• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Was McDowell a Top 25 FCS QB Last Year?

mthoopsfan

I don't know and haven't looked at any stats. Just asking. Now that he appears to be gone-gone, to McNeese, I thought we could have a discussion. I'm curious as to what posters think.

After looking up several relevant NCAA stats, I'd say no. His highest rank was #32 in Passing Yards Per Completion (12.7 yards per completion). He was #49 in Passing Efficiency (133.4). The formula for this is complicated, but the #1 guy (the SDSU QB) had a rating of 179.7. The Idaho QB had the best in the Big Sky at 143.2.
Others:
#62 in Completion Rate (58.4% completions).
#70 in Points Responsible For (8.9 per game).
#71 in Total Offense (185.3 YPG)

We know he was a leader, a vital cog in an offense that won ten games in a row, while scoring over 34 points per game. That's got to count for something. But there's no stat where McDowell shows up with a high ranking.

Let's start with the question 'Was McDowell a Top 25 BSC QB Last year?' There were only 12 teams, so how tough is that question?
If we can all agree on that, THEN we can move on to the FCS. Here, we may need to adjust our sights a bit for elevation.

He was a good and tough runner, and good scrambler. If there were rankings, maybe top 10 there. He had a knack for converting 3 downs. He was durable. He didn’t throw many picks. Could have fumbled less.

I would say in the Davis,Idaho, Sac St, PSU and Cat games he was for sure in top 15. Didn't play enough before that to include much. Played pretty conservative but still made some big plays in playoffs. So my opinion is yes he was in top 25.

Depends on how anyone measures the criteria.

Statistically and limited passing game, absolutely not.

Leadership, toughness, and overall results, definitely so.

Personally, I'd rather have a qb that is a true passing threat and can win games through the air, if needed.

Granted, qb play was inconsistent in the scrimmage, but all the qbs appear to be good to terrific passers.

Nice thing is, our running game is top notch. That will make implementing a new offensive scheme much easier this coming season.

McDowell brought tangibles that you can’t measure so it’s impossible so say he was top 25. You can say he was the leader and starting QB for the #2 team in the country though so that should go along way, especially considering most would agree we are not a #2 team and possibly not a playoff team w/out him.

I'd be interested how many FCS QBs could:

1) Survive physically and confidence-wise in the Griz offense and behind the Griz line for as long as Cliff did.
2) Produce and win like he did while doing it.

If we pull the conversation out of a vacuum, I think we can narrow it down from 25 to maybe a handful.

I fully acknowledge that we won despite Cliff's production in the playoffs. But he treaded water under fire, and it was enough -- with some luck -- until the very end. Before we declare someone else an improvement or a superior player, let's see them not drown in the first couple miles of that particular marathon. We've seen more casualties than survivors in recent memory.

Despite the offseason circus, Cliff was a special blend. We were lucky to have him for a very fun run.

I know Sam Herder with hero sports would track the top players in certain position groups whenever he would do quarterbacks big Cliff was right around that 10 or 11 mark. I think Sam used a whole bunch of different statistics.

Absolutely not. I think he was the perfect fit at the right time in the perfect scenario. If he was a top 25 FCS QB, then where were the transfer offers commensurate with that?

Absolutely not. I think he was the perfect fit at the right time in the perfect scenario. If he was a top 25 FCS QB, then where were the transfer offers commensurate with that?
Well, he did originally commit to an fbs program after leaving UM, so I guess I'm struggling to see your argument against him being a top fcs QB

I would have taken a healthy Johnson, Humphrey and Sneed over McDowell for the champ game and playoffs. Season too. McDowell was more durable than the others, tho. So, there’s something for that.

Back