• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

O-line from the O-line

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
The leader of the egriz know-nothing club. Your constant spouting off about UM football, which you know nothing about, is tiresome and nauseating.

:lol: That's rich.

When obstinate positivity leads to fandom gatekeeping

alabamagrizzly said:
WaGriz4life said:
Championship level skill position players on offense is a huge question mark to me.

Marcus Knight, Nick Ostmo, and Xavier Harris are the top 3 RB’s. Two Sr WR’s and a crap ton of potential from a crap ton of under classmen. I do believe we are stacked at the skill positions. That’s not including maybe the most athletically gifted TE in the league and a very athletic QB.

Kind of how I see it too, ‘Bama. It’s why the O-line is such a wild card… :|

kemajic said:
mthoopsfan said:
The leader of the egriz know-nothing club. Your constant spouting off about UM football, which you know nothing about, is tiresome and nauseating.
But thanks for your service.

Kem,

Why don't you go spend some time at your local VFW, or the VA in Helena instead of showing your envy on the interwebs. It's unbecoming.

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Marcus Knight, Nick Ostmo, and Xavier Harris are the top 3 RB’s. Two Sr WR’s and a crap ton of potential from a crap ton of under classmen. I do believe we are stacked at the skill positions. That’s not including maybe the most athletically gifted TE in the league and a very athletic QB.

The no. 1 all-American-quality back, who scored 23 rushing TD's the prior full season is out for season. The prior year's no. 2 back is hurt and hardly plays. The true frosh looks good, but keeps getting hurt and struggles to get healthy. The young transfer back gets hurt. A redshirting small receiver comes off redshirt, becomes a back, and fills the gap pretty well. 498 yards with a long of 28, and 41.5 per game average. The top 2 backs score a total of 6 TD's.

The QB gets injured and keeps getting injured. The no. 2 frosh qb, who has nice potential, struggles at times and plays like a frosh.

The top receiver from the prior year transfers to Nebraska. The other top remaining receiver never hits his stride. Another good receiver gets hurt and has only 9 catches for season.

And, according to some of the resident experts, it's all the o-line's fault. I don't recall the resident egriz experts touting the prior year's o-line when Knight had 25 TD's and set the UM record. In fact, I recall the o-line getting bashed at times by the those experts.

UM brings in several transfers who are immediate studs on the o-line, yet the resident experts complain that UM doesn't have enough true frosh o-line recruits. Hey, o-line experts, with the transfer rules, recruiting o-line has changed. Why look for a lot of frosh, who often takes a couple years to develop, when you can get experienced studs who want playing time right away.

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:

Kem,

Why don't you go spend some time at your local VFW, or the VA in Helena instead of showing your envy on the interwebs. It's unbecoming.
I guess the 12 years I spent driving disabled vets was unbecoming as well. You are unbecoming to eGriz.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

The no. 1 all-American-quality back, who scored 23 TD's the prior full season is out for season. The prior year's no. 2 back is hurt and hardly plays. The true frosh looks good, but keeps getting hurt and struggles to get healthy. The young transfer back gets hurt. A redshirting small receiver comes off redshirt, becomes a back, and fills the gap pretty well. 498 yards with a long of 28, and 41.5 per game average. The top 2 backs score a total of 6 TD's.

The QB gets injured and keeps getting injured. The no. 2 frosh qb, who has nice potential, struggles at times and plays like a frosh.

The top receiver from the prior year transfers to Nebraska. The other top remaining receiver never hits his stride. Another good receiver gets hurt and has only 9 catches for season.

And, according to some of the resident experts, it's all the o-line's fault. I don't recall the resident egriz experts touting the prior year's o-line when Knight had 23 TD's and set the UM record. In fact, I recall the o-line getting bashed at times by the those experts.

UM brings in several transfers who are immediate studs on the o-line, yet the resident experts complain that UM doesn't have enough true frosh o-line recruits. Hey, o-line experts, with the transfer rules, recruiting o-line has changed. Why look for a lot of frosh, who often takes a couple years to develop, when you can get experienced studs who want playing time right away.
Knight also had two TDs receiving for a total of 25 as a soph. He's a magnet for the endzone. Healthy, he will make the OL look very good.

I am on the fence with all of this. There have been seasons where we all "thought" the OLine would be good and then it stunk. I also see that the backs were more experienced and saw the actual holes so the OLine then looked good. We can all agree that this is by far the biggest question mark this year and until we actually see them against someone other than the Griz Defense, we need to just say what it is...a question mark. I would argue that the QB is also a question mark. He is very experienced, but not in THIS offense. I'm not worried about him, but he IS a question mark. I can't wait for week 1. Let's see how they (OL) hold up. THEN we can spout off on who's right.
I 100% agree that the staff has not had much in frosh recruiting...although recruiting in general has changed. Maybe they are looking more for occasional talent to develop and planning on portal for OL. No clue.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

The no. 1 all-American-quality back, who scored 23 rushing TD's the prior full season is out for season. The prior year's no. 2 back is hurt and hardly plays. The true frosh looks good, but keeps getting hurt and struggles to get healthy. The young transfer back gets hurt. A redshirting small receiver comes off redshirt, becomes a back, and fills the gap pretty well. 498 yards with a long of 28, and 41.5 per game average. The top 2 backs score a total of 6 TD's.

