• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ripped off ArtWork... PROOF.

GoodGodGriz

DONOR
Everyone,
As you know or may not know, Tim Joyner (my brother) did a print for the Montana Grizzlies this year. All pictures included and used were pre-approved by the photograper (Todd Goodrich) and the University of Montana. Tims piece can be viewed at www.joynerart.com

You may have heard the buzz surrounding a print by artist Lane Timothy who is displaying a print at "Art of this World" in the SouthGate Mall.

There are some pictures apparantly being emailed around showing the similarities of Lanes work to a photo of Adrian Peterson(GSU). I did a bit of research today and indeed have found the proof of this so called artists 'rip off'. See picture below.

Not only did this guy have the audacity to copy a picture, but of Adrian Peterson no less! Nothing against the guy personally.

This 'artwork' should be banned and the artists stripped of his rights to ever do 'collegiate' work again. Call Art of This World to voice your opinion at 406-721-5181. Forward this message and picture to anyone within the University circle, friends, etc. as this type of blatant 'stealing' is illegal and immoral.

Jim Joyner
proof.jpg

wow, that looks identical. it looks as if he just printed the picture from the net, blew it up and painted over it. I know Lane and it amazes me that he would do that!! Maybe there is a story behind it (a reason for the similarities) Maybe someday we will find out!!

I dont know Lane at all, and everyone is entitled to produce whatever art they want... its America isn't it? But when its something this blatent then people are getting hurt by the dishonesty involved (People at UM who worked with him with have repurcussions, the art gallery, the original photograhper, the people who have purchased this piece thinking they were getting an original piece or artwork, Adrian Peterson even...) then it simply burns me.

Jim
[Edit:
I had previously stated that UM/Wayne Hogan were involved in some fashion to have this print produced. I can't back that up, and my apologies to WH/UM for this incorrect statement. ]

Not that I condone what this so called artist has obviously done, but claiming that Wayne Hogan and UM was involved in it is total BS!! So Jim do you have proof that UM was involved or are you just breaking wind through your pie hole??? From what I have heard from UM is that they were approached by the art gallery to promote the print in exchange for a donation. and it ended right there. If you have any info otherwise Jim, post it on here. If you don't, then it's a shame that you would slam UM publicly after all they have done to promote your brothers' excellent piece.

Jim, if you don't know what Powder River, Let Er Buck means, then maybe you shouldn't be posting on a Grizzly message board. Sheeeshhh!!!!!

Hammer,
My knowledge of UM involvement ends with what you said... Hogan/UM helped promote the piece in exchange for a donation.

I personally think that UM should get a little more than what this artist RE-produced. I mean, wouldn't it be nice to have an original piece of work, of a UM player (not a competitor?)

What we understand is that Lane Timothy was commissioned by Art of this World to produce this piece, and the donation was from the Gallery. So, to make his money, Lane simply found an easy pic to COPY and sell as his own.

The University is a much a victim in this whole deal as anyone. I'm not doing this so my brothers art will be sold more than Lanes.. he's doing just fine on his own, I dont think that UM / GRIZ Fans should be sold something that is not what is promised.

Peace about this... its something the NCAA Licensing Committee should deal with. Im just raising awareness.

Jim

Jim, just to clarify, since no donation EVER came from Art of this World, UM did not promote the print in any way. I just found fault with your statement about WH/UM being directly involved. That was a false statement. I agree with you that this gallery/artist needs to have his collegiate art licence revoked. But please don't say UM was invoved because if anything they have distanced themselves from this.

Who was #3 on the 2001 roster? This year it appears to be #3 Trey Young, a free safety.

Thank you for posting the original photo next to the oil painting. I'd have to disagree with the artist on the few counts. First, last time I checked, the Griz did not have a stripe on their helmets and the face mask should be maroon, not a grayish color like Georgia Southern's.

So, if the artist is going to say it's a coincidence, at least that individual should have taken the time to be accurate.

I have the original picture somewhere at home of AP. In the original, even the guys on the background lying on the ground are the same. It's no coincidence.

I think that AP pose was either on the 2001 GSU media guide or pocket schedule.

Here is an except of the artist's response:
Please notice the other body, the color changes, etc. Adrian Petersen was an outstanding player, but nobody "owns" a pose, which is the one and only similarity between this painting and that picture. I can assure you plenty of other running backs have been in that position before.

My only problem with that is #3 is a free safety on Montana, not a RB.

1) I know it's too far for you to come, but if you were in our store you would see a 3 1/2 x 4 ft. original oil painting, and it looks quite a bit
different than this picture(which I had never seen before).

Here is what the GSU Media Relations director had to say about the print:
Since the photo is officially the property of GSU, let's just say our administration is dealing with it in an appropriate and just manner.

That is pathetic. I am going to write a letter to Art of this World to complain. Perhaps the Missoulian needs to do a story on this.

