• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Opinions on Hurry Up ...

BWahlberg said:
hilinegrizfan said:
It came up in another thread and I thought maybe it deserved its own conversation...

Is there a point in a game when we should slow it down? I understand it is our bread and butter, but up by 2 TD's in the 3rd quarter with 2 minutes left... should we try running some time off the clock, close out the 3rd with a 2 TD lead? Or keep attacking with the hurry up? At what point do you adjust your offensive strategy in regards to the lead you have, and to give your D a break? I understand there was still a lot of football left, but maybe having the ball and up by 2 TD's to start the 4th could have a positive impact... I'd like to hear your thoughts.

EWU pretty successfully wrecked us with a hurry up in the 2nd half.

It's about execution IMO.

Different game I know but in the 3rd quarter UND was trying to mount a comeback and scored with 3:22 on the clock to close within 14 points, MSU answered with a 14 play drive that took 7:27 off the clock, it broke their will and their next drive was a 3 and out, after that their coach sent in the backups. God forgive me for saying it but it looked a lot like bobby ball.

I don't think the hurry up offenses have the tools to close out a game like that, they have to keep shooting until the clock runs out.

And yes I fully understand that a game between 2 teams that want to run as many plays as possible is going to look a lot different than a game between 2 teams that want to run the ball and shorten the game. My point is that some offenses are conceding their ability to close out a game with a lead.

On the same thread does anybody remember NDSU's 9 minute drive in the 4th quarter to beat Kansas St, it was a thing of beauty.

Texas A&M would have loved the ability to have a 7 minute drive on opening weekend against UCLA...that game reminded me a LOT of this one...

As mentioned above Stitt got out-Stitted by EWU he should learn how to control pace of the game with fake injuries like EWU works it to perfection. UM should take it to the next level fake injuries on offense when Stitt needs a little one on one time with Gresh.
Defenders can take a dive any time they're thirsty or winded. Defense can make sure they are getting set that way and all players are getting the right calls.
Good coaches copy what works and fake injuries were well played by EWU defense. This could eliminate the need to burn timeouts that come in handy at the end of games.

Situational tempo is what is needed. McVay has implemented it with the Rams. After a big conversion or chunk play he will go uptempo, but will slow it down within a possession or set of downs if for instance they get a negative play or are behind schedule on the chains.

I don't have a problem with it, but when you are ahead, You need to run some time.

Even 4 minutes is a big deal

tnt said:
Heres what I want to know, If the defense is "tiring out" why isn't the Offense they are facing doing the same? Couldn't the issue be one of depth and inability to "substitute" Changing the offensive scheme doesn't seem to make sense, not when it working (40+ points is working usually)

Call it strange but is there is a possibility that Stitt wanted to run up the score and make a statement?

IMHO, the turning point in the game was Gubrud's 24-yd scramble for a first down on third and long during the first drive of the second half. Stop that play, and the Griz had a chance to start putting the game away. A long TD drive at that point, following the Hail Mary at the end of the first half, could have shredded EWU's confidence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we are reliant upon the hurry up offense. I think we need to have a deeper defense if we are going to play hurry up offense. We either score fast or it's 3 and out in 30 seconds or atleast it seems. Or we need to implement another offensive scheme for when we do get a big lead to start draining the clock. Maybe once we get a 2 or 3 td lead we go to more of a slower paced smash mouth style of play. But do we have the offensive players to do that? I wish had a big punishing fullback like Jamal Wilson so we could implement that. I like our fast paced offense but it's hard to balance it with the time of possession game. It just seems like a lot of teams that have the hurry up offense seem to give up a lot of points on defense. Not sure what the solution is just my opinion.

mtgriz said:
Situational tempo is what is needed. McVay has implemented it with the Rams. After a big conversion or chunk play he will go uptempo, but will slow it down within a possession or set of downs if for instance they get a negative play or are behind schedule on the chains.

Absolutely correct, watch ewooo do exactly that with great effect.

Latest posts

Back