• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Camp wrap up

I greatly appreciate BW's wrap up on the spring camp/scrimmage. I have 3 things I am considering:

1. I think that even though travel is a bitch WGS is a superior place to hold the spring scrimmage. Scoreboard, music, attitude all are favorable in Missoula and the the weather sure didn't hurt either. I have to travel from Helena and understand that traveling from Miles City or Sidney is probably not realistic. But traveling to Butte or Great Falls isn't that much easier. What if it were held in Bozeman :lol:

2. A lot has been made of the QB battle and I recognize the natural gravitation to who had the best completion percentage or who appeared to have the best grasp of the offensive scheme. However playing with a black (no touch) jersey and an apparent lack of any defensive blitz packages may not be the best indication of who is most qualified. I love a QB that can run but I absolutely hate a running/throwing QB. Bad things happen at the worst time in games, including fumbles and interceptions, poor accuracy including swing passes are all a detriment with a run first QB. We didn't really see an aggressive defense however in the real season teams will be out to cause damage to a running QB . Northern Iowa, and all teams, will come in ready to put the starting QB on the sidelines. I think Hauck will figure this out.

3. I think it will be interesting to see the progress over the summer and fall camp. This is not, in my opinion a FCS championship team and may not be a BCS championship team. But it will be a competitive team that is better at the end of the season than it starts out. I hope for playoffs and it could happen but there will be boulders in the road.

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
We get more for our spring game than any other school but MSU averages during the regular season. WAFJ this conference has become.

Or just 2 schools.

Average attendance per game:

CPSLO: 7,520
EWU: 10,123
ISU: 6,297
UM: 23,155
MSU: 18,617
UND: 10,428
NAU: 6,571
UNC: 4,383
PSU: 4,136
Sac: 8,315
SUU: 9,538
UCD: 8,294
WSU: 8,977

Brint: How does 6,128 compare to the past several seasons? Or is it really not comparable because the spring game hasn’t been in Missoula for a while?

A lot better than there were for the fall scrimmage from last year around August 2017, that: http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76845 ...a typical sized crowd for a scrimmage there, 500-600...

WyomingGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
We get more for our spring game than any other school but MSU averages during the regular season. WAFJ this conference has become.

Or just 2 schools.

Brint: How does 6,128 compare to the past several seasons? Or is it really not comparable because the spring game hasn’t been in Missoula for a while?

A lot better than there were for the fall scrimmage from last year around August 2017, that: http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76845 ...a typical sized crowd for a scrimmage there, 500-600...
We had right at 6000 for the spring game in Billings in 2011.

kemajic said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
Or just 2 schools.

We had right at 6000 for the spring game in Billings in 2011.

That’s good. :thumb:

To those who got to see spring practice and/or the scrimmage, do you feel the offense will be an upgrade from previous Hauck coached teams? I sure am hoping so, especially for this season. I am thinking the GRIZ will need to rely on offense more this season, than Hauck would like. The lack of CB experience and depth really has me concerned for the defense. Speaking of CB's, how did Nash and Cowans do this spring?

mtgrizrule said:
To those who got to see spring practice and/or the scrimmage, do you feel the offense will be an upgrade from previous Hauck coached teams? I sure am hoping so, especially for this season. I am thinking the GRIZ will need to rely on offense more this season, than Hauck would like. The lack of CB experience and depth really has me concerned for the defense. Speaking of CB's, how did Nash and Cowans do this spring?

My impression, and it is only impression, is that the offense will be good to very good, dependent on how far and fast the o-line can progress. My instinct says the o-line will progress fine. UM has a number of young corners with good potential, including the 2 mentioned. Also, several more. They will have to progress too. It would be nice to have a good veteran corner, which, of course, we don't. But it's not that there is no talent in the corner pool. All or most of those guys are tall and athletic too. Nash was getting most of the playing time in his position as the season went on, due in part to injury. The new transfer safety looks talented. I think his dad knows, or grew up near, Travis DeCuire.

