• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Troxel Back to ISU

BWahlberg said:
As an OC in Poky too Trox is probably a few years away from getting an FCS or D2 head coaching job. Not so much as an inside WRs coach here at the UM (I would guess)

Serious question. How many ISU coaches in recent memory have moved up? I really don't know the answer, I just suspect not many. You may be right BTW, but if this program is where it should be you would be way wrong.

grizd said:
BWahlberg said:
As an OC in Poky too Trox is probably a few years away from getting an FCS or D2 head coaching job. Not so much as an inside WRs coach here at the UM (I would guess)

Serious question. How many ISU coaches in recent memory have moved up? I really don't know the answer, I just suspect not many. You may be right BTW, but if this program is where it should be you would be way wrong.

Oh I'd say the easy answer has to be not many, when you look at ISU.

I'd just think in VERY general terms an FCS OC would possibly hold advantage over an FCS position coach when a D2 or FCS school is considering a head coach.

Best of luck Trox, until you line up against UM again. Who knows, perhaps you'll be back around here someday.

griz5700 said:
grizindabox said:
HookedonGriz said:
He left ISU when it was a shit show. Grabbed on to something solid with UM while he could. Now that ISU it getting pieced back together, a job as OC there is very enticing. It will double his salary or maybe even more. Timing sucks. No loyalty sucks. His knowledge of our offense sucks. But money talks.

....maybe....just maybe....he realized....there is a....shit show.....in zoo town.....

I'm thinking so as well.

Wasn't he the OC at ISU when he accepted the WR position with UM?

Ya those on here who have just bashed Stitt at every turn could easily make that the excuse could they.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Troxel leaving Montana, returning to Idaho State
http://skylinesportsmt.com/troxel-back-to-isu/
Nothing about JLM making ESPN, nothing about the champions center, nothing about Le Texier's ACL tear, not even a word about the SPRING GAME in Butte.

2 hours after we lose a coach and there's an article up.

Wow. Just.....wow. Any Griz fan paying for Skyline Sports has gotta be scratching their heads on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Nothing about JLM making ESPN, nothing about the champions center, nothing about Le Texier's ACL tear, not even a word about the SPRING GAME in Butte.

Wow. Just.....wow. Any Griz fan paying for Skyline Sports has gotta be scratching their heads on this one.

Sample is on hiatus as he straightens out some things in his personal and professional life. He did a few Griz hoops recruiting stories because that is the beat he is most entrenched in so it doesn't take him much time to compile stories.

The Troxel story we posted is essentially a rewritten press release from ISU with a bit of new information about Troxel's salary — he'll get a $25,000 annual pay raise bump — and is news, which is why I posted it.

I can't be in two places at once. We did not have any spring ball coverage of Montana football as Sample tries to determine what is best for his future. I have some fun/interesting Griz coverage planned for the next three months regardless of if Sample comes back on full time with us or not so stay tuned.

Apologies for not having quality spring ball coverage. If things go according to plan, that will not happen again.

dayday said:
Bad timing as Spring recruiting is happening. No doubt a understated loss. Unfortunate as now Trox has a knowledge of our offense and signals. It'd be interested to see who we get to come in. Love to see another former Griz get a shot at this position like a Mariani if he wants to coach or Sentinel head coach Dane Oliver would be interesting as well.

Too bad about Troxel leaving with what he learned about the offense, the offensive philosophy, the personnel, the signals, etc.

dayday said:
Bad timing as Spring recruiting is happening. No doubt a understated loss. Unfortunate as now Trox has a knowledge of our offense and signals. It'd be interested to see who we get to come in. Love to see another former Griz get a shot at this position like a Mariani if he wants to coach or Sentinel head coach Dane Oliver would be interesting as well.

Inside knowledge of our offense is no advantage.

spsyk said:
dayday said:

Inside knowledge of our offense is no advantage.

My guess is you don't have to be "inside" to get advantageous knowledge.