Yep....quite clear on this one.....I didn't realize the artist had denied that he copied this pic. Not so smart... It is clearly a rip off. If it was a Griz player, it would have the Big Sky confernce patch on the right shoulder pad.

The one that really gets me though is how if you look at the left shoulder pad and scope the Nike design...look at how the wrinkles there even match the photo....

It is too bad.... If I were that guy I would remove it from the portfolio! And give up the arguement. And lay low for a while....

Just a final word on this thread...

This is a clear case of using someone else's 'property' (apparantly GSU 'owns' the rights to the picture) for profit. If the artist Lane Timothy has "written permission" from GSU to use the picture then there is no situation here. However, from previous posts here, he is seemingly denying the fact that he copied it all, which leads me to believe that he did not have that permission.

The big burner is that he used a rivals picture for the piece. Tell me how many GRIZ fans want a picture of Adrian Peterson in a GRIZ uniform (wait, its really a GSU uniform painted maroon isn't it?) commemorating the GRIZ National Championship? Leaves a bit of a sour taste in your mouth doesn't it.

I'm hopeful and confident that this situation will be resolved in the near future.

Didn't mean to start a huge controversy, just open the eyes of the GRIZ fans to what a travesty this whole thing has become.

In the immortal words of Greg Proops...
Peace Out

Even as a lifelong Georgia Southern fan, I can see why you Griz fans should be outraged. We're proud of our six national championships, but your program has our utter respect, and taking the player whose individual effort denied the Griz a national championship in an exceedingly competitive and well-played game in 2000 and transforming him into an image meant to represent the team is a slap in the face of the 2000 runners-up more than anyone. Number two may not be where the 2000 team wanted to be, but that group was exceptional, and this disrespects them more than anyone! Another three minutes in that game and Montana may have been back-to-back champs! (As a GSU fan, I don't really think that ) :lol:

The real kicker is that the artist denies everything. The version you see here (from the apforheisman site) is not the original pictire, which even further reinforces the ripoff. Sorry it had to happen to great football fans like you, because if someone put Yo Humphrey in a GSU uniform, our fans would be outraged, too. Yo was a great player, but he was no more an Eagle than Adrian was a Grizzly.

Go Eagles! Go Griz! Let's meet in Chattanooga and show ESPN what a NC game is all about again like we did in 2000!!!

Rockin Eagle,

Amen to your statement above, couldn't have said it better myself.

Your outlook on this situation is certainly fresh and intelligently thought out. Thanks for your input.

Jim

:-? Forum Index -> Talon Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic
SilverTip

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:19 pm Post subject: Ripped off? What do you guys think?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being GSU faithful and Peterson fans, you all need to take a look at some supposed 'original' artwork. http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/viewtopic.php?t=51

SilverTip

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:33 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just another link so you can see where this 'art' is being displayed.
http://www.artofthisworld.com
This link doesnt seem to be working like I thought it would, but it will work if ya copy n paste.

bcube

Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:10 pm Post subject:

Wow what a blatant rip off.

gsuone

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:13 am Post subject:

this is not a good thing for the Montana fans....ripping off on success from AP and his work by artists

blueballs

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 11:54 am Post subject:

What a slap in the face to the Montana program. SilverTip, you guys are successful enough and have enough class that you shouldn't have artwork depicting a rival's picture in your uniform. This is blatent plagarism and I wouldn't be surprised to see legal action come from this. What a shame!

Eaglegus2

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:12 pm Post subject:

I can litagation coming over the sunset.

I just hate that this has happened to Montana.

Hamfan

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 3:40 pm Post subject:

Yep, that's a picture of AP alright. Like the guy on the UM board said....the artist did not even bother to change his number. It would actually have been a nice rendering to commemorate our 1999 title.

I agree with what blueballs said about the Montana program and hope that UM and their fans won't stand for it.

GSC75

Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:28 pm Post subject:

as an artist myself, one comment......"UN-BELIEVEABLE"! The original photo is obviously copyrighted and this so-called artist needs to be held accountable. This "painting" needs to be pulled. Montana fans should be livid.

steeleagle

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:06 pm Post subject:

Here is the lame answer that I got when I e-mailed the owner of the gallery:

(My original e-mail) I'm glad to see that you are ripping off Montana as well as Georgia Southern fans. You need to pull this picture from circulation. BTW, I have some political cartoons for sale. They may look a lot like the ones that appear in the NY Times every Sunday, but they are original (I promise). the artist and dealer should be ashamed!

(His response) I'm not sure if you've been in our store to see the original, but I would invite you to do so. It is a 3 1/2 by 4 foot oil painting, and is clearly not a "copy" of the picture of Adriane Petersen.

I am sorry if you feel like the artist copied a picture of a player, but the fact of the matter is that it's very different. If you stopped in to see it, I'm pretty sure you'd agree.

