• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Travis on Thursday radio show

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
citay said:
At the same time, I wish he'd been asked some questions about the rest of the "family"--the players, the recruits, and the obvious issues that have come up on this board by us, the fans, another part of the "family." Such as:

--What is his impression of Philip Malatare? No topic has generated more interest on this board in a long time. Here's a kid who's now a Montana legend, wants to be a Griz, is on the cover of the New York Times, so why not a question about him?

--How about the schedule? Okay, we play Creighton and Arizona, but DeCuire also mentioned three "mid-level" teams that will be on the schedule. Who are they?

--He mentioned Ken Pom, and how in addition to our defensive prowess we were also up there in offensive efficiency. Really? We might have been a twelve seed or even a ten had we not hit those incredible dry spells against Stanford, Santa Barbara and Georgia State--not to mention the ten-minute scoring drought against Michigan. This team was athletic and played great defense, but the lack of a shooter who could break a scoring drought became obvious as the season wore on. This would have been one of my first questions.

--Next year we'll have have a fabulous Power Five guard line, maybe the best guard play in the history of the University of Montana. Yet we'll be thin and inexperienced on the front line, especially with the departure of Nicholas. So what's the remedy here? Are they looking for jaycee transfer to bolster that front line? What are their plans for Anderson? What does he expect from Kramer?

--
1. On Malatare - per the NCAA, Coaches cannot comment on any recruit (same goes for football as well) until they are officially signed. All they can do is "confirm they've been recruiting said player."

2. Schedule - unfortunately - that is all you're going to get most likely. Quite a few schools respect the privacy - especially since things tend to be fluid until an agreement is signed - and even then...things can change. Keeping things close to the vest - which is what Travis does - strengthens those relationships and makes it easier to schedule with said teams in the future

3. He knows about the shooting - he was mostly talking the Ken Pom stuff in the bigger scope about how teams are selected. The tough thing about TDC's Griz getting "shooters" is that they are expected to play lock-down D first, foremost and always. Tough to get pure shooters that are able to handle the Griz demands on D. Moorehead is a perfect example - more of a gunner / shooter but then he figured out he needed to get better at D and rebounding if he was gonna see playing time.

4. Recruits - again he can't give too much away (per the NCAA rule on commenting on recruits). He mentioned something about having some recruiting going on - which means it is definitely on his radar. He may not say it, but when there is a problem - he is aware of it and takes steps to fix it. Even if we aren't privy to the knowledge on the way. Some coaches are more open about these things. From all the interviews I've heard from TDC, he always plays things close to the vest and giving a 10,000ft view/scope (recruiting, things happening within the team, scheduling, playing in early season tourneys, etc) - for better or for worse.

Those are just my thoughts.

Fair enough. But still, I think those questions have to be asked. If we've scheduled three "mid-level" teams, why can't we know who they are? If you can't talk bout recruits, so be it. But as to Anderson, does he expect to redshirt him? Since Kramer is already in the program; what can we expect? How heavily are they relying on him? And just generally, are the recruits transfers? Jaycee kids? High school kids? And since the scoring droughts were such an issue this year, why can't we hear explanations directly from the coach himself, rather than as re-interpreted by a fan on this board?

Coaches and players have become ever-sophisticated about talking without saying anything. Cliches, coach-speak, blah, blah, blah. They've become like offensive linemen, blocking you from getting any real information. So journalists have to be like defensive linemen, charging, pursuing, going for that information. You can't tread a coach like a God, but an obstacle to information. That's your job as a journalist. A real journalist that is.

citay said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
citay said:
At the same time, I wish he'd been asked some questions about the rest of the "family"--the players, the recruits, and the obvious issues that have come up on this board by us, the fans, another part of the "family." Such as:

--What is his impression of Philip Malatare? No topic has generated more interest on this board in a long time. Here's a kid who's now a Montana legend, wants to be a Griz, is on the cover of the New York Times, so why not a question about him?

