• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

No. 1 small city for young people

I would rather have the tent cities in Missoula than the pop-up trailer parks in Bozo. Have you seen those? Yuck.

The whole town is a “sh-thole” of course but there are these really weird lines of parked camping trailers on streets. You’ll be driving around, see a ton of RVs and campers in a row on some rando street, and some hill billy barbecuing and looking like he’s out camping right in the middle of your neighborhood.

With the tents, at least you know what to expect, who, and where. What’s the worst they can do in a tent?

But the nomad gypsies in Bozo are a different breed altogether. Like carnies when the show is over and they got no place to go.

This is not a liberal problem. I travel frequently and have seen it everywhere. Some cities hide it better. Take the General Jackson riverboat tour in Nashville. The shores of the river are full of homeless encampments. Walk down Broadway in Nashville and you hear country music on the first floor, dance clubs on the upper floor, bachelorette parties everywhere and drunk tourists throwing up on the sidewalks. You won't see the homeless there. I live in Great Falls, and drive down any avenue between 2nd avenue north and 2nd avenue south between 15th street and the civic center. You will see it. My wife has to walk from her work to a bank every day for a deposit. She feels like there is a toll on every block with people asking for a dollar on every block. Great Falls is a red community now.

It is a societal problem that is everywhere. I don't know the answer, but I know that throwing out liberal and conservative talking points do nothing to solve the problem. I believe there is an educational component, a parenting component, a health care coverage component, a substance abuse component, and a mental illness component. We used to house people in warm springs or in prison. That is too costly. Community based mental health services can only touch the surface of what is going on. I have worked in the medical field for over 30 years and I have many undiagnosed and untreated mental health patients in my physical therapy practice. Patients self treat with alcohol or drugs. Some patients are very aware of their issues and can only make so much money otherwise they can't get their mental health care because they would lose medicaid. Their mental health issues also limit them from advancing to positions that provide benefits.

Again, a very complicated problem that would require people from both sides of the aisle to drop their talking points and actually work together to invest in a solution. I don't know all the answers. In fact, I don't even know where to start. Affordable housing, accessibility to basic services, mental health care? I don't know.

There are also people who want to live off the radar. Bipolar people will go off meds when they feel better. Some people don't want help and are fine living the untethered life. How do you solve a problem when the problem doesn't think it's a problem?

Unfortunately, I don't see it improving. I know people living in campers in small towns in Montana as well.

Corrected to the oregon state governor.
https://www.yahoo.com/now/oregon-governor-signs-bill-ending-154100667.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

EverettGriz said:
UncleRico said:
'Governor of Washington signed a law that teaching STEM courses are racist and not necessary any more."

That is completely made up.

I am constantly amazed people not only believe poop like this, but then actually repeat it.

But going back to the original post. I still love a weekend in Missoula. Especially game weekends. I love the caliber of acts the Kettlehouse is bringing in. I love being able to have a meal downtown, take the shuttle to Bonner, catch a great show, have some drinks, take the shuttle back, have a night cap and walk to my hotel. I will stay downtown on occasion and walk the river to WaGriz for the game. I love Missoula. I see the homeless people. I see it more on east broadway where the shelter is, but I lived off North Orange in the early 90's and saw at the Povarello center as I rode my bike to school then. I know there are more, but Missoula is bigger than then as well.

I don't ever feel threatened, but I also try to avoid certain situations at certain times. I am not discounting anyone else's experience, but it is no different that what I see in downtown Great Falls. In fact, after happy hour, I pretty much get out of downtown Great Falls.

armonte said:
https://www.yahoo.com/now/oregon-governor-signs-bill-ending-154100667.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr

EverettGriz said:
I am constantly amazed people not only believe poop like this, but then actually repeat it.
So you turned

"Governor suspends testing requirements for high school graduation for 3 years"

into

"Governor signed a law that teaching STEM courses are racist and not necessary any more."

