• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Main Hall Prospect

PlayerRep said:
GrizGuy said:
Sorry, but although I'm impressed by the general accomplishments of the finalists, I'm not a big fan of any of the candidates as leaders of UM. Mr. Bodner in particular, since you point him out, strikes me as an odd finalist. Leading as he has in the military is not at all the same as leading a public institution like a university. And the shift from his private-sector job to prez of UM seems like too big of a jump to expect him to have success for a great deal of time.. And I think the U needs some immediate, hit-the-ground-running success in enrollment and student satisfaction. He seems like a great guy. I'd love to hear some of his stories while sipping a beer with him. Great guy. But leader of this school at this time? I just don't see it.

If they pick him, naturally, I will wish him all the success in the world because the school deserves it.

How do you know what leading in the military is like? It's just barking out orders anymore.

Finances, enrollment, student satisfaction are things that Bodnar would likely be good at immediately. Plus, he's a tech guy.

UM sorely needs someone who can read a financial statement, read and understand numbers, spot trends, attract the right leaders and people under him, make good decisions, create workable metrics. Bodnar would also be good at dealing with the athletic department. Probably the board of regents and state legislature too.

I find it interesting that some of you believe that academics, with only academic experience, are the only ones to do this. My view is that most academics are terrible at doing most of this. Not all; just most. Jeez, look at RE.

Bodnar was no. 1 in his class at West Point, both on the academic and non-academic side. A Rhodes Scholar. His wife is a Rhodes Scholar.

And Bodnar's wife is from Missoula and her dad is a UM professor. He's been to Griz games. What more could people on egriz want. Ha.

Whatever, dude. I don't know what your point was other than to attempt to pick a fight, but I'm not biting. I had zero insight to his family until after the Missoulian article last week. So, now it makes sense why he applied. From this distance, it "felt" like just some random guy making a resume move that seemed out of step with his career path.

I don't think it's far fetch to wonder how the leadership of troops in battle is wildly different from leadership at a public institution. And if you think it's out of bounds to even ask that, then I can't help you.

After reading the Missoulian story last week, it made a lot more sense. Like I have ALWAYS said, in SM and here, I hope whomever they pick is successful. And in this case it's Bodnar. I wish him all the luck in the world - our university would seem to need it.

GrizGuy said:
PlayerRep said:
GrizGuy said:
Sorry, but although I'm impressed by the general accomplishments of the finalists, I'm not a big fan of any of the candidates as leaders of UM. Mr. Bodner in particular, since you point him out, strikes me as an odd finalist. Leading as he has in the military is not at all the same as leading a public institution like a university. And the shift from his private-sector job to prez of UM seems like too big of a jump to expect him to have success for a great deal of time.. And I think the U needs some immediate, hit-the-ground-running success in enrollment and student satisfaction. He seems like a great guy. I'd love to hear some of his stories while sipping a beer with him. Great guy. But leader of this school at this time? I just don't see it.

If they pick him, naturally, I will wish him all the success in the world because the school deserves it.

How do you know what leading in the military is like? It's not just barking out orders anymore.

Finances, enrollment, student satisfaction are things that Bodnar would likely be good at immediately. Plus, he's a tech guy.

UM sorely needs someone who can read a financial statement, read and understand numbers, spot trends, attract the right leaders and people under him, make good decisions, create workable metrics. Bodnar would also be good at dealing with the athletic department. Probably the board of regents and state legislature too.

I find it interesting that some of you believe that academics, with only academic experience, are the only ones to do this. My view is that most academics are terrible at doing most of this. Not all; just most. Jeez, look at RE.

Bodnar was no. 1 in his class at West Point, both on the academic and non-academic side. A Rhodes Scholar. His wife is a Rhodes Scholar.

And Bodnar's wife is from Missoula and her dad is a UM professor. He's been to Griz games. What more could people on egriz want. Ha.

Whatever, dude. I don't know what your point was other than to attempt to pick a fight, but I'm not biting. I had zero insight to his family until after the Missoulian article last week. So, now it makes sense why he applied. From this distance, it "felt" like just some random guy making a resume move that seemed out of step with his career path.

I don't think it's far fetch to wonder how the leadership of troops in battle is wildly different from leadership at a public institution. And if you think it's out of bounds to even ask that, then I can't help you.

After reading the Missoulian story last week, it made a lot more sense. Like I have ALWAYS said, in SM and here, I hope whomever they pick is successful. And in this case it's Bodnar. I wish him all the luck in the world - our university would seem to need it.

Asking some questions and providing some information is not picking a fight. So, whatever dude to yourself.

PlayerRep said:
How do you know what leading in the military is like? It's just barking out orders anymore.

Did you miss a word in your reply? Because as a 21-year Naval Officer, I can assure you leading in the military is NOT just "barking out orders"...

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Did you miss a word in your reply? Because as a 21-year Naval Officer, I can assure you leading in the military is NOT just "barking out orders"...

No, see above. Actually, I go out of my way to leave out words, especially when it's still clear what the meaning is, so people who contribute nothing to the board except finding typos, have something to do.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

No, see above. Actually, I go out of my way to leave out words, especially when it's still clear what the meaning is, so people who contribute nothing to the board except finding typos, have something to do.
Well somebody has to keep you in line. :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

That would be my wife.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

That would be my wife.

What's her screen name?

PlayerRep" wrote:

How do you know? Have you played that game?

grizinmt said:
PlayerRep" wrote:

How do you know? Have you played that game?

No, I didn't write that. Go look at my post. You edited that. Ha.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Thank you for your service AZGrizFan! Blow hard sure wouldn't. You'd become a loser, idiot, dummy, or failure in life before he'd catch that you served our country for over 20 years!

Mousegriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Thank you for your service AZGrizFan! Blow hard sure wouldn't. You'd become a loser, idiot, dummy, or failure in life before he'd catch that you served our country for over 20 years!

At least, my son opted to be an Army Ranger, deploy to Iraq twice, fight door to door in some tough places like Fallujah before and during the Surge as well as in Sadr city, get a Purple Heart and then go to law school, as opposed to your bench warmer (your words, not mine) son. Maybe you should go back to looking for typos.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

At least, my son opted to be an Army Ranger, deploy to Iraq twice, fight door to door in some tough places like Fallujah before and during the Surge as well as in Sadr city, get a Purple Heart and then go to law school, as opposed to your bench warmer (your words, not mine) son. Maybe you should go back to looking for typos.

Thanks for your service to PR's son too!

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Here's a suggestion. Why don't you try to stop picking at me, then I will have nothing to respond to, and then we can spare the board some of the BS between us.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

Here's a suggestion. Why don't you try to stop picking at me, then I will have nothing to respond to, and then we can spare the board some of the BS between us.

I'm damn proud of my son. He's a scholarship college player, his team has made the national Elite 8 at their level the past two years, he's acknowledged by his coaches, fellow players and fans for his contribution to the "team" and its accomplishments. You should be damn proud of your son as well.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I'm damn proud of my son. He's a scholarship college player, his team has made the national Elite 8 at their level the past two years, he's acknowledged by his coaches, fellow players and fans for his contribution to the "team" and its accomplishments. You should be damn proud of your son as well.

And I am all for your son too. I just have limited material to pick at you. Truce.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

I think you're a little bit full of fiction.

In town for Homecoming. To the M he goes, run in the morning to benefit athletic department, hang out at the tailgates. Day/Night

I don't miss Royce, nor will I.

Back