• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Who's your pick for QB?

I realize that practices are closed but what else, if anything, can you tell us about who's looked how from spring practices. I'd be interested in hearing how the rs frosh are looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
I realize that practices are closed but what else, if anything, can you tell us about who's looked how from spring practices. I'd be interested in hearing how the rs frosh are looking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Jensen looking good at QB but Phillips still the guy. A couple redshirt FR wideouts really turning heads. Calhoun sitting out of spring ball so other RBs getting lots of reps. Lots of bodies at OL.

On defense....lots of young LBs. Our starting 3 are all sitting out of contact drills this spring. Lots of bid dudes at DL, the transfer from Maryland is a monster and some of the younger guys are impressing. Young guys in the secondary. PR and others seems to feel really good about this years team. All my stuff here is second hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam A. Blitz said:
bgbigdog said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
I really like how this offense has 11 players and not just one. Like any other dominant offense, you need all units to execute in order for the offense to be effective... If you have a dominant OL and solid playmakers, you don't need an ultra-talented QB. For example, EWU's QB is widely acclaimed as the best QB in the conference, but he also had a very good OL and the best WR corpse in the country last year. The year before their QB "sucked". Do you think that was solely because of the QB or was it because their OL couldn't block anyone? It is so simple to place the blame or praise at the QB position though... It will be interesting to see how quickly you guys fall over yourselves to either praise or criticize the opening day starter and call him the savior or call for the backup.

Can't underrate QB talent that yeilds results. UNAU would have tanked badly w/o the backup stepping in when he did, even with the o-line and a pair of great receivers. Still got to know where to go with the ball & deliver it. And in Stitt's offense, the level of knowledge & talent has got to be even better to operate it effectively.

You need production out of all units in order to win championships, which is the standard that most people have placed on this team. Also, I do not agree that it takes more talent to operate this offense effectively than other offenses. It does help to have a higher football IQ, but you can make this offense work with a good QB when the OL, WR, and RB are getting the job more than a great QB when the other units are struggling. Again, it is easy to place blame on the QB and people will continue to over-value the position. That's what fans do.

I've been one of a number here who noted that the 2016 season was a coaching & team collapse, extra emphasis on coaching leadership. I get that teams win or lose, not individual players. But you may have missed long climbing trend and the not-so-new norm in football @ every level - it's a quarterback-driven game. The only way you're going to win championships with an above average, someone you'd classify as good, QB is with dominant facets - defense, special teams, o-line & running game which is how Montana won it's last championship. Not just doing their job, being productive or working well together, it's simple soul-crushing domination that wins in those circumstances.

And football IQ isn't a thing. The ability to quickly read, interpret and respond effectively to the problem presented is. What makes QB play in Stitt's offense different because that's how every position works, everyone on offense is doing that the majority of the time and the QB has to see the same things for the other 10, and deliver the ball to the spot where the weakness in the defense exists. Stitt rarely calls a "play", rather a formation & options to run/pass to force the defense to show its hand. Reading, interpreting and responding to a multiplicity of situations means you need more than an average or good QB to make things work with Stitt. If you want more proof, spend some time reviewing his coaching record and production @ mines.

Teams lose because they don't execute a viable strategy, in one of more facets of the game. There were far more overthrows & uncatchable passes last season than drops. And that was the case in the season prior. The reasons the 2016 team lost came down to coaching, leadership & motivation, not simply QB play. The season would have netted @ least one more loss had Chalich not pulled one out of the fire, and then inexplicably the following week, he lays an egg and they lose.

Everyone on a team is important, but unless you have the best-of-the-best talent, i.e., Alabama, you're not going to sniff an opportunity for a championship without a great QB. And the news is good, there's at least one on the this years roster. Not guessing, bitching about last year or hoping, I know that.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
I see that Jensen is listed as no. 3 on the recent depth chart. Where is your "looking good" comment coming from?

Last depth chart I saw said Phillips OR Hill OR Jensen

yep.

greenie's been losing it for a while now. time for a neurological exam.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
I see that Jensen is listed as no. 3 on the recent depth chart. Where is your "looking good" comment coming from?

Correct, but I go more by what I am observing in practice, the order of rotation, and the weighting of reps.

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

Correct, but I go more by what I am observing in practice, the order of rotation, and the weighting of reps.

Hey PlayerRep or anyone else that may know but are the two Friday scrimmages before the spring game on the 7th and 14th open to the public?

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

c'mon greenie, you clearly referenced the published depth chart. what's so hard about saying 'oops!'?

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

So, since it was mentioned that Jensen got the second team reps after Phillips in practice, your observation still was he is no. 3?

