• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Trumaine Johnson Article

reinell30 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
poorgriz said:
I think TJ is the best griz football player of all time.
I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Tru is the highest paid Griz player of all time. Best Griz player ever?....No!
And who would you nominate? I think he is undoubtedly the most successful.

'68griz said:
reinell30 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
poorgriz said:
I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Tru is the highest paid Griz player of all time. Best Griz player ever?....No!
And who would you nominate? I think he is undoubtedly the most successful.

Only two players are in the conversation with Johnson at this point...
(Both are in the College Football Hall of Fame)

Dave Dickenson (UM, Coaching & CFL)
&
"Wild" Bill Kelly (UM, NFL- NY Yankees and All-around athlete)

Wild Bill Kelly

It didn't take long for him to make his mark at the college level—as a sophomore, he ran 9 times for scores of longer than 40 yards. He played quarterback, but he was most noted for his skills as an open-field runner. He also performed as a kick returner and during his final two seasons he ran back 5 kickoffs, including 2 of more than 90 yards. Although his skills were legendary, he was not surrounded with enough talent at Montana to deliver a winning season during his college career. However, he provided the fans with more than their share of excitement.

Kelly never lost to rival Montana State University, leading the team to huge wins in 1925 and 1926. He scored a total of 7 touchdowns in the two games to go along with 4 interceptions. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Paytonlives said:
Wild Bill Kelly

It didn't take long for him to make his mark at the college level—as a sophomore, he ran 9 times for scores of longer than 40 yards. He played quarterback, but he was most noted for his skills as an open-field runner. He also performed as a kick returner and during his final two seasons he ran back 5 kickoffs, including 2 of more than 90 yards. Although his skills were legendary, he was not surrounded with enough talent at Montana to deliver a winning season during his college career. However, he provided the fans with more than their share of excitement.

Kelly never lost to rival Montana State University, leading the team to huge wins in 1925 and 1926. He scored a total of 7 touchdowns in the two games to go along with 4 interceptions. :shock: :shock: :shock:

You lost me at 1925. Trumaine Johnson would have played QB and scored 20 touchdowns against the bobcats in those 2 games.

Trumaine Johnson was/is the most talented, most dominant, and best player we've ever had.

Others like Dave certainly have more importance to the program and a greater Griz legacy.

Tru Was/is a great player! He is One of the most successful Griz players in terms of money in the NFL. OK, the most! But I believe many other players thru all the years were great Griz players, they just weren't right for the NFL at the time of their dominance. Lex Hilliard was awesome but injury stopped his career. Justin Green, Yohancie Humphries, Marc Mariani, Andrew Selle, Zach Wagaman, I mean I can list a lot of fantastic Griz players who's fortune just didn't come in. Is success determined by how much money one makes? I don't think so.

poorgriz said:

Trumaine was not the best Griz of all time during his college tenure, but he likely is the most successful professional player at the NFL level. That said, he was an excellent corner during his time in Missoula.

Dave Dickenson will always be the best Griz player of all time to me. His induction into the College Football Hall of Fame seals it along with a national championship, being a Walter Payton Award winner, and his numerous passing records. Not to mention he was an incredible student and an extremely likeable guy! He went on to have major success in the CFL winning multiple MVP's and championships and now he is a successful coach. By NFL standards, he wasn't given the chance to show what he could do. But as far as being the best Griz player of all time standards, I can't think of another that can begin to touch him.

Back