--How about the schedule? Okay, we play Creighton and Arizona, but DeCuire also mentioned three "mid-level" teams that will be on the schedule. Who are they?

--He mentioned Ken Pom, and how in addition to our defensive prowess we were also up there in offensive efficiency. Really? We might have been a twelve seed or even a ten had we not hit those incredible dry spells against Stanford, Santa Barbara and Georgia State--not to mention the ten-minute scoring drought against Michigan. This team was athletic and played great defense, but the lack of a shooter who could break a scoring drought became obvious as the season wore on. This would have been one of my first questions.

--Next year we'll have have a fabulous Power Five guard line, maybe the best guard play in the history of the University of Montana. Yet we'll be thin and inexperienced on the front line, especially with the departure of Nicholas. So what's the remedy here? Are they looking for jaycee transfer to bolster that front line? What are their plans for Anderson? What does he expect from Kramer?

--
1. On Malatare - per the NCAA, Coaches cannot comment on any recruit (same goes for football as well) until they are officially signed. All they can do is "confirm they've been recruiting said player."

2. Schedule - unfortunately - that is all you're going to get most likely. Quite a few schools respect the privacy - especially since things tend to be fluid until an agreement is signed - and even then...things can change. Keeping things close to the vest - which is what Travis does - strengthens those relationships and makes it easier to schedule with said teams in the future

3. He knows about the shooting - he was mostly talking the Ken Pom stuff in the bigger scope about how teams are selected. The tough thing about TDC's Griz getting "shooters" is that they are expected to play lock-down D first, foremost and always. Tough to get pure shooters that are able to handle the Griz demands on D. Moorehead is a perfect example - more of a gunner / shooter but then he figured out he needed to get better at D and rebounding if he was gonna see playing time.

4. Recruits - again he can't give too much away (per the NCAA rule on commenting on recruits). He mentioned something about having some recruiting going on - which means it is definitely on his radar. He may not say it, but when there is a problem - he is aware of it and takes steps to fix it. Even if we aren't privy to the knowledge on the way. Some coaches are more open about these things. From all the interviews I've heard from TDC, he always plays things close to the vest and giving a 10,000ft view/scope (recruiting, things happening within the team, scheduling, playing in early season tourneys, etc) - for better or for worse.

Fair enough. But still, I think those questions have to be asked. If we've scheduled three "mid-level" teams, why can't we know who they are? If you can't talk bout recruits, so be it. But as to Anderson, does he expect to redshirt him? Since Kramer is already in the program; what can we expect? How heavily are they relying on him? And just generally, are the recruits transfers? Jaycee kids? High school kids? And since the scoring droughts were such an issue this year, why can't we hear explanations directly from the coach himself, rather than as re-interpreted by a fan on this board?

Coaches and players have become ever-sophisticated about talking without saying anything. Cliches, coach-speak, blah, blah, blah. They've become like offensive linemen, blocking you from getting any real information. So journalists have to be like defensive linemen, charging, pursuing, going for that information. You can't tread a coach like a God, but an obstacle to information. That's your job as a journalist. A real journalist that is.

Well - for the teams - I did explain "why" and I'm pretty sure it has been asked of him before - I don't think I'm making a wild-assed guess on that, but I could be wrong. Also - I'm pretty sure Travis has an email and if you sent him one and straight up asked, I'm sure he'd take the time to get back to you.

citay said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
citay said:

--

Lots of questions to answer before next year. Personally, I can wait to find out how Kramer does next fall, whether Anderson redshirts or not next fall, who the recruits are when they sign and who is on the schedule when they finalize it.

The world today seems to require too much speculation on things that aren't that important long before necessary. Cool off citay.....your world won't be that much different if you find out we're playing Pepperdine or San Francisco in July rather than April.

Mattdragon said:
wait Michael isn't coming back...? (also Rorie will still be there if he doesn't get drafted or signed)

"IF he (Rorie) doesn't get drafted?" You actually said that. LOL

Back