• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Griz Pro day numbers

kyle_sample said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:
Unless they use weight divisions in football like wrestling, pound for pound mean crap if a guy at same position is bigger faster and stronger. And a 4.9 woukd have put him about last at combine....but I would not expect a guy who played football 30 years ago to understand the speed of today's game he still is living his highlights over and over in his basement on 8mm movies

At least, I played the game. You didn't. It shows.

Nguyen at 4.73 and you think he's slow. Pretty funny.

You probably don't know that he didn't lose a fumble in the last 3 years as a Griz either. Name any other starting back at UM, ever, who didn't lose a fumble in his last 3 years.

For a running back that is very slow

Don't agree for a college back of the type Nguyen was. Not fast, but not slow either and certainly not very slow. 4.73 was faster than 4 rb's at this year's combine. Justin Green is listed in NFL Scout at 4.84. Lex Hillard ran 4.68. Ellis Henderson 4.63. Jordan Canada 4.64. Chad Newell 4.80. Don't recall anyone saying Justin Green was very slow, nor did I think he was. Hooked had a thread saying that 4.59 was the average time for an NFL rb. That's the NFL, not college. Wide receiver and corner, both 4.55. Nguyen is .14 off the average NFL rb and he is "very slow"? Don't think so.

KoolMoeDee said:
You can't fairly compare hand-timed to combine(electronic) 40's.

Sure you can, especially when that's all that's available. Also, the NFL teams often use their own handheld times, must like they do are most pro days. Chris Johnson's best 40 hand held and best 40 electronic times in 2008 were both 4.24.

The_Real_Chief said:
What was Tuff Harris' 40 time anyone know?

Just under 4.5 is my recollection. I always wondered why it wouldn't have been a bit faster. Maybe I was just putting too much stock in his state record 100 times.

PlayerRep said:
kyle_sample said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:
Unless they use weight divisions in football like wrestling, pound for pound mean crap if a guy at same position is bigger faster and stronger. And a 4.9 woukd have put him about last at combine....but I would not expect a guy who played football 30 years ago to understand the speed of today's game he still is living his highlights over and over in his basement on 8mm movies

You probably don't know that he didn't lose a fumble in the last 3 years as a Griz either. Name any other starting back at UM, ever, who didn't lose a fumble in his last 3 years.

Don't agree for a college back of the type Nguyen was. Not fast, but not slow either and certainly not very slow. 4.73 was faster than 4 rb's at this year's combine. Justin Green is listed in NFL Scout at 4.84. Lex Hillard ran 4.68. Ellis Henderson 4.63. Jordan Canada 4.64. Chad Newell 4.80. Don't recall anyone saying Justin Green was very slow, nor did I think he was. Hooked had a thread saying that 4.59 was the average time for an NFL rb. That's the NFL, not college. Wide receiver and corner, both 4.55. Nguyen is .14 off the average NFL rb and he is "very slow"? Don't think so.

But Nguyen wasn't running 40s at pro day to remain in college, he was there to make it to the NFL, where just two of those players you listed ended up -- as power backs. These things were written about Hilliard in his NFL scouting report: "Can be caught from behind on long runs and needs to develop a second gear as he won't separate from defenders in the open field" ... "May lack top-end speed" ... "he has marginal home-run speed" ... "Best served running between tackles" ... Compensates for a lack of straight-line speed with balance and good change-of-direction agility" ... "because of a lack of blazing speed, he is better served as an inside runner" ... Lex's strength, work ethic and ability to understand blocking schemes were what allowed him to remain in the NFL and overcome his lack of speed.
I don't remember anybody, including Justin Green, describing him as fast either. Like literally nobody. That's why he played fullback in the NFL.
Also, here's a list of what RBs ran at the combine for reference to the 4.71: http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker#day=friday

Sanders and Kidder have slim NFL chances. Others no. Maybe CFL for John N., only because he is a keen pass catcher.

kyle_sample said:
PlayerRep said:
kyle_sample said:
PlayerRep said:

But Nguyen wasn't running 40s at pro day to remain in college, he was there to make it to the NFL, where just two of those players you listed ended up -- as power backs. These things were written about Hilliard in his NFL scouting report: "Can be caught from behind on long runs and needs to develop a second gear as he won't separate from defenders in the open field" ... "May lack top-end speed" ... "he has marginal home-run speed" ... "Best served running between tackles" ... Compensates for a lack of straight-line speed with balance and good change-of-direction agility" ... "because of a lack of blazing speed, he is better served as an inside runner" ... Lex's strength, work ethic and ability to understand blocking schemes were what allowed him to remain in the NFL and overcome his lack of speed.
I don't remember anybody, including Justin Green, describing him as fast either. Like literally nobody. That's why he played fullback in the NFL.
Also, here's a list of what RBs ran at the combine for reference to the 4.71: http://www.nfl.com/combine/tracker#day=friday

Sorry, don't agree. The discussion was about whether Nguyen was slow or very slow. You said he was "very slow". I don't agree. I also don't agree that Hilliard or Green were slow, or very slow. Green was mainly a rb/tb in college, not a fullback. There is a difference between needing more speed, for the NFL or college, and being slow or very slow. Also, Nguyen didn't necessarily do pro day to make the NFL. There's also the CFL and other lesser arena leagues. Also, some people just like to compete. Can't imagine that Nguyen thinks he has a shot at the NFL, or maybe he is going to be the world's smallest NFL fullback. New position: fullback/coxswain. The Combine lists all backs as running backs. Don't have a fullback category.
Lastly, being .14 faster in the 40 doesn't make one "fast".

Kyle sample I agree Nguyen, Greene and hilliard were/are slow relative to others at their position.
Having said that I would take any of the three in the Griz backfield in a heart beat. Great Griz and I assume great people. Just slow :D

PlayerRep said:
kyle_sample said:
PlayerRep said:
kyle_sample said:

Sorry, don't agree. The discussion was about whether Nguyen was slow or very slow. You said he was "very slow". I don't agree. I also don't agree that Hilliard or Green were slow, or very slow. Green was mainly a rb/tb in college, not a fullback. There is a difference between needing more speed, for the NFL or college, and being slow or very slow. Also, Nguyen didn't necessarily do pro day to make the NFL. There's also the CFL and other lesser arena leagues. Also, some people just like to compete. Can't imagine that Nguyen thinks he has a shot at the NFL, or maybe he is going to be the world's smallest NFL fullback. New position: fullback/coxswain. The Combine lists all backs as running backs. Don't have a fullback category.
Lastly, being .14 faster in the 40 doesn't make one "fast".

"wiretapping" can mean a lot of things...

zootownrox said:
Counts' numbers are pretty ridiculous, where was that guy all last season.

New here?

Certainly wish him well, but he was no Dan Moore except for the injury issues.

PRO DAY RESULTS (www.gogriz.com)

Name......Position....HT/WT........40/20/10....Vertical/Broad....20/60 Shuttle..3 Cone..Bench
Joey Counts - RB.....5-10/215....4.48/2.6/1.5.......44/9-6.........4.41/11.94.......7.31.......27
Brady Gust - QB.......6-7/230.....4.9/2.8/1.70.......34/9-0.........4.45/12.01.......7.09......DNP
Ryan Johnson - DE....6-2/247.....5.12/2.06/1.89...30.5/8-11......4.71/12.86......7.51.......16
Caleb Kidder - DE.....6-5/269.....4.72/2.68/1.67...33/8-9..........4.18/12.10......6.91.......30
JR Nelson - CB.........6-1/187.....4.47/NA/1.53......38/9-8.........4.21/11.27.......7.00.....DNP
John Nguyen - RB.....5-7/186.....4.73/2.72/1.69....37.5/8-11.....4.43/12.20.......7.17......24
TJ Reynard - CB......5-10/178....4.64/2.74/1.68....34/9-6.........4.58/11.84.......7.04......11
Yamen Sanders - S....6-4/215....4.56/2.62/1.60....42/10-4........4.44/11.72......7.35.......24
Jackson Thiebes - OL.6-5/315....5.39/3.03/1.81....26.5/8-4.......4.91/DNP........7.78.......17
Jake Konen - LB - Carroll..NA.....4.81/2.73/1.72....37/10-0........4.6/12.52.......7.75.......21

Joey Counts, Yamen Sanders, and Caleb Kidder were explosive and strong athletes... helped themselves...

JR Nelson did well sprinting and with hops.

GOOD LUCK to EVERYONE

IntuitiveGriz said:
Joey Counts, Yamen Sanders, and Caleb Kidder were explosive and strong athletes... helped themselves...

JR Nelson did well sprinting and with hops.

GOOD LUCK to EVERYONE

Have been looking to see how Gus threw? Anyone know how that went?

Back