From the info I have received all three QB's look very good. Hill is the most athletic overall, but is playing catch up learning the offense to get more 1st team reps. Phillips is receiving most 1st team reps cause he has the best knowledge of the offense so it allows the most reps for all 1st team. Jensen and Hill have been splitting reps behind Phillips and for a RS Frosh he looks good. From what I hear at this point it is Phillips 1, and Hill/Jensen 2A/2B if that makes sense.

dayday said:
PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

Hey PlayerRep or anyone else that may know but are the two Friday scrimmages before the spring game on the 7th and 14th open to the public?

They are, all scrimmages are open

bgbigdog said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
bgbigdog said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
I really like how this offense has 11 players and not just one. Like any other dominant offense, you need all units to execute in order for the offense to be effective... If you have a dominant OL and solid playmakers, you don't need an ultra-talented QB. For example, EWU's QB is widely acclaimed as the best QB in the conference, but he also had a very good OL and the best WR corpse in the country last year. The year before their QB "sucked". Do you think that was solely because of the QB or was it because their OL couldn't block anyone? It is so simple to place the blame or praise at the QB position though... It will be interesting to see how quickly you guys fall over yourselves to either praise or criticize the opening day starter and call him the savior or call for the backup.

Can't underrate QB talent that yeilds results. UNAU would have tanked badly w/o the backup stepping in when he did, even with the o-line and a pair of great receivers. Still got to know where to go with the ball & deliver it. And in Stitt's offense, the level of knowledge & talent has got to be even better to operate it effectively.

You need production out of all units in order to win championships, which is the standard that most people have placed on this team. Also, I do not agree that it takes more talent to operate this offense effectively than other offenses. It does help to have a higher football IQ, but you can make this offense work with a good QB when the OL, WR, and RB are getting the job more than a great QB when the other units are struggling. Again, it is easy to place blame on the QB and people will continue to over-value the position. That's what fans do.

I've been one of a number here who noted that the 2016 season was a coaching & team collapse, extra emphasis on coaching leadership. I get that teams win or lose, not individual players. But you may have missed long climbing trend and the not-so-new norm in football @ every level - it's a quarterback-driven game. The only way you're going to win championships with an above average, someone you'd classify as good, QB is with dominant facets - defense, special teams, o-line & running game which is how Montana won it's last championship. Not just doing their job, being productive or working well together, it's simple soul-crushing domination that wins in those circumstances.

And football IQ isn't a thing. The ability to quickly read, interpret and respond effectively to the problem presented is. What makes QB play in Stitt's offense different because that's how every position works, everyone on offense is doing that the majority of the time and the QB has to see the same things for the other 10, and deliver the ball to the spot where the weakness in the defense exists. Stitt rarely calls a "play", rather a formation & options to run/pass to force the defense to show its hand. Reading, interpreting and responding to a multiplicity of situations means you need more than an average or good QB to make things work with Stitt. If you want more proof, spend some time reviewing his coaching record and production @ mines.

Teams lose because they don't execute a viable strategy, in one of more facets of the game. There were far more overthrows & uncatchable passes last season than drops. And that was the case in the season prior. The reasons the 2016 team lost came down to coaching, leadership & motivation, not simply QB play. The season would have netted @ least one more loss had Chalich not pulled one out of the fire, and then inexplicably the following week, he lays an egg and they lose.

Everyone on a team is important, but unless you have the best-of-the-best talent, i.e., Alabama, you're not going to sniff an opportunity for a championship without a great QB. And the news is good, there's at least one on the this years roster. Not guessing, bitching about last year or hoping, I know that.

Football IQ is a thing. It is a frequently used term by coaches, recruiters, and scouts. It is something that coaches talk to their players about developing. It is an attribute that allows some players to get through the steep learning curve and get on the field earlier than others. Talent is paramount but it doesn't matter if the kid doesn't have the mind to learn the technical and mental aspects of the position and responsibilities of the other positions.

In the games that Chalich started last year, we didn't win at ISU just because he played better and lost at UNC because he played worse. The other units also performed much better in the ISU game than the UNC game. It really wasn't so in-explicit that he struggled at UNC. The other units struggled too and the coordinating and play calling was much less effective. Add that with the advantage that UNC had a full game of film on Chalich and ISU didn't. You can make that same argument on why Brady had a good game against NDSU and Simis had a good game against UND.

NDSU won a NC last year with an above average/good QB that was in his first year starting. Honorable Mention MVC is good not great. However, they still won the chipper because of a dominant OL and DL and solid/reliable units.

I'm not arguing that QB position isn't crucially important. It is the most important position on the team, especially on a team that passes the ball as much as we do. My point is that people tend to put way too much blame or give way too much credit to the success/failure of a team on the QB position. Most people who watch football tend to watch the ball, so most people focus on the QB and skill players.

Back