Name-dropping alert. I had a short conversation with Robertson and JLM over Robertson's big hit on JLM on the slant. JLM said he knew he was going to get clobbered. Robertson said he couldn't believe JLM hung onto the ball. Don't think that tackle and hit could have been any better. Robertson and his (large) family seem like a great addition to Griz football. Nice people.

PlayerRep said:
mtgrizrule said:

My impression, and it is only impression, is that the offense will be good to very good, dependent on how far and fast the o-line can progress. My instinct says the o-line will progress fine. UM has a number of young corners with good potential, including the 2 mentioned. Also, several more. They will have to progress too. It would be nice to have a good veteran corner, which, of course, we don't. But it's not that there is no talent in the corner pool. All or most of those guys are tall and athletic too. Nash was getting most of the playing time in his position as the season went on, due in part to injury. The new transfer safety looks talented. I think his dad knows, or grew up near, Travis DeCuire.

Name-dropping alert. I had a short conversation with Robertson and JLM over Robertson's big hit on JLM on the slant. JLM said he knew he was going to get clobbered. Robertson said he couldn't believe JLM hung onto the ball. Don't think that tackle and hit could have been any better. Robertson and his (large) family seem like a great addition to Griz football. Nice people.

I agree PR. I think the offense will be just fine no matter who the QB is. We have too much talent there, and while the OLine is young, they have the benefit of having the same coach who basically recruited all of them.

mtgrizrule said:

IMHO what I saw was a Rosy offense, much more open than the old Bobby days. I saw receivers make the catches that they didn't last year and RB's run well.

I also think that prayers would help for the secondary. :pray:

fanofzoo said:
mtgrizrule said:

IMHO what I saw was a Rosy offense, much more open than the old Bobby days. I saw receivers make the catches that they didn't last year and RB's run well.

I also think that prayers would help for the secondary. :pray:

My prediction for this year is...we will see more turnovers by the secondary. First more INTs and second more fumbles due to big hits. Doubt we will see the big bombs with secondary trailing. Should see more coverage over the top and with the secondary facing the QB at the snap they should have a better view of plays developing. Players will be in better position for success.

I was at the scrimmage and sat on the front row on the 50 yard line (east side). GJ doesn't think he is beat out. He is just laid back, that his game and his way. Sneed is loud because he is the one who has something to prove (and that may be his usual way). I wouldn't let the sideline issue be the focus. It should be the play on the field that speaks. One will stand out in the fall.

Oh and Cowans and Nash played well Saturday. They are young. This is the biggest concern as #5 is in the middle of the learning curve.

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

Or just 2 schools.

gotta wonder though, if Montana had FBS schools and / or NFL, would our numbers be this high ? Probably not.....

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

Or just 2 schools.

The spring game has been in Missoula every other year for the last 6 years actually. I believe this game yesterday eclipsed a prior record of about 6000.

In Wa Griz:

2016: dumping rain the whole time, probably about 1500-2000 there
2014: freezing cold, I remember they wanted to break 2012's record and probably had just 500 there
2012: Unveiled the new lights and was in the early evening, 6000 there.

Outside of WaGriz:

2017: Butte in Naranche, beautiful day, I'd say about 3500 there.
2015: Helena, dual scrimmage with Carroll, maybe 1500 there.
2013: Butte, cold/wintery day on the Tech campus, about 1500 in attendance.

It's been too long but the last time the Griz played spring game in Billings we had well over 5,000.

In response to Diesels comment on our D. I really hope we do face the QB at the snap in the secondary. I have never been a fan of just watching the receiver the whole time. Actually drives me nuts especially when the receiver runs off the corner and a guy like Murray runs for 33 yards on 4th down. God it will be sweet to watch players use their perifial vision and watch a play develop. I sure hope your right Diesel!

Has there ever been a spring game held in Great Falls? Lots of good high school football players there and an opportunity to put our program on display in front of the locals. I think the Cats may have held a spring game there in the past.

4theluvofgriz said:
Has there ever been a spring game held in Great Falls? Lots of good high school football players there and an opportunity to put our program on display in front of the locals. I think the Cats may have held a spring game there in the past.

For the love of Griz...can we get the fine ppl of Great Falls a spring game already?

Back