• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Camp wrap up & scrimmage thoughts

SaskGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
bgbigdog said:
I don't think you'll get a fair evaluation of what you'll see in 2017 until they play UW.

This game will show nothing as it will be a slaughter. I believe there is a chance UW has more sacks than Montana has 1st downs.
I will throw $100 US on this. Got some cash? If you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man.

If I knew that UW would play there #1 defense the whole way, but since they will have a chance to play everyone, the Griz are bound to get garbage in the second half. But this game will not be close and I struggle to see the Griz offense do much at all.

- The D-line, despite not even having Davidson and Shaw, is damn good. People are quick to bash the OL for today but some can't seem to wrap their head around the possibility that this D-line is pretty deep on the inside even without two main contributors and has 1 great edge pass rusher in Schye and two good/upcoming comes in Favoroso and Rodriguez.

Agreed that the D-Line is a beast. That does not excuse how off the OL was. The Griz will very likely see some though Defense this year in several games. I do not believe the D-Line is so great that there was nothing that the offense could do. I saw poor footwork, lots of bad angles, and they were just slow off the line. Even against Big Sky defenses this O-Line will struggle. MSU, and EWU, Olines looked considerably stronger.

HelenaHandBasket said:
SaskGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
bgbigdog said:
I don't think you'll get a fair evaluation of what you'll see in 2017 until they play UW.

This game will show nothing as it will be a slaughter. I believe there is a chance UW has more sacks than Montana has 1st downs.
I will throw $100 US on this. Got some cash? If you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man.

If I knew that UW would play there #1 defense the whole way, but since they will have a chance to play everyone, the Griz are bound to get garbage in the second half. But this game will not be close and I struggle to see the Griz offense do much at all.
So they won't have more sacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PhxGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
SaskGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

So they won't have more sacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still think it could be close.

I am glad, I got to attend the final scrimmage. Without fail, some egrizzers go into panic mode when there is some offensive struggles. Give it time folks. Usually the offense is well behind the defense in spring ball, and most of fall ball.

It really will be tough to truly measure this team until the EWU game. Like many here, I was disappointed in Phillip's performance. Also disappointed in the running game. The offensive line did play inconsistent. However, a few of the sacks were direct results from terrific coverage, when the QB did have enough time.

Speaking of coverage, I am very excited how well the 1st string db's played. McKinnley, Sanders, Sandry, and Strong appear to be as good as any secondary in recent memory during the spring ball stage. Nash and Egbo look the role physically. It will be amazing to watch those 2 develop. Jace Lewis and Mua were 2 under the radar players who really stood out to me.

Offensively, it is nice to see the physical size we have in the young WR's. Akem, Nagler, and Corbin are very physically imposing. Those boys are huge and very athletic.

As for QB play, Phillips played really bad. He appeared rattled under pressure. I was very impressed with Hill's composure and decision making. Jensen is very calm for a FR RS, and I am very encouraged by his upside. Based on how spring ball played out, Stitt officially has a 3 way QB controversy, in my opinion. Hill has been the most consistent and improved the most, from what I have been told. If I had to make the decision right now, I would choose Hill though. However, I do not know all the factors behind the scenes. I also feel that Hill showed the most leadership by on the field and sideline interactions. That kid has a lot of fire in him. Jensen is definitely the future. The question is, when does he take the reigns? Phillips, for the most part has been very good this fall. His struggles were at the worse time though.

I have no idea what Stitt will do for QB snaps come this fall. I honestly feel, the 1st week should be spent dividing and rotating all 3 in with the 1st team. Definitely will be the competition to take notice of this fall. The highlight of the day for me, Simms with an interception. He caught that ball with ease and looked comfortable running with it too. That boy is so athletic.

It was great seeing some of you there as well. #canfootballseasongetherenow!!!!

Best for the team in this offense, to pick a horse and ride it. It's all on the QB as Stitt likes to say, so taking a lot of reps is the only way you're going to get consistent play, running game & o-line concerns aside. If they're still wondering which horse by the opening Saturday, it's a coaching failure.

While Phillips threw 3 picks in the first 1.5 quarters, and a toss up in the end zone on the last play of the game (not a big deal), I didn't think he was rattled under pressure. I thought he threw fairly well, except for throwing into coverage 3 times (which is horrible). However, the first one was a throw over the middle on 3d down when Sims dropped back and got the pick, and the other two were out patterns (one a long one), where Sandry completely jumped the routes and made terrific plays and catches. Shouldn't have happened, but even Stitt in his post game interview mentioned that sometimes a defense after 14 practices against the offense is able to anticipate and jump routes. The throws weren't errant, just went into coverage (and, again, were bad plays) and turned out to be late throws (the 2 out patterns).

I still Phillips will be the guy. Throws a very nice ball, has a very strong arm, has touch, seems to run the team fairly well, and had seemed to be making good decisions this spring until Saturday. Hadn't had any picks in prior scrimmages and not many when I'd been watching in practice.

Jensen and Hill are in the mix too. Will be a good competition and should result in depth.

nzone said:
All I can say is the defense better be as good as advertised.
I'm feeling better about it. Sounds like Semore has implemented more looks. My biggest concern is scrambling QBs like Chris Murray getting flushed. Gotta stay with your assignment and keep him out of the open field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until I see a Stitt team with the capability to run the ball with even a small amount consistency, I'll have major concerns.

Latest posts

Back