• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ripped off ArtWork... PROOF.

I find it sad that Jim would have to go to such extremes to market his brother's art.Lane Timothy is one of the most talented artists I have ever known,and would never have to copy anything to claim as his own....By the way,have you ever even approached Lane with this matter?How can you qoute somebody you've never met? I'm sure if you asked Lane,he would agree that he often pulls subject matter from books,magazines,photos etc.This is called artist's interpretation,and he has every right to do so..He is so good that it probably does look like the picture,but I assure you this painting was painted by lane's brush on a blank canvas,and it looks like a Griz to me.Lane has lived in Missoula his whole life and would never do anything to mock our university,or to insult another.....Through the years he has donated to several causes such as Camp Make A Dream, The University Rodeo team,The Grizzly Athletic Association,and most recently the Greg Moore Childrens fund,where his painting sold for $57,000,and all proceeds were donated.Doesn't sound like an artist trying to fill his own wallet,but rather an upstanding citizen with a good heart...The only people you'r hurting in this are the Griz,because believe me when I say,Lane has several fans in the world..His clientele,and work speaks for itself....

How many times do I have to say it (type it) that I'm not doing this to promote my brothers work.

And I've NEVER Quoted Lane Timothy once in this entire thread. Read back through... any quotes come from other posters.

I didn't want to be doing this today.. but I decided to do a little reading on copyright laws and infringements... and everyones little theory on the 'Pose' and 'Image' hold very little water to these written laws of copyright infringement. So if you were looking for quotes, here they come.

Please read the following:
An artist's rendering of a photographic image in another medium is a derivative use of an image and therefore requires the prior written permission of the copyright owner of the original image.
Re-creating a photographic image is a derivative use and therefore requires the prior written permission of the copyright owner of the original image.
-from The American Society of Media Photographers
Another one...
Copyrighted Photographic Images may not be reproduced or copied in any form whatsoever, including the copying of the idea or concept of the image, without express written permission from the copyright holder
Last One...
Making a substantially similar copy of someone else's copyrighted image without authorization constitutes copyright infringement. It is usually necessary to show that the alleged infringer had access to the original work-but the images may be so closely identical that no explanation other than copying is possible.

How can you truly look at these two pictures and not see that this is more than merely 'reproducing' a pose, or re-creating the idea? (both of which are illegal from what I read above)

I wouldn't know Lane Timothy if he came up and kicked me in the shin. I got nothing against the guy personally, I'm sure he's an upstanding citizen and all that, just as I am. But I can't respect him as an ARTIST knowing that he's used THIS PICTURE in particular to base his work on.

THATS the point here, do you people not actually read what I've posted??

And I never stated that the work didn't come from Lanes brush. I've never implied he took the photo and pasted in on a canvas and merely painted over it. That is beyond ANYONE.

Jim

It is NOT ethical to copy another's work and claim it as your own. What bothers me most is the ridiculous denial. The man is lying when he says it is just a coincidence that it is similar. Anyone in their right mind can tell it's a copy. Make up your own mind if he is an 'upstanding citizen.'

ok, say all of this is true...........There are alot of serious issues going on in our world,not to mention our own community...I'm sure this guy didn't mean to offend anyone......Put your energy toward things that really matter ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow...This topic has heated up since one of Mr. Lane's buddies found the site! Jim, don't waste your time trying to explain it to this person, who has logged in with three different names now. They are either just trying to stir your pot up....or they just don't get it. In either case, they are not worth your time.

Real Griz fans get it......Bin Laden in a Marines uniform! :x

Don't you find it interesting that the last post says to put your energy toward things that REALLY MATTER..........It seems like someone who was truely worried about Things that REALLY MATTER wouldn't waste their time arguing a point they didn't think REALLY MATTERS....... :roll:

Tim Lane did what he did....it was wrong....Griz fans should be upset....now he must live with it. It is pretty simple. No need to get ugly about it. :wink:

Back