A person in brought it to our attention earlier that their is a likeliness, but even if the artist used Adriane Petersen's pose, it's not really a "one of a kind". Did you happen to see the other player in the picture? If you looked at sports paintings, you will see styles and poses that look very familiar. Does that make it "wrong" for the artist to use it?

Again, I am sorry for how you feel, but I assure you the artist is not somebody who needs to "copy" pictures. He is very renowned- he just sold an original to Ashley Judd last week for $57,000.

Thanks for your consideration, and again I am sorry for any misunderstanding.

Does anyone have Ashley Judd's address? I have a bridge in Brooklyn I need to sell quickly!!!

gsuone

Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 10:15 pm Post subject:

On the ESPN Div I-aa message board this is a heavy topic of concern as well. Many of the Montana fans were not happy at all with this so called "Artwork"

By the way....I am curious what print that Ashley Judd purchased considering that she is a HUGE Kentcuky fan and has little interest in Montana sports (if my memory serves correct).......you can usually see her on the tv when the kentucky basketball games are televised

How sad that some disgruntled individual (Jim Joyner) would be so unhappy with his life to throw stones at others. If he knew anything about art at all he would understand that any photo and I mean "ANY PHOTO" can and is interpreted by artists worldwide everyday. It doesn't matter where their ideas for their work comes from, it is all FAIR GAME! I am an artist and I work with artists around the country. Any photo can be interpreted and painted by an artist as long as he is not doing portrait style painting(the art of actually painting on photographs). He is creating a look through the use of paint and brush, he is not using anything but images and NO ON OWNS IMAGES unless someone chooses to reproduce a photograph that is copyrighted by someone, as their own photographs, or a painting as their painting.
Stop crying Jim Joyner and stop pushing your brothers painting because you are upset about one persons success and disappointed by yours.
Life is bigger than what your mind can comprehend so instead of staying small minded, try to evolve!

Wow,
I had to think long and hard about how to reply to this posting by "Jerry" who is only man enough to be a 'guest' on this board and not reveal his identity.

A couple of things...
1 - I am not doing this to help promote my brothers art. I've said that about 10 times here and on other boards. His sales are doing fine. If anything, my brother is more than a bit peeved that I'm taking this stance. I'd be doing this if I had no relationship what so ever... its about GRIZ PRIDE.

2 - I am not an artist, and I dont pretend to be. But I followed very closely every single step my brother had to take to produce his artwork, and that included:
- Getting express written permission from UM and the photographer for any image he used in his picture.
- Getting licensed by the NCAA Collegiate Licenesing program
- Getting the picture approved by UM and NCAA.
- Getting Insurance on the original
- Paying a percent of each sale to the University and the NCAA.
- Numerous other hoops.

Tell me this, if ANY picture, as you state above, is fair game for anyone to 'artistically replicate', then why did my brother have to get pre-approval and permissions from the University and the NCAA?

So, What are my problems with this? I'll tell ya, AGAIN.The artist chose a rival team, and a rival player to 'copy'. Hell, he didn't bother to take the stripe from the helmet (the Griz dont have one by the way) He copied every detail of the picture, from every wrinkle in the uniform to the arm bands. You call that 'artistic reproduction?' Now I have nothing but respect for Adrian Peterson, great athlete and probably a nice guy.

Was the artist in this case so 'hard up' for a quick painting that he didn't bother to do any research at all into the matter? I can almost guarantee you that GSU has some type of ownership of that picture, I've heard it was in their media guides and used for all sorts of promotional literature.

Please, look at this from a 'GRIZ FANS' perspective. The legal question is yet to be, and may never be, answered. But as a FAN, would you buy this picture knowing the guy in the uniform is the same guy that rumbled 40+ yards two years ago to beat the Griz in a national championship game?

Thats like putting Osama Bin Laden in a US Military Uniform!

Its a slap in the face to the Griz Fans, the University, the community of Missoula, and the State of Montana.

By the way... The T-Shirt Ship did another National Championship Print, and I'm not throwing rocks at them, now am I? Its a respectable piece and I hope they do well with it. I had no 'issues' Timothy Lanes piece until I had heard of the 'copy' and then found the picture for myself. Hell, its' been for sale longer than my brothers piece. Was I just waiting for an 'opportunistic time' to 'throw my rocks'? Please...

Jerry, look at the 'Big Picture' here and try to understand where 'the fans' are coming from.

I have lots of back hair, but I'm pretty sure that I evolved some time ago... :wink:

P.S. - Read what others have to say above... my sentiment isn't singular in this case at all.

P.S.S - If I'm so 'unhappy' in my life, then howcome my picture (the bald guy holding the bottle of Hot Damn!) clearly shows me as a happy go lucky individual?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Can't we all just get along?" - Rodney King.

Back