And, according to some of the resident experts, it's all the o-line's fault. I don't recall the resident egriz experts touting the prior year's o-line when Knight had 25 TD's and set the UM record. In fact, I recall the o-line getting bashed at times by the those experts.

I'm curious how you don't correlate repeated injuries to starting QB and fill in RB's to poor OL play. I know what I saw from the NEZ and it was sloppy play a lot of the season.

I'll reserve comment on this year's line until we actually see how they play. I remain optimistic.

kemajic said:
SoldierGriz said:
Kem,

I guess the 12 years I spent driving disabled vets was unbecoming as well. You are unbecoming to eGriz.

Then you know better...be better.

mthoopsfan said:
Why aren't the kicker/punter, D-ends, and even receivers question marks? Akem and Sulser gone.

The O-line stirs the drink...pretty simple. Cripes, did you even play the game?

Something happened last year and I don't know what it was. I attended the UW game last year front row 50 yardline and personally witnessed DOLA. Then I never saw it the rest of the season??
AZDoc said:
I am on the fence with all of this. There have been seasons where we all "thought" the OLine would be good and then it stunk. I also see that the backs were more experienced and saw the actual holes so the OLine then looked good. We can all agree that this is by far the biggest question mark this year and until we actually see them against someone other than the Griz Defense, we need to just say what it is...a question mark. I would argue that the QB is also a question mark. He is very experienced, but not in THIS offense. I'm not worried about him, but he IS a question mark. I can't wait for week 1. Let's see how they (OL) hold up. THEN we can spout off on who's right.
I 100% agree that the staff has not had much in frosh recruiting...although recruiting in general has changed. Maybe they are looking more for occasional talent to develop and planning on portal for OL. No clue.

grizzliesthetics said:
Something happened last year and I don't know what it was. I attended the UW game last year front row 50 yardline and personally witnessed DOLA. Then I never saw it the rest of the season??
AZDoc said:

That's what I was thinking honestly...Didn't make sense right?

horribilisfan8184 said:
mthoopsfan said:

I'm curious how you don't correlate repeated injuries to starting QB and fill in RB's to poor OL play. I know what I saw from the NEZ and it was sloppy play a lot of the season.

I'll reserve comment on this year's line until we actually see how they play. I remain optimistic.

Because the o-line didn't cause or even contribute to most of the injuries. I don't think Sulser was even touched. QB's and RB's take hits every time they run. They don't just run when they are scrambling as a result of bad blocking. Scrambling is often due to receivers not being open and can be an offensive threat for a qb who can run. When Humphrey first hurt his ankle, he had just gained 13 yards. The second time he hurt it, he was still not fully recovered and the plan had been to use it sparingly.

mthoopsfan said:
Why aren't the kicker/punter, D-ends, and even receivers question marks? Akem and Sulser gone.
I think Roberts, Grossman, White, Simpson, Bergen and Flowers will help make up for those two departures. Unfortunately, we never got to realize the full potential of Sulser, as he couldn't stay on the field in his three seasons for the Griz.

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Give me a very good QB and a back like Knight, and only an okay line. And give me a great D.

Do you attribute Knight's record TD year to his great o-line?

horribilisfan8184 said:
mthoopsfan said:

Knight was non-contact in the spring.
Ostmo was a broken ankle in practice.
Harris was a hamstring injury.
I don't remember Childs's injury, so I guess you can chalk that up to the OL if you want to.
Cam was hurt running downfield on a freak accident play ala Reese Phillips where nobody was open, and we had to score with time running out.
Sulser was injured on a punt return.

Not sure I would correlate more than one of those with poor OL play (and that's only because I don't remember the specifics of Childs's injury), but they did struggle when they had to protect for Brown when he held the ball way too long.

I'm hoping we see improvement out of the OL this year, but even if they don't, the skill players coming back will almost certainly make the offense much better than it was last season.

mthoopsfan said:
SoldierGriz said:

Give me a very good QB and a back like Knight, and only an okay line. And give me a great D.

Do you attribute Knight's record TD year to his great o-line?

My bold prediction. Casey will be All Big Sky 1st team at least 2 seasons before he is done. Forbes and Mayginnes will at least have a season of 1st or 2nd Team. All dependent on staying healthy of course. Have a healthy stud All American RB and a ton of depth there will all make a huge difference. And add a QB that has potential to do real damage running the ball as well as throw it..I went to Griz practice and Johnson is a physical and athletic QB. Last year the Griz still out rushed their opponents by 800 yards and the two young freshman averaged 4.4 yds (Harris) and 4.2 yds (Bergen) a carry!

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:

Kem,

UNBECOMING? I can only speak for myself, but I'm a little tired of hearing about your goddamned service. I'm not impressed. Evidently, you've become accustomed to being called 'Sir' for quite a while, and everyone running around kissing your ass in the 'orderly proficient military manner.' Get over it. This is the eGriz Football site. Stay on track.

3-7-77 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Kem,

UNBECOMING? I can only speak for myself, but I'm a little tired of hearing about your goddamned service. I'm not impressed. Evidently, you've become accustomed to being called 'Sir' for quite a while, and everyone running around kissing your ass in the 'orderly proficient military manner.' Get over it. This is the eGriz Football site. Stay on track.

Well, Kem was the one who brought it up. :roll:

Back