• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

ROOT Sports

get'em_griz said:
NativeGriz said:
griz5700 said:
Buy cable ya cheapskates.

Personally I dont want the temptation to watch all the other crap, so I have never had cable or sat. TV. Why are EW and PSU only on twice.

Because of ratings.
I was thinking that would be true with PSU, but with EWU's winning record, you would they would have a better fan base. There is a reason they only need a high school size stadium.

My only worry is that the Audience Network (on DirecTV only) will no longer carry the games. Every single Big Sky Root game have been on the audience network to watch from anywhere in the country the past few years. All you have to do is have DirecTV, or better yet, have a friend that has DirecTV. If this is no longer the case most of us outside of those footprints are out of luck watching these games (other than possibly at a sports bar)

NativeGriz said:
get'em_griz said:
NativeGriz said:
griz5700 said:

Personally I dont want the temptation to watch all the other crap, so I have never had cable or sat. TV. Why are EW and PSU only on twice.

Because of ratings.
I was thinking that would be true with PSU, but with EWU's winning record, you would think they would have a better fan base. There is a reason they only need a high school size stadium.

Grizzly Oredigger said:
My only worry is that the Audience Network (on DirecTV only) will no longer carry the games. Every single Big Sky Root game have been on the audience network to watch from anywhere in the country the past few years. All you have to do is have DirecTV, or better yet, have a friend that has DirecTV. If this is no longer the case most of us outside of those footprints are out of luck watching these games (other than possibly at a sports bar)

This is how I was watching...that'd suck

I can't find the EWU game on any of my channel's schedules. Can anyone tell me which channel it will be on? I'm assuming this is Kent Haslam's fault! :x

Sorry, just wanted to be the first in 2017.

dayday said:
Grizz Man said:
kyle_sample said:
Nothing about streaming options. Can't believe Root hasn't figured that out or the Big Sky couldn't make it happen in negotiations. That's really behind the times

There actually is a streaming option, i think, but don't hate me if I'm wrong. The basic Direct TV Now streaming package includes the Audience channel, which has in the past aired many if not all Big Sky Root games. Praying this is the case for the upcoming season...

I'm willing to bet that was only for regional purposes and that a national stream like DIRECTV Now won't air that...

Audience has been showing Root Big Sky games for several years. I found out about it on this board 2 years ago when a fan from FLorida mentioned it. I had AT&T Uverse at the time with a package that included Audience, and I watched all the Griz Root games that year. I live in CA. Fingers crossed for this year!

Check out this "Where to Watch" piece from last year's Griz-MSU game: http://gogriz.com/news/2016/11/18/football-where-to-watch-griz-vs-cats.aspx?path=football. It mentions Audience.

NativeGriz said:
get'em_griz said:
NativeGriz said:
griz5700 said:

Because of ratings.
I was thinking that would be true with PSU, but with EWU's winning record, you would they would have a better fan base. There is a reason they only need a high school size stadium.

If you've seen attendance numbers (excluding playoffs) from the last 5 years you'll see that EWU could probably fill a 15 to 20k sized stadium on a regular basis. Even the non-Montana school home games are as well attended as those games. EWU's problem is 1. state laws that prohibit public money from going towards athletic projects and 2. lack of major donors to get something started.

footballdood said:
NativeGriz said:
get'em_griz said:
NativeGriz said:

Because of ratings.

If you've seen attendance numbers (excluding playoffs) from the last 5 years you'll see that EWU could probably fill a 15 to 20k sized stadium on a regular basis. Even the non-Montana school home games are as well attended as those games. EWU's problem is 1. state laws that prohibit public money from going towards athletic projects and 2. lack of major donors to get something started.

^^^^ Alternative facts...#fakenews

BadlandsGrizFan said:
footballdood said:
NativeGriz said:
get'em_griz said:
Because of ratings.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The seating capacity was increased in 2004 to its current capacity of 8,700 permanent seats. Additional temporary seating is often utilized to accommodate large crowds, which brings the capacity to roughly 12,000

Sept 17, 2016, vs #10 UNI.....9,911
Oct 1, 2016, vs UCDavis....10,179
Oct 8, 2016, vs NoCo....10,741
Oct 29, 2016, vs Montana....10,931
Nov 12, 2016, vs Idaho St....9,722
Dec 3, 2016, vs Cent Ark...6,085
Dec 10, 2016, vs Richmond...5,150
Dec 15, 2016 vs YSU....5,233

Still trying to figure out where those other 4,000-9,000 "fans" are going to come from.

AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
footballdood said:
NativeGriz said:

The seating capacity was increased in 2004 to its current capacity of 8,700 permanent seats. Additional temporary seating is often utilized to accommodate large crowds, which brings the capacity to roughly 12,000

Still trying to figure out where those other 4,000-9,000 "fans" are going to come from.

15-20k on a regular basis is likely false at this point. I would say closer to 12k on a regular basis and 15k for bigger games. I still don't understand where the estimate of 12k with temp bleachers comes from either.

The fans exist, but many won't pay 20-30 bucks for a ticket to come sit exposed to weather in a metal high school bleacher when it's below 50, windy and wet. If the "stadium" was a legit stadium with quality seating, I have no doubt there would be 12 - 13k on a regular basis during the season.

ewueagle2010 said:
AZGrizFan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
footballdood said:

15-20k on a regular basis is likely false at this point. I would say closer to 12k on a regular basis and 15k for bigger games. I still don't understand where the estimate of 12k with temp bleachers comes from either.

The fans exist, but many won't pay 20-30 bucks for a ticket to come sit exposed to weather in a metal high school bleacher when it's below 50, windy and wet. If the "stadium" was a legit stadium with quality seating, I have no doubt there would be 12 - 13k on a regular basis during the season.

The original definition of "fair weather fans."

Back