• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McDowell back in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the coaching staff knew that Cliff's relationship with the team had changed. For example, maybe the staff made it crystal clear that the QB position was open for competition--I know, I know, positions are always open for competition on BH's teams--and Cliff didn't like that and said he was going to move on. If that's the case, the Montana staff has no incentive to bring him back, as he's already said (and shown, by hitting the portal) that he didn't want to compete for the job again. Why bring someone back who's just going to be a disgruntled player?

Don't know the facts here, just guessing at a plausible set of circumstances.

Hope he's able to latch on somewhere he likes...not sure what about UM he didn't like, and can't fathom what that could be other than what I've surmised above. We'll probably never know.
Good post. Think you nailed it.

Maybe the coaching staff knew that Cliff's relationship with the team had changed. For example, maybe the staff made it crystal clear that the QB position was open for competition--I know, I know, positions are always open for competition on BH's teams--and Cliff didn't like that and said he was going to move on. If that's the case, the Montana staff has no incentive to bring him back, as he's already said (and shown, by hitting the portal) that he didn't want to compete for the job again. Why bring someone back who's just going to be a disgruntled player?

Don't know the facts here, just guessing at a plausible set of circumstances.

Hope he's able to latch on somewhere he likes...not sure what about UM he didn't like, and can't fathom what that could be other than what I've surmised above. We'll probably never know.
You are probably right. I also think you have to factor in the serpents behind the scenes whispering in his or his families ear. $$$ and we can get you a nice NIL deal. I don’t know his family circumstances, but some of these kids and their parents haven’t had much in life. The prospect of $$’s can impact logic.

You are probably right. I also think you have to factor in the serpents behind the scenes whispering in his or his families ear. $$$ and we can get you a nice NIL deal. I don’t know his family circumstances, but some of these kids and their parents haven’t had much in life. The prospect of $$’s can impact logic.
Is wouldn’t discount the athlete’s desire to play at a higher level. It’s not everybody’s dream to play FCS FB in Missoula. I’m not sure that any Griz fan should be saying negative things about his decisions. Without Clif, we wouldn’t have been able to experience beautiful suburban Dallas.

Last comment on this from me. Could be because of how many times he has transferred, there is some issue with credits transferring/not transferring to Temple.

Yeah, that definitely could have factored into it, as well as the desire to play at a higher level, as noted by CDA. Not for us to know, apparently. Doesn't really matter, in the long run.

Why would a grad transfer care about credits?
I may be a bit over my ski's, but if you are a grad transfer, I believe you still need to enroll into a grad program at the school you are going to. I'm not implying anything and just guessing, but you need to apply to get into grad school based on previous degrees/credits. Could be that he applied for grad school program and didn't get accepted.

Probably not even a close to correct guess by me and I probably would have been better off not speculating at all.

I may be a bit over my ski's, but if you are a grad transfer, I believe you still need to enroll into a grad program at the school you are going to. I'm not implying anything and just guessing, but you need to apply to get into grad school based on previous degrees/credits. Could be that he applied for grad school program and didn't get accepted.

Probably not even a close to correct guess by me and I probably would have been better off not speculating at all.
You are good. We are all trying to figure this out. What you said about grad transfers looks right to me.

Temple is on semesters, so in order for McDowell to participate in spring ball, which he did at least for awhile, he would have had to be enrolled in mid-January. To get enrolled, I assume he would have had to be accepted in some program.

You are good. We are all trying to figure this out. What you said about grad transfers looks right to me.

Temple is on semesters, so in order for McDowell to participate in spring ball, which he did at least for awhile, he would have had to be enrolled in mid-January. To get enrolled, I assume he would have had to be accepted in some program.
Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. This whole thing just feels weird (maybe even bordering on the legendary status of Kessman and Tate Forcier!). I doubt we'll ever know the full story. I don't wish anything ill towards the young man, but this is a fascinating story to follow on the portal from afar.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. This whole thing just feels weird (maybe even bordering on the legendary status of Kessman and Tate Forcier!). I doubt we'll ever know the full story. I don't wish anything ill towards the young man, but this is a fascinating story to follow on the portal from afar.
Agreed. Wish he had just stayed. For him. This must be awful for him.

I'm still staying partial to the theory that Temple told him they couldn't get him eligibility. It was noted locally in Temple circles as a surprise that he wasn't out there for the practice the Saturday before he entered the portal. The Griz also have a recent history of working the system to get some waivers that were considered a long shot. (Walker was even moved back home to Nebraska when he found out he had another year). Temple's staff may be FBS, but they are probably less funded and is definitely less experienced than our athletic/coaching staff. As with any governing body, there are a litany of by-laws, rules, procedures, and best practices that a talented person can find loopholes in. My impression is that we have a strong understanding around that right now.

Everything out of the reporting I read sounded like he was competing well for the starting spot. He ripped off a 40 yard TD run the day or so before he left the team, and it sounds like his passing was a very pleasant surprise. It seems like a very sudden change. It is my strong suspicion that people on their athletic staff grabbed him and said "hey, we don't know what the people from the U of Montana told you, but we can't figure out a way to get you a waiver," simply because they don't have the ability to get him one that our staff knew they could finagle.

Didn't he enter the portal right about the time of spring semester midterms? Just spit balling here, you know, WOMWAC. (That's a Bob Seger reference to the guys playing in Campus Rec who appropriated it in the late 70's).

Colter just said on the radio he is hearing cliff may be coming back, sounds like one source he has

Just saying what I heard via the radio

I'm still staying partial to the theory that Temple told him they couldn't get him eligibility. It was noted locally in Temple circles as a surprise that he wasn't out there for the practice the Saturday before he entered the portal. The Griz also have a recent history of working the system to get some waivers that were considered a long shot. (Walker was even moved back home to Nebraska when he found out he had another year). Temple's staff may be FBS, but they are probably less funded and is definitely less experienced than our athletic/coaching staff. As with any governing body, there are a litany of by-laws, rules, procedures, and best practices that a talented person can find loopholes in. My impression is that we have a strong understanding around that right now.

Everything out of the reporting I read sounded like he was competing well for the starting spot. He ripped off a 40 yard TD run the day or so before he left the team, and it sounds like his passing was a very pleasant surprise. It seems like a very sudden change. It is my strong suspicion that people on their athletic staff grabbed him and said "hey, we don't know what the people from the U of Montana told you, but we can't figure out a way to get you a waiver," simply because they don't have the ability to get him one that our staff knew they could finagle.
Not sure why UM staff would have been looking at a waiver for McDowell, if that’s what you were saying.

Colter just said on the radio he is hearing cliff may be coming back, sounds like one source he has

Personally I hope he doesn't. Don't get me wrong, he sparked our offense and improved as the year went along and I wish him nothing but the best. However leaving the team, his comments about FCS, committing and even practicing for another and then coming back I feel sets a bad precedence, especially if he left because he didn't want to compete for the starting job.

Personally I hope he doesn't. Don't get me wrong, he sparked our offense and improved as the year went along and I wish him nothing but the best. However leaving the team, his comments about FCS, committing and even practicing for another and then coming back I feel sets a bad precedence, especially if he left because he didn't want to compete for the starting job.
Fully agree and am 100 percent with moving

Just wanted to report what I heard on the radio and stir up this subject a bit more

I would be very surprised if this happened. I will eat my words if it does, but the likelihood is less than 1%. Weirder things have happened though…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back