• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

parent's politics

Bronco

DONOR
I've only known one person who has the opposite politics from his parents. His folks are liberal school teachers and he's right of Reagan.

Anyone here have political views different than their parents?

I guess I believe what you hear around the dinner table shapes you for life and is unusual to have different views.

If it is different ...what happened to shape your current views?

My mom is a Christian Conservative, my dad might be best described as a liberal leaning moderate with some libertarian tendencies (ie First Amendment, some states rights).

My own political development was shaped by a rejection of Christianity and its historical and modern (and I would add, negative) influence over politics in this country. My opinion is that government, generally, is neither the overt cause nor the overt solution to our nations problems. It is merely a tool that can be used in many cases to make life better for its citizens.

Bronco said:
I've only known one person who has the opposite politics from his parents. His folks are liberal school teachers and he's right of Reagan.

Anyone here have political views different than their parents?

I guess I believe what you hear around the dinner table shapes you for life and is unusual to have different views.

If it is different ...what happened to shape your current views?

I'm pretty much the same as my parents, maybe a little more moderate than they are. I'd say the same as my wife, similar to hers, but a little more moderate.

I do have a friend who is a model Libertarian, and his parents were big on the Green Party, does that count?

Does anyone here let personal politics affect their relationships and associations with other people? For example, would you take ,as a significant other, someone who is your political opposite?

Mung said:
Does anyone here let personal politics affect their relationships and associations with other people? For example, would you take ,as a significant other, someone who is your political opposite?

It happens more than people think. The classic example has to be Carville and Matalin.

Mung said:

I wouldn't consider us opposites but my wife and I a lot of the times cancel each others votes out.

Interesting question. My dad is an old-school Butte Democrat - very pro union, etc. My mom is more of a modern style liberal, as is my brother. I'm somewhere in between the fiscal conservative wing of the Republican party and the Libertarians - sort of an old school conservative, before the religious right took over the GOP.

I wouldn't say that my views are opposite of those of my parents but I distrust government far more than either of them.

My mom is a conservative. My dad died before I could discuss politics with him but he worked on the Smelter and then in construction so we had all these Mondale pins around the house which would lean him to the Democrats. My father was a cousin of Keenan as well. I was basically given the opportunity to hear from both sides and choose for myself.

My Dad wasn't to into politics when I was growing up. If I had to pick back then I would say a very moderate democrat. The last 15-20 years he has come around and is very conservative.

My Mom wouldn't know who was running for any office let alone how to vote. She has never participated in any election. I tell her she should vote because it is a priviledge, and many people don't have the opportunity to vote in free elections. She just tells me to go to hell and mind my own business.

There could never be a candidate that was to conservative for me to vote for, if any candidate would run on the we are truly going to cut spending and lower taxes I would vote for them under any party affiliation. Then we would just have to deal with the house and senate to get anything done.

I am a huge proponent of a 17% flat tax. There is a very good book on this subject by Steve Forbes. The title is Flat Tax Revolution and it just came out this year.

My brother, sister and I all have different politics than our parents. My Mom is from France so that explains her nutty thinking and my Dad is a union worker so there's that load of tripe to swallow from the union propaganda. Funny though that my Dad is pretty conservative but traditions die hard. He votes for people that he has many disagreements with. Weird.......

..i hear ya savage paw.

I find it so interesting just how many people I encounter who vote/think/preach under one political philosophy... and yet live contrary to their political beliefs. Perfect examples of this are Teddy Kennedy and John Kerry. I frequently encounter this in my own community too. Think how many "movie type" people who scream about environmental issues... and yet have many homes (using THEIR unfair share of natural resources) and large cars (S.U.V.'s... god forbid!) and some even have their own airplanes. Just think about the amount of natural resources that someone like Barbara Streisand consumes... and yet she preaches on her website that: the masses should turn down their thermostats and sell their suv's. What hypocrosy.

And... remember when Rosie O'Donnell was caught with an unregistered gun..... after preaching ad nausem about gun control and registration?

Or when the Earth First president in Seattle area was in trouble for cutting trees down on his property?

And what movie star was it that got in trouble for bulldozing a stretch of beach in front of their property to build a boat dock... and they destroyed some wierd fish/bird-egg-laying area unique to the island they were on?

Or when Ted Kennedy forms a family foundation and places his Palm Beach Florida mansion as the headquarters so he can avoid property taxes? His family is the board and they frequent the Florida mansion to have "foundation board meetings". You might remember this place as the location where one of Ted's nephews was accused of raping a young lady after a night of heavy drinking with "uncle Ted".

ponezone said:
..i hear ya savage paw.

I find it so interesting just how many people I encounter who vote/think/preach under one political philosophy... and yet live contrary to their political beliefs. Perfect examples of this are Teddy Kennedy and John Kerry. I frequently encounter this in my own community too. Think how many "movie type" people who scream about environmental issues... and yet have many homes (using THEIR unfair share of natural resources) and large cars (S.U.V.'s... god forbid!) and some even have their own airplanes. Just think about the amount of natural resources that someone like Barbara Streisand consumes... and yet she preaches on her website that: the masses should turn down their thermostats and sell their suv's. What hypocrosy.

And... remember when Rosie O'Donnell was caught with an unregistered gun..... after preaching ad nausem about gun control and registration?

Or when the Earth First president in Seattle area was in trouble for cutting trees down on his property?

And what movie star was it that got in trouble for bulldozing a stretch of beach in front of their property to build a boat dock... and they destroyed some wierd fish/bird-egg-laying area unique to the island they were on?

Or when Ted Kennedy forms a family foundation and places his Palm Beach Florida mansion as the headquarters so he can avoid property taxes? His family is the board and they frequent the Florida mansion to have "foundation board meetings". You might remember this place as the location where one of Ted's nephews was accused of raping a young lady after a night of heavy drinking with "uncle Ted".

To be fair, political hypocrisy isn't exactly one sided. There are plenty of examples of that from either side of the fence. Like guys that run as fiscal conservatives and then proceed to help run up large deficits once elected. Guys that run on a platform that includes term limits but then change their mind once elected.

Wasn't it Twain that said that the only distinctly American criminal class is members of congress? They're all a bunch of forked-tongued whores that talk out of both sides of their mouthes and sell our money (tax revenue) to the highest bidder.

Back