• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

ladies in Reno

Lady Griz battle Idaho State but Bengals advance
http://skylinesportsmt.com/lady-griz-battle-idaho-state-but-bengals-advance/

GrizLA said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
journal, they shot poorly all season. They were dead last in shooting and scoring in the conference. We will see how much better they shoot next season, but I would just hope for average.

You're correct. There's no guarantee at this point that their shooting will improve into the mid 40s (where a team needs to shoot to be a winner).

Nonetheless, I saw dramatic improvement in team floor play, defense and rebounding over the last 8-10 games. I believe they'll be competitive in the Big Sky next season. They were primarily a freshman team that had to play tough games as they learned how to play D1 ball. I believe they did pretty well and cite their win over Idaho State last Friday as proof. If they start next season using that game as a compass, I believe they'll be a top 4 Big Sky Conf. team next year.

I admire your optimism, but that is a low bar, indeed. This team was simply not good, judging from their record and this game. That they won as many games as they did, shows a lot of heart but......

Jeez, of course they are not good. They had 3 upperclassman on the team to start the year. Kayleigh Valley, the 6-2 pre-season conference player of the year blew out her knee the first week of practice, Alycia Sims 6-2 center / forward blew out her knee the 2nd or third game, Melcayla Isaak a 6-1 junior forward broke her hand / knuckle in December and missed about 6 weeks. Rachael Staudaucher who had elected to not play and focus on school came back in December to help but had to get in game shape. So basically not only are you playing with no upperclassman for a majority of the season you are also playing with no post players.

EverettGriz said:
Look!!! lala is spewing negativity about a Griz BB program. Why, that's completely different....

NEXT YEAR! All those freshmen will be sophomores with lots of game experience. Valley and Sims will be back, and hopefully 100%. Two highly thought-of freshman (Stiles and Anderson) will be on the team. It will be the year of redemption and revenge!

....and lala might "tune in" during the BSC Tourney with no idea how the season has gone. And will then make comments on e-Griz, but only if he has something negative to spew.

GrizLA said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
journal, they shot poorly all season. They were dead last in shooting and scoring in the conference. We will see how much better they shoot next season, but I would just hope for average.

You're correct. There's no guarantee at this point that their shooting will improve into the mid 40s (where a team needs to shoot to be a winner).

Nonetheless, I saw dramatic improvement in team floor play, defense and rebounding over the last 8-10 games. I believe they'll be competitive in the Big Sky next season. They were primarily a freshman team that had to play tough games as they learned how to play D1 ball. I believe they did pretty well and cite their win over Idaho State last Friday as proof. If they start next season using that game as a compass, I believe they'll be a top 4 Big Sky Conf. team next year.

I admire your optimism, but that is a low bar, indeed. This team was simply not good, judging from their record and this game. That they won as many games as they did, shows a lot of heart but......

I THINK I understand some of your references, GrizLA. If it's important to criticize a team composed almost entirely of freshmen, I'll go along with you and admit that this team wasn't very good for much of the year. By the last three weeks and, in particular, last weekend, however, they had demonstrated on-court ability to compete with most teams in the Big Sky. On a broader national level, that still doesn't place them on a par with a lot of west coast teams. For now, I say "so what?" But there's more to examine.

New Griz coach, Shannon Schweyen, took over this team last August... AFTER all incoming recruits had committed. Then, she had to hire a staff, one of whom came on board and left a week later for a better paying job. Calling her first-year job a challenge was an understatement. All that took place before her two returning senior starters went down.

I watched this team closely this year. This young group just STARTED to get an understanding of Schweyen's program (with the assistance of Eric Hays, Mike Petrino and Sonya Stokken) by late January. I personally think it's unfair to judge Schweyen's first year without acknowledging the transitional barriers. In essence, she's just now going into her first full year as a coach. This spring will be the first time she'll be able to look at her program and roster as actually her own program.

And this year will be her actual FIRST year to begin recruiting to her own program. So, the best signs of this team's future will start slowly shaping up sometime over the next 5 months. I'm following that with interest myself. What kind of players will be her first recruits? Will Hays stick around for another year? Will Schweyen start inserting her own unique schemes on offense and defense (Yes, because we've already seen numerous signs of that).

Robin Selvig was an outstanding coach, very unique in D1 basketball... especially over the past few years. I can't make any predictions, but I believe Schweyen will be making changes that will have an impact (I do NOT want this construed as criticism of Selvig) on this program. I think those changes will result in a Lady Griz style of game that'll be much faster paced. What I see so far I really like.

But, getting back to this "bad" team, as you put it. I am not setting the bar low. But I am emphasizing that this program where it stands today, and its coach, cannot really be judged for another 2-3 years. We may see some signs next year, but probably won't see the evolution of the Montana women's program under SS for another 2-3 years. Then we can discuss whether the bar set for Montana women's basketball is in need of being raised a few notches.

