• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Reid Miller is official

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-football-gains-arkansas-grad-transfer-safety-reid-miller/article_22e5ae74-a690-5a47-8789-5370cc12fb65.html
MISSOULA — Reid Miller isn't big into social media.

The Pennsylvania native rarely uses his Twitter account and his teammates at the University of Arkansas convinced him to sign up for Instagram just this year.

He has three pictures posted onto said Instagram account and his bio simply reads "Griz football." That's the only thing publicly connecting the future Montana safety to his new program.

"I don't like to post pictures," Reid told 406mtsports.com with a laugh. "I don't like to Tweet and all that."

Because of that, Miller's graduate transfer to the University of Montana flew somewhat under the radar.

A 5-foot-9, 202-pound safety, Miller said he filed his paperwork with Montana this week but told coaches of his commitment in mid-May. The rising senior has one year of eligibility remaining.

Miller adds depth to the defensive backs room. There are currently five safeties on Montana's roster — not including the true freshmen or spring walk-ons.

Miller decided to transfer out of the Arkansas program after spring ball concluded. He said that Montana came to the table late in the recruiting process but he was familiar with Bobby Hauck and the Montana program from early on in his football career.

"Even in high school I knew about the history of Montana football," Miller said. "From a young age I knew they were a really good program and made the playoffs consistently every year.

"... Coach Hauck's a great guy, a great coach and I've heard a lot of things about him. He and Coach (Bret) Bielema, my old coach who recruited me, had a good relationship. They talked and that's how it started."

Safeties coach Shann Schillinger was also involved in Miller's recruiting process.

The reasons Miller decided to transfer out of the Arkansas football program were two-fold.

He is passionate about getting his MBA but the University of Arkansas is currently revamping the program. And Bielema — the coach who recruited Miller to become a Razorback in the first place — was fired after Arkansas went 4-8 last year.

"Obviously when the person that recruits you leaves, it's sorta tough," Miller said. "... I also really wanted to get my MBA. So it was a little bit of both."

Miller graduated from the University of Arkansas in three years, earning his bachelor's degree in Supply Chain Management with a management minor in May.

Before graduating, Miller only participated in a few practices of spring ball after needing to have his appendix removed.

"I stepped on the field maybe two or three practices and my appendix was about to burst," Miller said. "I had surgery and I was held out of the spring game just for precautionary purposes, so that sort of set me back too."

Miller primarily played on special teams for Arkansas, played in all 12 games as a junior, racking up nine tackles and recovered one fumble. Miller also played in all 13 of Arkansas' games as a sophomore and totaled nine tackles.

He walked on to Razorback program in 2015 and earned a scholarship from Bielema before his sophomore campaign. Miller earned that scholarship after playing in 12 of Arkansas' 13 games as a true freshman.

Before suiting up at Arkansas, Miller played high school football at Hollidaysburg High School in Pennsylvania and transferred to IMG Academy in Florida for his senior season.
Miller will be the second SEC drop-down to come to Montana in recent memory. Former Montana quarterback Reese Phillips came to UM from Kentucky after the 2015 season.

Miller is looking to make the most of his last year of eligibility.

"Obviously, contribute on defense and special teams," Miller said of what he wants to accomplish this fall. "Coach Hauck is a big special teams guy, so I'll do whatever to help the team win, honestly. If he tells me to be the water boy, I'll be the water boy."

To show his devotion to his future team, Miller plans to move up to the Treasure State on June 9 to spend the summer working out with the Grizzlies.

He'll be visiting Montana for the first time on Sunday to get things in order before moving up for good.

"I didn't want to come there right before fall camp and just jump into practice," Miller said. "I want to get there and show them what I'm about and let them know I'll do anything for them and for the team.

"My whole goal is to get there in June and just start developing relationships with the guys. That's the biggest thing. Just show them who you are and that you're there to work and help the team in anyway that you can."

I'll take a kid like that any day....great attitude and mind set! Gotta read the whole article as it didn't completely paste above from Payton

"Obviously, contribute on defense and special teams," Miller said of what he wants to accomplish this fall. "Coach Hauck is a big special teams guy, so I'll do whatever to help the team win, honestly. If he tells me to be the water boy, I'll be the water boy."

To show his devotion to his future team, Miller plans to move up to the Treasure State on June 9 to spend the summer working out with the Grizzlies.

He'll be visiting Montana for the first time on Sunday to get things in order before moving up for good.

"I didn't want to come there right before fall camp and just jump into practice," Miller said. "I want to get there and show them what I'm about and let them know I'll do anything for them and for the team.

"My whole goal is to get there in June and just start developing relationships with the guys. That's the biggest thing. Just show them who you are and that you're there to work and help the team in anyway that you can."

ding, ding , ding , this kid may be just what we need for this coming year....fills a needed position and seems motivated.....upper class men type leadership skills and goal oriented (maters degree is very important to him) ......usually do not care much for one and done guys, this might be a significant exception......doesn't hurt that he played special teams in the S.E.C. either....

krammer said:
ding, ding , ding , this kid may be just what we need for this coming year....fills a needed position and seems motivated.....upper class men type leadership skills and goal oriented (maters degree is very important to him) ......usually do not care much for one and done guys, this might be a significant exception......doesn't hurt that he played special teams in the S.E.C. either....

