• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

LadyGriz LSU Skips National Anthem Before Iowa Game

mthoopsfan

"Ahead of the highly anticipated women’s NCAA Elite Eight game between the University of Iowa Hawkeyes and the Louisiana State University Tigers, only Iowa was present on the court for the national anthem.

Video quickly circulated online showing the Lady Hawkeyes on the court holding hands as the song played, while LSU’s players spent the time in their locker room instead, according to a report."

"Chessa Bouche

@chessabouche

LSU is never on the court for the National Anthem"

"A local Baton Rouge reporter noted that LSU routinely skips the national anthem."

There is a federal law stating that standing at attention with hand over heart is the appropriate way to act when the national anthem is played. Very few of the Lady Griz did that.

There is a federal law stating that standing at attention with hand over heart is the appropriate way to act when the national anthem is played. Very few of the Lady Griz did that.
I can’t imagine there is a statute saying that.

FWIW, until 9/11 few teams were ever on the floor for the national anthem. Pretty much a Griz men’s tradition to go into the locker room at the 8 minute mark for the national anthem and then came out again with about 2 minutes remaining. Wasn’t a time down pre-team announcement process until recently for most NCAA teams.

In the risk of offending people, teams being out for the anthem is performative. If they want to be in the locker room, let them be in the locker room. It is a sport, not a legal or national imperative. Just play a game without all the stupid patriotic stuff. That would settle all the problems.

Moreover, if it was truly political, Kim Mulkey would NOT be the coach to make that statement. I’ll take it at her word that this is what they do.

FWIW, until 9/11 few teams were ever on the floor for the national anthem. Pretty much a Griz men’s tradition to go into the locker room at the 8 minute mark for the national anthem and then came out again with about 2 minutes remaining. Wasn’t a time down pre-team announcement process until recently for most NCAA teams.

In the risk of offending people, teams being out for the anthem is performative. If they want to be in the locker room, let them be in the locker room. It is a sport, not a legal or national imperative. Just play a game without all the stupid patriotic stuff. That would settle all the problems.

Moreover, if it was truly political, Kim Mulkey would NOT be the coach to make that statement. I’ll take it at her word that this is what they do.
To add another FWIW... There were multiple games at the Big Sky Conference (may more than half) that there was one or both teams not out for the national anthem.

I attended the women's tournament in Portland last weekend and found it a little odd that the national anthem was played at the 12-minute mark before tipoff as opposed to right before tip when it's usually played in regular season games. Many teams are normally in the locker room at this point before the game, so I think this "issue" is not an issue at all and has been massively overblown by people who are constantly on the lookout for something to be offended by.

The fact that this was even reported shows you that the media’s purpose is to stir up controversy where there isn’t none

Interesting how much more there is to the "story". I wonder if Iowa just happened to be on the court at the time, or went out of its way to be there. If the NA was really at 12 min before game, that's a horrible time for it if you want the teams there for it. Thanks for the info from various posters.

According to federal law, the appropriate protocol during the national anthem is to stand at attention with hand over heart. However, very few of the Lady Griz followed this guideline.

According to federal law, the appropriate protocol during the national anthem is to stand at attention with hand over heart. However, very few of the Lady Griz followed this guideline.
Bot just regurgitating what 717s7e said above???

Back