Solid work.

armonte said:

EverettGriz said:

I read it, but don't see anything about STEM being either racist or unnecessary.

grizatwork said:
But going back to the original post. I still love a weekend in Missoula. Especially game weekends. I love the caliber of acts the Kettlehouse is bringing in. I love being able to have a meal downtown, take the shuttle to Bonner, catch a great show, have some drinks, take the shuttle back, have a night cap and walk to my hotel. I will stay downtown on occasion and walk the river to WaGriz for the game. I love Missoula. I see the homeless people. I see it more on east broadway where the shelter is, but I lived off North Orange in the early 90's and saw at the Povarello center as I rode my bike to school then. I know there are more, but Missoula is bigger than then as well.

I don't ever feel threatened, but I also try to avoid certain situations at certain times. I am not discounting anyone else's experience, but it is no different that what I see in downtown Great Falls. In fact, after happy hour, I pretty much get out of downtown Great Falls.

Great post. The Kettlehouse is just a fantastic venue. I have lived in different parts of Montana and I think when you consider the entertainment opportunities, dining options and the rivers it is by far the best town in the state to live. I feel for the homeless folks and it is an issue that is complex and should become a priority for our state and nation. But if folks are just suddenly ready to lay blame where was their concern when this has been an issue in Billings for like 30 years?

grizatwork said:
This is not a liberal problem. I travel frequently and have seen it everywhere. Some cities hide it better. Take the General Jackson riverboat tour in Nashville. The shores of the river are full of homeless encampments. Walk down Broadway in Nashville and you hear country music on the first floor, dance clubs on the upper floor, bachelorette parties everywhere and drunk tourists throwing up on the sidewalks. You won't see the homeless there. I live in Great Falls, and drive down any avenue between 2nd avenue north and 2nd avenue south between 15th street and the civic center. You will see it. My wife has to walk from her work to a bank every day for a deposit. She feels like there is a toll on every block with people asking for a dollar on every block. Great Falls is a red community now.

It is a societal problem that is everywhere. I don't know the answer, but I know that throwing out liberal and conservative talking points do nothing to solve the problem. I believe there is an educational compohttps://www.discogs.com/nent, a parenting component, a health care coverage component, a substance abuse component, and a mental illness component. We used to house people in warm springs or in prison. That is too costly. Community based mental health services can only touch the surface of what is going on. I have worked in the medical field for over 30 years and I have many undiagnosed and untreated mental health patients in my physical therapy practice. Patients self treat with alcohol or drugs. Some patients are very aware of their issues and can only make so much money otherwise they can't get their mental health care because they would lose medicaid. Their mental health issues also limit them from advancing to positions that provide benefits.

Again, a very complicated problem that would require people from both sides of the aisle to drop their talking points and actually work together to invest in a solution. I don't know all the answers. In fact, I don't even know where to start. Affordable housing, accessibility to basic services, mental health care? I don't know.

There are also people who want to live off the radar. Bipolar people will go off meds when they feel better. Some people don't want help and are fine living the untethered life. How do you solve a problem when the problem doesn't think it's a problem?

Unfortunately, I don't see it improving. I know people living in campers in small towns in Montana as well.
We, too, love the games in Missoula. Used to eat and stay after the games. Tired of the hassles, crowds and prices and am glad to get out of town. We stay in Anaconda which works out great. Ghost town, happy to have the business, reasonable rates. Great motel and some good restaurants. Then a shorter drive home Sunday.

MikeyGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
How does that compare to a livable wage?

Minimum wage jobs should not pay a livable wage. They are more of a pathway to getting the necessary skills for a livable wage position. They are by definition an entry level position.

Quote from FDR on the establishment of the minimum wage:

In my Inaugural, I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages, I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living. Throughout industry, the change from starvation wages and starvation employment to living wages and sustained employment can, in large part, be made by an industrial covenant to which all employers shall subscribe.

grizatwork said:

Yeah Central can get a little weird after dark. One time I saw a guy wearing only a diaper and a bra hanging out by That Bar.

