• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM vs. Penn State Nov 15th

AZDoc said:
They still go through scoring droughts though. Kills them
Yep. Just looked at the box score. Griz shot 40.7% on twos, 30% on treys, and 46.7% from the foul line. PSU was 50%, 50% and 58.3%. Nine steals and 2 ahead on rebounds (10-4 on the offensive boards) are what kept the Griz in the game for awhile.

12-2 psu run in the last five mins. Ouch.

Great showing, but too similar to P5 games in prior years. It was there for the taking.

Still, it’s clear this team belongs with anyone, and most importantly, it’s clear they believe that.

Didn't get to see the game. From the recap, it sounds like we were never out of it. TDC and Co. don't appear to be suckers for moral victories, and I'm sure the guys are pissed enough for all of us regarding the foul shooting and final run. I think this team has a great mentality going forward.

Didnt get to watch but sounds like we have the athletes we just need to smooth out some wrinkles, apparently shooting for sure. Still early but I think this team is making the stride we hoped for and is another level above last year. They will continue to improve and the BSC will be tough this year making us more ready for the NCAA after we win the conference tourney :eek:

CDAGRIZ said:
Didn't get to see the game. From the recap, it sounds like we were never out of it. TDC and Co. don't appear to be suckers for moral victories, and I'm sure the guys are pissed enough for all of us regarding the foul shooting and final run. I think this team has a great mentality going forward.
RIGHT ON! :thumb:

Looking at shooting percentages in this loss can explain a couple of things:
1. It's tough to win by shooting 7-for-15 (47%) from the free throw line. Tonight that was a minimum of 8 lost points (Penn State shot only 58% but made 7 more free throws than the Griz).
2. A ratio of 28% from three-point range is even more problematic. Montana made 6-for-21. I think this spelled the difference in the game because several shots were rimmers. Close doesn't count, of course.
3. However, nine of Montana's other missed field goals were blocks in the key. That explains the 39%. The traffic was heavy in the paint.

More important to me tonight is that the Griz were IN this game with under 3 minutes remaining. I guess the test for this team is whether they'll be able to make tough shots down the stretch in future games... or, like they did Monday, because otherwise they played toe to toe with Penn State on the floor and in every other statistical category.

...getting homered by penn...
...makes the pitt win even sweeter...
...tough on the road..especially that far...

... :shock: ...

PeauxRouge said:
Does a Nittany Lion sounds like a cougar? Because that's what PSUs growl sounds like. Weird.
A Nittany Lion is a cougar/mountain lion (now extinct in PA) from Mount Nittany (a nearby mountain range that you can see from the football stadium). They have a taxidermied "Nittany Lion" (the last one?) in the lobby of the campus library.

Anyway - Penn State basketball fan here (as you may have seen on TV, there are not that many of us). I have some family throughout Montana, including Missoula, so I always pull for the Grizz when I can.

This Montana team, the little bit I have seen, appears to be a good mid-major who is going to make some noise in the Big Sky this year. I like the confidence that your team plays with on the road, across the country, against high-major programs (Pitt and Penn State). I am definitely going to try to watch some more of your games this season.

This Penn State squad has a shot at the Big Dance this year. The sophomore class is the heart of the team - it was a top 25 recruiting class and features the top two recruits from PA (4* Tony Carr and Lamar Stevens), as well as an additional 4* big (Mike Watkins) who is a RS soph. Carr is a 6'5 204 lb pg who has NBA potential, Watkins is also a rim protector with NBA potential. Carr, Stevens, and Bostick where all teammates in HS, from the same high school as fellow teammate Shep Garner, as well (Shep was the guard who made those threes at the end -- all 4 of the players that I have mentioned are from Philly). Other than Watkins, our bigs are nothing to write home about and we would be hurting without Watkins.

Josh Reaves (#23) is a jr from Oak Hill Academy in VA (the same school as Melo Anthony, and so many other stars) and has a never-ending motor. He had a huge day against FDU. We can go 7-8 1/2 deep, but past that it's a pretty large drop-off in talent.

I just thought that I would offer a little scouting report, allbeit after the fact, to give you a better idea of who you just faced. PSU is a better team than Pitt this year and you gave us a heck of a fight. I was worried when you made it 51-50 late in this one.

Good luck with the rest of the season, and I hope that I get to watch the Griz play in the Big Dance this March!

I really like their mental toughness, they would get down 7-10 points and then would make a run and get it close again, quite a few times. Would be easy to fold in that position.

Thanks state! This Montana team has shown me a lot on this road trip. They were not outmatched and competed hard in both games. Make some FT and who know how this game turns. Montana still has Stanford, UCLA, and Washington on the OOC schedule so we will see how they mature and handle more Power 5 teams! Good luck to your team and see you in March!

State4Life said:
PeauxRouge said:
Does a Nittany Lion sounds like a cougar? Because that's what PSUs growl sounds like. Weird.
A Nittany Lion is a cougar/mountain lion (now extinct in PA) from Mount Nittany (a nearby mountain range that you can see from the football stadium). They have a taxidermied "Nittany Lion" (the last one?) in the lobby of the campus library.

Anyway - Penn State basketball fan here (as you may have seen on TV, there are not that many of us). I have some family throughout Montana, including Missoula, so I always pull for the Grizz when I can.

This Montana team, the little bit I have seen, appears to be a good mid-major who is going to make some noise in the Big Sky this year. I like the confidence that your team plays with on the road, across the country, against high-major programs (Pitt and Penn State). I am definitely going to try to watch some more of your games this season.

This Penn State squad has a shot at the Big Dance this year. The sophomore class is the heart of the team - it was a top 25 recruiting class and features the top two recruits from PA (4* Tony Carr and Lamar Stevens), as well as an additional 4* big (Mike Watkins) who is a RS soph. Carr is a 6'5 204 lb pg who has NBA potential, Watkins is also a rim protector with NBA potential. Carr, Stevens, and Bostick where all teammates in HS, from the same high school as fellow teammate Shep Garner, as well (Shep was the guard who made those threes at the end -- all 4 of the players that I have mentioned are from Philly). Other than Watkins, our bigs are nothing to write home about and we would be hurting without Watkins.

Josh Reaves (#23) is a jr from Oak Hill Academy in VA (the same school as Melo Anthony, and so many other stars) and has a never-ending motor. He had a huge day against FDU. We can go 7-8 1/2 deep, but past that it's a pretty large drop-off in talent.

I just thought that I would offer a little scouting report, allbeit after the fact, to give you a better idea of who you just faced. PSU is a better team than Pitt this year and you gave us a heck of a fight. I was worried when you made it 51-50 late in this one.

Good luck with the rest of the season, and I hope that I get to watch the Griz play in the Big Dance this March!

Appreciate the insight. Watching them play, I thought they looked solid, but lacked depth. Hoped the Griz could grind out a win, but think they ran out of gas and the shots didn't fall. Definitely better than Pitt, by a large margin. I expect a 15-20 point blow out when you play the panthers. Sad that the final score was 13...was a much, much better game than that.

State4Life said:
PeauxRouge said:

Appreciate the input State!

Back