My thought too. Seems to have been well-regarded and well-liked at his prior school. Will surely help with special teams, but has a chance to get on field as a safety. I assume that's his goal. Certainly adds depth there. Glad he's coming.

PlayerRep said:
krammer said:

My thought too. Seems to have been well-regarded and well-liked at his prior school. Will surely help with special teams, but has a chance to get on field as a safety. I assume that's his goal. Certainly adds depth there. Glad he's coming.
I agree. Reid Miller could be this year's Ben Roberts!

Ummm...as many more of guys like these that we can rack up :thumb:

grizfan95 said:

Well not essentially. Depth is already pretty solid at Water Boy.

signedbewildered said:
grizfan95 said:

Well not essentially. Depth is already pretty solid at Water Boy.

yeah, but greenie is starting to show his age. rotating guys in and out will keep him fresher for the playoffs.

grizfan95 said:

Agreed! Team players like this are great to have. There attitude can have a very positive affect on an entire team! Sounds like Sneed is this type of player as well. I like!

Go Griz!

Reid Miller joined us for about 20 minutes at the top of the second hour of our show yesterday. Here's the podcast.

https://soundcloud.com/tootell/tootell-nuanez-june-7th-2018-hour-2

Arkansas grad transfer safety Miller ready for latest experience with Griz
https://skylinesportsmt.com/arkansas-grad-transfer-safety-miller-ready-for-latest-experience-with-griz/

Miller looks/sounds awesome:

1. “Even before the visit, I was sold on Montana,” Miller said. “Coach Hauck, he’s been so successful. He’s 80-17 at the University of Montana. That speaks for itself. They have been so successful underneath him and he’s a great guy, a great person. He was the same guy throughout the entire process, same thing with Coach Schillinger.”

2. "Miller joins a Montana secondary that loses a glut of experience from last season. Safety Justin Strong is battling for a roster spot with the New York Jets while safeties Mick Delaney and Korey Alexander exhausted their eligibility. Cornerback Ryan McKinley earned a shot with the Tennessee Titans before being released while fellow starting Griz corner Markell Sanders quit the team following last season.

This off-season, UM added Arizona transfer Gavin Robertson and Northern Arizona transfer Robby Hauck, Bobby’s son. The team also returns junior Josh Sandry and signed three prep safeties."

3. “The coaches expect to play me and they expect to play me a lot but nothing is promised,” Miller said. “I’ll play special teams too. That’s a big part of the game too. I just want to help the team anywhere I can. We are there to win football games.”

4. “There’s a time and place for me to speak up but being a newcomer on the team, I’m definitely going to learn and watch the veterans on the University of Montana, how they work out, how they play. I can’t wait to get to work.”

Agreed. With Miller, Robertson and now Hauck Jr. being eligible I think Hauck has done a great job of shoring up that area...

Yukon said:
how hard or easy is it to move a safety to corner? Is it a difficult adjustment?

Most players move the OTHER direction....if you're good enough to be playing corner, you're already playing it.

AZGrizFan said:
Yukon said:
how hard or easy is it to move a safety to corner? Is it a difficult adjustment?

Most players move the OTHER direction....if you're good enough to be playing corner, you're already playing it.

This is true to some extent. The exceptions are:

1. What the recruit played in high school is not necessarily determinant of what the recruit play in college, including moving from high school safety to corner. I moved from high school linebacker to college corner.

2. There are some safeties, not many, who can move to corner. I think a redshirt from last year may have moved to corner, or at least tried it in the spring. Note Jimmy Wilson. I know he moved from corner to safety at UM, due mostly to the need for another safety, but had he happened to be a safety first (say because of need), he could have moved to corner.

3. It will depend in part on quickness, agility and speed. Some safeties have enough to switch. Some guys who have enough of these attributes are playing safety because they are hard/good tacklers or bigger.

4. It's easier to switch if the defensive scheme is more zone, or the scheme protects one corner/side more than the other (the field v. boundary).

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
Yukon said:

This is true to some extent. The exceptions are:

1. What the recruit played in high school is not necessarily determinant of what the recruit play in college, including moving from high school safety to corner. I moved from high school linebacker to college corner.

2. There are some safeties, not many, who can move to corner. I think a redshirt from last year may have moved to corner, or at least tried it in the spring. Note Jimmy Wilson. I know he moved from corner to safety at UM, due mostly to the need for another safety, but had he happened to be a safety first (say because of need), he could have moved to corner.

3. It will depend in part on quickness, agility and speed. Some safeties have enough to switch. Some guys who have enough of these attributes are playing safety because they are hard/good tacklers or bigger.

4. It's easier to switch if the defensive scheme is more zone, or the scheme protects one corner/side more than the other (the field v. boundary).
thank you both. that helps.

An interesting Q&A with Reid Miller by Andrew Houghton on his travels, life at IMG Academy and playing in the SEC

Q&A: Graduate transfer safety Reid Miller brings pedigree to the Griz
https://skylinesportsmt.com/qa-graduate-transfer-safety-reid-miller-brings-pedigree-to-the-griz/

Back