• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New recruit

citay said:
maroonandsilver said:
citay said:
I have one firm rule in life, borne out so often I'm absolutely convinced of it: You always get a second chance. Not with Naseem, obviously, but with that scholarship. Just watch.

And what scholarship is that? We have 15 guys on the current roster. Only 13 scholarships are given.
Spoja and Jones are walk-ons. We lose only Kryslovic after the 2017-18 season. His scholarship is going to Mack Anderson. Who else is on the current roster is non-scholarship, or who is leaving in order to free up a scholarship?

Good question. I was wondering that myself. This staff is great for getting on players early. I'm sure that was the case with Gaskin, whereas my impression is that Mack Anderson was a late-blooming, last-minute surprise that suddenly landed in our laps. Odd situation, so I'm not sure what they had in mind, had Gaskin committed.

Still, somewhere, somehow, the Gaskin scholarship is one that will go somewhere else, eventually. Given this staff's ability to recruit, I'm sure we're gonna get a good player in his stead.

Unfortunately, we lost out for Gaskin. As for scholarships, with Anderson committing, the scholarships for 2018 are full. However, DeCuire is very wise. He still recruits to get talent in. He prepares the program for defection (nobody I am aware of on the current roster), and if a player is not doing enough to keep a scholarship, he will pull a scholarship or 2. DeCuire utilizes scholarships as they are, a 1 year deal. It may be harsh, to some. However, it does give motivation for walk ons to work harder, and for current scholarshipped players to work hard to keep them. Those who won't or can't, see you!

Pretty cool article. Will be fun to see him play here in Missoula.

He plays in Missoula:
Friday, Dec 15 at 730 vs Hellgate and future Griz recruit Rollie Worster.
Thursday, Dec 21 at 615 vs Sentinal

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FrankGogola/status/928474706247864320[/tweet]

Remember this. We are now in the fourth year of the DeCuire regime, but the FIRST year that we have a big not recruited by Wayne Tinkle. First year it was Breunig and a young freshman, Krslovic, and since then it has only been Krslovic, now a senior. Granted we had some bad luck with Alphonso Anderson, but for all of us who have been asking, "Where are the bigs?," that plea has now been answered, emphatically. Not only Akoh, the impressive Nicholas and the up-and-coming Kramer, but Mack Anderson in the wings. Imagine a front line in a couple of years of Kramer, Nicholas and Anderson.

This is the cavalry we've been waiting for. This is when Griz basketball really gets fun.

:thumb:
citay said:
Remember this. We are now in the fourth year of the DeCuire regime, but the FIRST year that we have a big not recruited by Wayne Tinkle. First year it was Breunig and a young freshman, Krslovic, and since then it has only been Krslovic, now a senior. Granted we had some bad luck with Alphonso Anderson, but for all of us who have been asking, "Where are the bigs?," that plea has now been answered, emphatically. Not only Akoh, the impressive Nicholas and the up-and-coming Kramer, but Mack Anderson in the wings. Imagine a front line in a couple of years of Kramer, Nicholas and Anderson.

This is the cavalry we've been waiting for. This is when Griz basketball really gets fun.
I'm thinking the fun will start soon. This team faces a formidable schedule, but have a sliver of a chance to be close in two of the games. Any breakthrough would be a great signature for this program at this point.

Mack is having a great year. Bozeman has only lost one game and he has been a dominant force.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KyleABCFOXMT/status/950943635498975232[/tweet]

flatheadgriz406 said:
Mack is having a great year. Bozeman has only lost one game and he has been a dominant force.

26 and 23?! That's f@cking nuts!

Don't forget Besovic. I know he's only had mop-up duty to this point, but he may turn out to be a diamond-in-the-rough. Or maybe not. We shall see.

AllWeatherFan said:
Don't forget Besovic. I know he's only had mop-up duty to this point, but he may turn out to be a diamond-in-the-rough. Or maybe not. We shall see.

I hope you're right. And you certainly can't teach height. But it seems the game of basketball is moving away from big slow post players, toward the more fast-paced, open-court, three-point style of game. Used to be Besovic was your prototypical post player, but then these seven-footers started coming in from Europe who could not only run, but handle and drain threes. I probably am more excited about Kelby Kramer, though it's rare to have seven-footer in the Big Sky with Besovic's low-post skills.

There: I totally contradicted myself.

citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I hope you're right. And you certainly can't teach height. But it seems the game of basketball is moving away from big slow post players, toward the more fast-paced, open-court, three-point style of game. Used to be Besovic was your prototypical post player, but then these seven-footers started coming in from Europe who could not only run, but handle and drain threes. I probably am more excited about Kelby Kramer, though it's rare to have seven-footer in the Big Sky with Besovic's low-post skills.

That's ok, I want it all too.

PeauxRouge said:
flatheadgriz406 said:

26 and 23?! That's f@cking nuts!

Watched him vs. Sentinel a couple weeks ago. He does look big and athletic. Didn't handle the ball or take any shots outside so played as a pure post player...which is what he should be at HS level. Bozeman team appeared to over rely on him to make anything happen on offense and Sentinel did decent job keeping him under wraps enough to win the game.

My take.....he could develop and help the Griz but not going to be a star at the D1 level. Reminded me of Gavin Dejong (sp?) from Manhattan who appeared similarly strong and athletic but left team last year after limited PT over two years. Samuelson had more basketball skills but not as athletic as either Dejong or Anderson.

citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Was it my imagination, or did Besovic shoot a three-ball late in the game against UND?

AllWeatherFan said:
citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Was it my imagination, or did Besovic shoot a three-ball late in the game against UND?
'Twas your imagination. He got a "3" the conventional way - pretty sure he got an offensive rebound and got fouled on the made put-back. That bucket got the Griz to 100. He made the free-throw to put the Griz at 101. Next scores were back to back made 3's by Lars Espe and Trevor Spoja.

Back