But I will maintain that Club Cigar might be the best bar in Montana since we lost the old M&M.

armonte said:

EverettGriz said:

Yeah, I don't think that article states what you claimed it did.

EverettGriz said:
armonte said:

Yeah, I don't think that article states what you claimed it did.

Yeah not remotely.

It’s okay though, I’m sure he read something that supports that belief on an 8-Chan forum.

grizatwork said:

It is a societal problem that is everywhere. I don't know the answer, but I know that throwing out liberal and conservative talking points do nothing to solve the problem. I believe there is an educational component, a parenting component, a health care coverage component, a substance abuse component, and a mental illness component. We used to house people in warm springs or in prison. That is too costly. Community based mental health services can only touch the surface of what is going on. I have worked in the medical field for over 30 years and I have many undiagnosed and untreated mental health patients in my physical therapy practice. Patients self treat with alcohol or drugs. Some patients are very aware of their issues and can only make so much money otherwise they can't get their mental health care because they would lose medicaid. Their mental health issues also limit them from advancing to positions that provide benefits.

Totally agree with what you said. Here, in South Carolina, the place is booming with construction everywhere and factories opening but we still have a large homeless problem with large numbers of substance abuse. But, it is a deep red state, in spite of massive poverty and poor schools, so there is little social safety nets for assistance to those in dire need. But, what has replaced that is the active church groups. In the nearest larger city to me in the Midlands, at least 7 churches offer food, some of which is freshly baked. The cypress swamps offer a place to sleep when its warm. Churches and volunteers try to pick up the slack. It's easier to just give a bus ticket to Atlanta or California and pass the problem to them. Sad situation....

kemajic said:
grizatwork said:

It is a societal problem that is everywhere. I don't know the answer, but I know that throwing out liberal and conservative talking points do nothing to solve the problem. I believe there is an educational compohttps://www.discogs.com/nent, a parenting component, a health care coverage component, a substance abuse component, and a mental illness component. We used to house people in warm springs or in prison. That is too costly. Community based mental health services can only touch the surface of what is going on. I have worked in the medical field for over 30 years and I have many undiagnosed and untreated mental health patients in my physical therapy practice. Patients self treat with alcohol or drugs. Some patients are very aware of their issues and can only make so much money otherwise they can't get their mental health care because they would lose medicaid. Their mental health issues also limit them from advancing to positions that provide benefits.

We, too, love the games in Missoula. Used to eat and stay after the games. Tired of the hassles, crowds and prices and am glad to get out of town. We stay in Anaconda which works out great. Ghost town, happy to have the business, reasonable rates. Great motel and some good restaurants. Then a shorter drive home Sunday.

hard to beat breakfast at Donavans.

armonte said:
When you have lefty loonies in power look forward to Portland, Seattle, San Francisco. for that manner just include blue states. Governor of (Washington was wrong} Oregon signed a law that teaching STEM courses are racist and not necessary any more.

grizondarez said:
Yes the junkies always been here but it is 20 times worse than 2003. I worked downtown back 2000-2003. It was great. Moved to Bozeman for work until 2018 and came back. It is nothing like it used to be. Most everyone i know has moved to the Bitteroot or to Frenchtown because of the tents, crime and the high taxes. The river trail is like the walking dead zombie show.

Local politics aren’t to blame. There was a regional court decision that’s currently in appeal that is responsible for the cities inability to remove tent cities. Basically the law states that unless there are enough homeless shelter beds for each and every homes person you cannot legally forcibly move a single person from those tent cities. It’s the same rule in right wing Montana towns as left wing towns

uptopgriz said:
Why is this thread here? It has noting to do with Griz football.

The desirability of Missoula for young people and players has alot to do with Griz football.

You have nothing to do with Griz football.

Back