Colter's article said he is making 25K more than his previous time at ISU. Looks like that must be around 100K. After incentives that's got to be close to doubling his salary at Missoula. Sucks but no brainer

#bestinspace

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
brewskis said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Sample is on hiatus as he straightens out some things in his personal and professional life. He did a few Griz hoops recruiting stories because that is the beat he is most entrenched in so it doesn't take him much time to compile stories.

The Troxel story we posted is essentially a rewritten press release from ISU with a bit of new information about Troxel's salary — he'll get a $25,000 annual pay raise bump — and is news, which is why I posted it.

I can't be in two places at once. We did not have any spring ball coverage of Montana football as Sample tries to determine what is best for his future. I have some fun/interesting Griz coverage planned for the next three months regardless of if Sample comes back on full time with us or not so stay tuned.

Apologies for not having quality spring ball coverage. If things go according to plan, that will not happen again.
So you are willing to use a press release as a basis for an article in this case. Well I believe that gogriz.com issued multiple press releases over the course of the spring, providing quotes, statistics, and analysis. Why is it that when we lose a coach to a conference foe that suddenly it's time to bust out some fresh news on griz football? If losing Kyle means that all Griz Sports coverage will cease, then wouldn't you issue some sort of article explaining the situation to your subscribers?

Then we've got the twitter page. ALL bobcat content with minor dustings of other big sky teams. Not even a recordable number of retweets about Griz sports. Griz football goes through spring practices with a STRONG PRESENCE on twitter aaaand not even a retweet. THAT is a pro-bobcat marketing campaign.

End of the day, I don't care. My 6 month subscription ended relatively recently and there is just no reason to resubscribe if the only thing that can prompt any sort of recognition is losing a coach (one that the fanbase LOVED).

I do appreciate the challenge that you took on. It's not easy to simultaneously appeal to Griz and cat fans. But your success with the bobcat fans (and failure with griz fans) is not a coincidence.......

brewskis said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:
brewskis said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

So you are willing to use a press release as a basis for an article in this case. Well I believe that gogriz.com issued multiple press releases over the course of the spring, providing quotes, statistics, and analysis. Why is it that when we lose a coach to a conference foe that suddenly it's time to bust out some fresh news on griz football? If losing Kyle means that all Griz Sports coverage will cease, then wouldn't you issue some sort of article explaining the situation to your subscribers?

Then we've got the twitter page. ALL bobcat content with minor dustings of other big sky teams. Not even a recordable number of retweets about Griz sports. Griz football goes through spring practices with a STRONG PRESENCE on twitter aaaand not even a retweet. THAT is a pro-bobcat marketing campaign.

End of the day, I don't care. My 6 month subscription ended relatively recently and there is just no reason to resubscribe if the only thing that can prompt any sort of recognition is losing a coach (one that the fanbase LOVED).

I do appreciate the challenge that you took on. It's not easy to simultaneously appeal to Griz and cat fans. But your success with the bobcat fans (and failure with griz fans) is not a coincidence.......

Thank you for your feedback. The key to what we do is original content. This story is original content because of Sample's previous reporting plus the little bit I did to get some numbers and logistics. The only thing from the press release is the quotes. It does not seem advantageous to us to post press releases that also appear on gogriz.com because that is not original content. I can't write about things I don't see.

Like I've said in multiple posts over the last six weeks or so, even if we lose Kyle, we still have a plan to provide Griz coverage starting in the fall. The non-existent spring football coverage is not a problem we will encounter in the future if things go according to plan. I understand your frustrations and apologies for those.

Thank you for subscribing. I hope once we get things ironed out and the real football season is upon us, you return as a subscriber to read Sample's great coverage.

I think a lot of what you've all said about Troxel and Kramer is spot on. I think that Kramer was tough on his coaches and had high expectations from them, and I've heard that there were times he interfered with the playcalling. I thought it was strange as well, that Matt would leave as ISU OC to take a wide receiver job at Montana. In any event, the good thing is that ISU returns most of their coaches from last season so that there's continuity. The bad is that Phenicie's never been a head coach before, and past performance is an excellent indicator of future success. I wish ISU could have some semblance of success like Montana's had in the past.

Selling Skyline Sports to Griz fans is like selling CNN to a lifelong watcher of Fox News.

Back