• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Possible Trial in lead up to Griz/Cat next year in Missoula...

Brother Bear

In what could be quite the interesting week next fall leading up to the Brawl in Missoula, you might just have a seven-person jury trial involving Griz Athletics and staffers on Nov. 13 at the Russell Smith Federal Courthouse in Missoula, according to court documents obtained by MTN Sports. Haslam could be quite busy if still on the playoff selection committee that week as well next fall.

https://www.montanasports.com/sports/big-sky-conference/montana-grizzlies/jury-trial-date-set-for-former-lady-griz-coachs-lawsuit-against-university-of-montana#:~:text=MISSOULA%20%E2%80%94%20A%20trial%20date%20for,documents%20obtained%20by%20MTN%20Sports.

To read the full updated court document click here: https://ewscripps.brightspotcdn.com/ea/50/a2df3bae499ab424df5104a45cb1/schweyenorder8182022.pdf

"When athletic director Kent Haslam reneged on his decision to extend Coach Schweyen’s contract in April 2020, the only reason he gave for the decision was that two women’s basketball players had entered the transfer portal," the lawsuit states. "He did not fire male coaches when their players entered the transfer portal in equal and greater numbers. When questioned, Haslam claimed Schweyen’s team culture was horrible.
https://www.montanasports.com/sports/former-montana-lady-griz-basketball-coach-shannon-schweyen-suing-university

This is who UM is hiring as a defense attorney: https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/crime-and-courts/attorney-for-western-montana-school-districts-pleads-guilty-to-dui/article_97d8c3b9-2688-54a4-a61b-1018764de6bf.html

Elizabeth Kaleva definitely seems like someone Willie Mack Garza would want on defense! For all you attorney's (armchair or real) how bad is this going to be next fall for the University? Will it settle beforehand and who comes out on top?

I think the small employment/civil rights firm in DC representing her, is a highly regarded firm. This blurb is from their LinkedIn:

""We are pleased the Court rejected the University’s argument that Coach Schweyen’s sex discrimination case should be decided in arbitration," said Linda M. Correia. "Coach Schweyen's case will move forward in federal court, where proceedings are public, and after discovery, the case will be decided by a jury of her peers, instead of by a single arbitrator under the cover of a private process."

We are proud to represent Coach Schweyen with Goetz, Geddes & Gardner P.C."

While the local counsel firm often doesn't do much, the Goetz firm is one of the top litigation firms in MT. Goetz and the judge in the case, Dana Christianson, were/are 2 of the very best litigators in MT. Goetz is into his later 70's now, and is probably winding down.

The judge, of Stanford and UM Law, is a very good judge, will pay close attention to the case and will not "home town" the DC lawyers. My guess is that UM is going to have a fight on their hands, and I could see settlement in the future. I know nothing about the case or situation except what is in the complaint and newspaper articles.

rgrizfan said:
This has nothing to do with Griz football or FCS football.

It is if Haslam is still on the selection committee and isn't able to attend the selection committee meetings in Indianapolis.

mthoopsfan said:
rgrizfan said:

It is if Haslam is still on the selection committee and isn't able to attend the selection committee meetings in Indianapolis.

Zoom, Teams and other technology can probably be used to pipe him for the selection committee. Much ado about nothing.

Either S.S. settles this case in the next few months, or it gets pushed back for the next 1-5 years... This coming from a layperson who has seen this play out in the courts with UM and J.J. almost 10 years ago this month...No way this is an issue for Griz football next fall..

birdieman said:
Either S.S. settles this case in the next few months, or it gets pushed back for the next 1-5 years... This coming from a layperson who has seen this play out in the courts with UM and J.J. almost 10 years ago this month...No way this is an issue for Griz football next fall..

Cases in federal district court in Montana rarely get pushed back. Judge Christensen has announced he will assume senior status and his successor may be confirmed by fall, which means it is extremely likely the case will go to trial in the fall if it doesn’t settle. Going to be interesting.

Copper Griz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Zoom, Teams and other technology can probably be used to pipe him for the selection committee. Much ado about nothing.

My understanding is that the informal talks and gatherings and socializing, outside of meetings, are as important as the meetings (which could be attended remotely). Meetings where UM is being discussed can't be attended by Haslam, so his only time to talk about UM's situation is outside of meetings. Also, you can't read people's body language via zoom, and can't hear side conversations. What you said is not accurate.

I have some recollection that last fall might have been Haslam's last year on the committee, but don't know.

mthoopsfan said:
rgrizfan said:

Could be huge. Griz might be forced on the road or left out entirely from the round of 24 they're so dominant in.

goatcreekgriz said:
birdieman said:

Cases in federal district court in Montana rarely get pushed back. Judge Christensen has announced he will assume senior status and his successor may be confirmed by fall, which means it is extremely likely the case will go to trial in the fall if it doesn’t settle. Going to be interesting.

I don’t know anything about this litigation. Can someone explain why this is in federal court? I’m assuming federal claim? Federal judge denied a motion to compel arbitration or something?

Mousegriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Could be huge. Griz might be forced on the road or left out entirely from the round of 24 they're so dominant in.

Griz might not get seeded as high as they should be.

CDAGRIZ said:
goatcreekgriz said:

I don’t know anything about this litigation. Can someone explain why this is in federal court? I’m assuming federal claim? Federal judge denied a motion to compel arbitration or something?

I haven’t paid much attention, either, but I believe it is a Title VII claim and it sounds like a motion to compel arbitration was denied. The OP linked the scheduling order, so it may be worth a look on PACER to figure out what is going on. I think it has to be a federal claim, otherwise I would expect the judge to bounce it based on sovereign immunity.

mthoopsfan said:
Mousegriz said:

Griz might not get seeded as high as they should be.

Critical for the continued impressive "playoff win every year" and Top 30 year end poll positions that Hauck’s achieved since he rode back into Missoula!

mthoopsfan said:
Griz til I die said:
She won’t make it to trial

Won't "make it" to trial? Huh?
Why do you continue to defend her? She’s literally a god awful person and a terrible coach. Anybody who went to a game over her 4 years as coach saw that clear as day. For somebody who sure acts like the AD’s biggest cheerleader it seems odd that you keep trying to defend her!

Griz til I die said:
mthoopsfan said:
Why do you continue to defend her? She’s literally a god awful person and a terrible coach. Anybody who went to a game over her 4 years as coach saw that clear as day. For somebody who sure acts like the AD’s biggest cheerleader it seems odd that you keep trying to defend her!

I think she may make to trial because there are issues of fact regarding disparate treatment in light of how male coaches are treated or whether the reasons given for discharge were a pretext. She might lose in the end but she may have a good chance to get it to a jury.

Griz til I die said:
mthoopsfan said:

I wasn’t defending her and never have. I asked a question because I didn’t understand what you said. I have never been a cheerleader for the AD. What planet are you on?

Griz til I die said:
mthoopsfan said:

I am not going to defend her or criticize her as a coach.Not going there. But I think it’s a sad deal that the greatest Lady Griz player ever ended up in this conflict with UM. Hell she might be the most dominant athlete in their sport ever at UM. Just a bad deal all around.

Back