• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rorie Declaring for the Draft

Mattdragon said:
Gaeilge1 said:
I don't know. But even if he does graduate can't he come back if he enrolls in some classes?
yeah, he'd come back Montana if he doesn't get drafted or signed since he didn't sign an agent

If you declare from the draft and don't withdraw 10 days before the draft then you can't return to college. You don't get to wait and see if you get drafted.

I know this is all a formality (and I would bet a lot of $ that no Griz will ever be drafted in the NBA again in my lifetime) but it makes me question Rorie's sense of reality and desire to repeat as Big Sky champs. 34% on 3-pointers isn't a great percentage for a shooting guard. Hall's was 37% and I think he is a joke to be a realistic NBA-er, but he does have some believers somehow.

DPGriz said:
Mattdragon said:
Gaeilge1 said:
I don't know. But even if he does graduate can't he come back if he enrolls in some classes?
yeah, he'd come back Montana if he doesn't get drafted or signed since he didn't sign an agent

If you declare from the draft and don't withdraw 10 days before the draft then you can't return to college. You don't get to wait and see if you get drafted.

Although that's a change I'd like them to consider. There are something like 200 kids that declared early to test the waters. Most don't have agents.

DPGriz said:
Mattdragon said:
Gaeilge1 said:
You have the right idea, but the wording seems slightly different, as given in this Sport Illustrated article:
https://www.si.com/nba/2018-nba-draft-list-declarations

Key quote:
Charlotte Carroll said:
The early entry deadline is April 22, and college players without an agent have until 10 days after the draft combine (May 16–20) to withdraw from the pool.

The draft will be held June 21 in New York, with the draft lottery scheduled for May 15 in Chicago.
So if I'm reading this correctly, early-declarers have until May 30 to withdraw. That's well after the lottery, but three weeks before the draft. My take on this is that it gives the teams the combine plus ten days to assess their needs and how likely they are to fill them ... based on their position in the draft sequence and the talent available. If a player doesn't hear anything during those final ten days, he should not need to wait until draft day to know his chances are slim to none.

BTW: The article includes a list of all the guys who have declared, are thinking about declaring, etc. It's huge.

Back