries. They both starting at one point and were replaces by redshirt freshman Jabril Cox.

Defensive Line- All American defensive end Greg Menard blew out his knee a week before game one.

Significant injuries to a lot of players.

kemajic said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
kemajic said:
66volvo said:

Exactly. That area south from Columbus is awesome. Or you can wrap down to the Bighorn Mountains if you want.

NDSU has a serious blow yesterday in losing not only two starters who are dominant cornerbacks, but a really explosive running back in Ty Brooks. On the year, they have had a ton of serious injuries.

Running backs- Starter Lance Dunn, who was having an all American type year, done to hip issue. Purifoy, supposed to be third down back this year, blew out his knee game one. Ty Brooks, just separated his shoulder. Adam Cofield, knee. They are literally down to two guys. That Seth Wilson kid playing yesterday is 18.

Offensive line- starting left tackle Dillon Radutz....had tons of FBS offers including full ride to Missouri. Blew out his knee game one.

Linebackers- two deep lost two guys due to knee injuries. They both starting at one point and were replaces by redshirt freshman Jabril Cox.

Defensive Line- All American defensive end Greg Menard blew out his knee a week before game one.

kemajic said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
kemajic said:
66volvo said:

You are so right about the view from the Columbus turn off is the most spectacular view in the Lower 48. Yes, even better than Glacier Park. One correction, Granite Peak is a sharp left off of the Stillwater Valley into the East Rosebud. Regardless boys, Montana is a true treasure no matter what corner of the state you're in.

Richard Cranium said:
kemajic said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
kemajic said:

You are so right about the view from the Columbus turn off is the most spectacular view in the Lower 48. Yes, even better than Glacier Park. One correction, Granite Peak is a sharp left off of the Stillwater Valley into the East Rosebud. Regardless boys, Montana is a true treasure no matter what corner of the state you're in.

Yep I would concur with your point on that. That Stillwater Valley is just beautiful.

Actually my favorite view in Montana is when you are approaching Red Cliffs right on Split Island on the Bighorn River. You can look back and see where the Bighorn Mountains hits the prairie and the combination of that with the cottonwood lined river is just awesome IMO.

Richard Cranium said:
kemajic said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
kemajic said:

No correction; I see Granite Peak every day (except for the snow today) looking right up the Stillwater from Columbus. From the distance, it is midway between the East and West Rosebud gaps. It is as accessible from the West Rosebud drainage (e.g. Mystic/Island lake) as it is from East Rosebud. Have done the former; not the latter. The Rosebuds of course are tributaries of the Stillwater. At the ridge above Grasshopper Glacier, you can see a spectacular view of all three drainages, the upper Stillwater, and both Rosebuds. Only the East Rosebud drainage has a trail from there.

Yes, Missoula sucks and we are glad y'all like Columbus/Stillwater better. Plus, the Clark Fork is a lousy fishery.

2011BisonAlumni said:
kemajic said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
kemajic said:

Alumni, no doubt you guys have faced a lot of injuries and are still not skipping a beat. Think of all the depth your building for down the road. But what’s your opinion on Klieman? He’s a hell of a recruiter and a great coach though, but is he here for the duration or do you think it’s only a matter of time until he gets snatched up?

kemajic said:
Richard Cranium said:
kemajic said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

No correction; I see Granite Peak every day (except for the snow today) looking right up the Stillwater from Columbus. From the distance, it is midway between the East and West Rosebud gaps. It is as accessible from the West Rosebud drainage (e.g. Mystic/Island lake) as it is from East Rosebud. Have done the former; not the latter. The Rosebuds of course are tributaries of the Stillwater. At the ridge above Grasshopper Glacier, you can see a spectacular view of all three drainages, the upper Stillwater, and both Rosebuds. Only the East Rosebud drainage has a trail from there.

I read someplace the geograpical center of Montana is in a Hoot's pasture 17 miles west of Lewistown. Don't know the accuracy of that bit of useless trivia but I like that part of the state. Great fishing in any direction, lots of game animals if one likes to hunt and still a bit of the old Montana I was raised in. It hasn't been changed too much by the influx of people as so many parts of the state has just in the last twenty years.

AllWeatherFan said:
Yes, Missoula sucks and we are glad y'all like Columbus/Stillwater better. Plus, the Clark Fork is a lousy fishery.

I enjoy the scenery of the water around Missoula, but if he’s into fishing, I’d take being on the Yellowstone any day of the week. Actually I’d take the Bighorn over anything in Montana. Unequivocally the best body of water in the state.

Back