• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Last Chance U

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Most of these guys on the team have the talent to play higher than they are....what they lack is any social skills and taking direction or criticism.

They paint the picture like they had one issue at a previous school..it was a mistake they made once...but thats really not it. A majority of them were not going to make it no matter where they go because they have major societal and social issues. they were gonna fail wherever they went.

If you mean by societal issues "grade issues", I'd agree somewhat. I had a college HC tell me that " he could probably go to the LA County Jail and get 22 players that could beat most teams in the nation. But he'd have to keep them in school. That's the rub. Some JUCO talent may fall into that category. Grades don't come out until the end of the semester/season so many players can show their wares before they might be ineligible....

UMGriz75 said:
Grizzly96 said:
While I have not coached the way you have, as I have previously stated, I have been around the game and have learned from many great coaches through the years. The greatest lesson I took from them was the discipline aspect of the game.
Well, OK, that's fair, but those were some mighty broad claims.

No claims, I answered your question.

CV Griz Fan said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Most of these guys on the team have the talent to play higher than they are....what they lack is any social skills and taking direction or criticism.

They paint the picture like they had one issue at a previous school..it was a mistake they made once...but thats really not it. A majority of them were not going to make it no matter where they go because they have major societal and social issues. they were gonna fail wherever they went.

If you mean by societal issues "grade issues", I'd agree somewhat. I had a college HC tell me that " he could probably go to the LA County Jail and get 22 players that could beat most teams in the nation. But he'd have to keep them in school. That's the rub. Some JUCO talent may fall into that category. Grades don't come out until the end of the semester/season so many players can show their wares before they might be ineligible....

I mean having mental issues that are going to hold them back in life.

UMGriz75 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
UMGriz75 said:
Grizzly96 said:
I think the current Griz have discipline. I have spoken to many players and they have the right mind set and want to show it on the field as much as we want them to.

If you are referring to off the field discipline, again, I believe the current Griz have as much if not more than any other college team filled with 18-22 year olds.
What is your experience with "any other collegiate team?" How many? What sports? In what capacity?

Hes on the Olympics committee
Odd that he left that part out. Or are you doing your usual, making stuff up? See below.

When are you going to BOLD my name in your signature??? I've told you I deserve credit and I'm afraid people wont know whop the mastermind behind the quote is.

Grizzly96 said:
UMGriz75 said:
Grizzly96 said:
While I have not coached the way you have, as I have previously stated, I have been around the game and have learned from many great coaches through the years. The greatest lesson I took from them was the discipline aspect of the game.
I'm trying to be polite here, but this is your "claim:"
If you are referring to off the field discipline, again, I believe the current Griz have as much if not more than any other college team filled with 18-22 year olds.
Given the sample size, that's quite a claim.

For starters, how do you examine and classify the "off field discipline" of several million intercollegiate athletes over ... how many years? I mean, good grief, one of the UM footballers just got in the news for a DUI. Recently it was felony charges for "breaking and entering" a garage under construction. We had a headline-making coverage of a "rape" trial of the QB. Another athlete pleaded guilty and got ten years for a non-violent "rape" in which the victim admitted she was conscious, did not protest, nor say "no."

Those are the things we "know" about, just here at UM. MSU has had murders and drug busts, involving even coaching staff. It is an uphill task for coaches to monitor and elevate the off-field behaviors of athletic young people, just reaching 18, 19 and 20 years old, and free of the constraints of home generally for the first time in their lives. Even extreme vigilance does not create "wise" judgments among young people away from home for the first time. But, you do the best you can.

UMGriz75 said:
Grizzly96 said:
UMGriz75 said:
Grizzly96 said:
I'm trying to be polite here, but this is your "claim:"
Given the sample size, that's quite a claim.

For starters, how do you examine and classify the "off field discipline" of several million intercollegiate athletes over ... how many years? I mean, good grief, one of the UM footballers just got in the news for a DUI. Recently it was felony charges for "breaking and entering" a garage under construction. We had a headline-making coverage of a "rape" trial of the QB. Another athlete pleaded guilty and got ten years for a non-violent "rape" in which the victim admitted she was conscious, did not protest, nor say "no."

Those are the things we "know" about, just here at UM. MSU has had murders and drug busts, involving even coaching staff. It is an uphill task for coaches to monitor and elevate the off-field behaviors of athletic young people, just reaching 18, 19 and 20 years old, and free of the constraints of home generally for the first time in their lives. Even extreme vigilance does not create "wise" judgments among young people away from home for the first time. But, you do the best you can.

Fair enough and very valid points, I see what you are saying. I thought you were referring to me answering your question about what experience I have with collegiate football. I agree completely with the uphill task these coaches have monitoring players.

Grizzly96 said:
blackfootipa said:
Just curious what thoughts are. I have been watching Last Chance U on Netflix with East Mississippi State Juco. These guys get transfers from the top programs in the nation and when you watch, you see how athletic, fast and physical some of these guys are.

Hypothetical question is, how would an FCS team like the Griz do against them? Would it look like the game against Mississippi Valley St. last year? A top JUCO team in the south with all of their SEC drop down transfers has to be a lot better then a lower tier FCS school right or no way?

I have watched a few episodes and I will say that it does not depict a true JUCO experience. Most JUCO's do not have all the fancy equipment and such that they do and the facilities are much worse. JUCO life and the struggle is real.....

As far as the talent question goes....absolutely they are as, if not more talented than a lot of FCS teams. What they lack compared to a team like the Griz is discipline, not talent. You have a group of players (JUCO) still trying to get a scholarship vs players that either have one or playing for a team they want to. What ends up happening is each player tries to get noticed and the team becomes secondary. That is why you see big swings in records from year to year. Coaches also change at JUCO quite often so consistency is lost there as well. Also, some, but not all by any means (plenty of great kids with good grades go to JUCO, take our recent JC transfers for example), are at a JUCO because they lacked the grades to qualify or dropped down due to some reason not football related.

You can see the talent all over the field ( I have watched many JUCO games), but the discipline is where I see the biggest difference.

Season 2, episode 6. The camera crew heads to a different community college in Clarksville, that really shows the resource disparity in that league. It's named "The Curse," and is probably one episode you might want to check out.

Watching the show, at the end you see where Arizona Western makes the JuCo National Championship. Looked up the box score since Chris Favoroso is coming from there. Was happy to see that he led Western AZ in tackles that game. That dude is going to be a beast.

Back