I think the Lady Griz will be a surprise next year. Watching Shannon in post game, no doubt if there ever was one on her investment to the team. This team was showing good signs by the end of the year.

They will NEVER dominate like they did for many years. I think the rest of the league has caught up to the Lady Griz, and just because they had injuries and youth this year, does not guarantee they will be a top 4 team next year. Other teams are recruiting just as well as Montana.

westsider said:
They will NEVER dominate like they did for many years. I think the rest of the league has caught up to the Lady Griz, and just because they had injuries and youth this year, does not guarantee they will be a top 4 team next year. Other teams are recruiting just as well as Montana.

Probably fairly truthful. But should anyone really expect them to ever regain that level of dominance? That run was ridiculous and success shouldn't be measured against it.

grizzlyjournal said:
GrizLA said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I THINK I understand some of your references, GrizLA. If it's important to criticize a team composed almost entirely of freshmen, I'll go along with you and admit that this team wasn't very good for much of the year. By the last three weeks and, in particular, last weekend, however, they had demonstrated on-court ability to compete with most teams in the Big Sky. On a broader national level, that still doesn't place them on a par with a lot of west coast teams. For now, I say "so what?" But there's more to examine.

New Griz coach, Shannon Schweyen, took over this team last August... AFTER all incoming recruits had committed. Then, she had to hire a staff, one of whom came on board and left a week later for a better paying job. Calling her first-year job a challenge was an understatement. All that took place before her two returning senior starters went down.

I watched this team closely this year. This young group just STARTED to get an understanding of Schweyen's program (with the assistance of Eric Hays, Mike Petrino and Sonya Stokken) by late January. I personally think it's unfair to judge Schweyen's first year without acknowledging the transitional barriers. In essence, she's just now going into her first full year as a coach. This spring will be the first time she'll be able to look at her program and roster as actually her own program.

And this year will be her actual FIRST year to begin recruiting to her own program. So, the best signs of this team's future will start slowly shaping up sometime over the next 5 months. I'm following that with interest myself. What kind of players will be her first recruits? Will Hays stick around for another year? Will Schweyen start inserting her own unique schemes on offense and defense (Yes, because we've already seen numerous signs of that).

Robin Selvig was an outstanding coach, very unique in D1 basketball... especially over the past few years. I can't make any predictions, but I believe Schweyen will be making changes that will have an impact (I do NOT want this construed as criticism of Selvig) on this program. I think those changes will result in a Lady Griz style of game that'll be much faster paced. What I see so far I really like.

But, getting back to this "bad" team, as you put it. I am not setting the bar low. But I am emphasizing that this program where it stands today, and its coach, cannot really be judged for another 2-3 years. We may see some signs next year, but probably won't see the evolution of the Montana women's program under SS for another 2-3 years. Then we can discuss whether the bar set for Montana women's basketball is in need of being raised a few notches.

Excellent summary and analysis Journal. :thumb: I for one believe the prognosis is quite promising and look forward to the next era of LG hoops.

grizzlyjournal said:
GrizLA said:
grizzlyjournal said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Thank you for your civility. Rare here. The "low bar" reference was directed to the Big Sky Conf. as a whole. Since I live in the middle of a VERY competitive young women's basketball area, I guess I was shocked at the different style of play, but, looking at the record of the Lady Griz the past few years, I think a new coach will turn it around. After all, I do give solid credit toward a team of UM's talent level of playing with everything they have.

maroonandsilver said:
EverettGriz said:
Look!!! lala is spewing negativity about a Griz BB program. Why, that's completely different....

NEXT YEAR! All those freshmen will be sophomores with lots of game experience. Valley and Sims will be back, and hopefully 100%. Two highly thought-of freshman (Stiles and Anderson) will be on the team. It will be the year of redemption and revenge!

....and lala might "tune in" during the BSC Tourney with no idea how the season has gone. And will then make comments on e-Griz, but only if he has something negative to spew.
Oh, I forgot, this is Egriz where UM is always absolutely the tops in everything and no improvement is needed and all must think alike. No negativity on this board, for sure. All I read from the same tired people is either move up, the Big Sky sucks, we are in a death spiral, etc.....yes, I will look in again next year. But, I don't get the part where such highly "supportive" fans were not sitting behind the women's team in Reno cheering them on over all odds.

This is an example of something I posted earlier: namely, that a site like this really requires a troupe of idiots to make it thrive. The ludicrous statements of posters like Lady Lala serve to arouse disgust and opposition and increase the number of posts in reaction to it. There are four true freshmen on this team, any no. of whom may have been redshirting this year. McKenzie Johnson has proven to be potentially a major talent at point guard and may end up rivaling some of our best. There’s very little drop off when Anderson comes in. Every one of the other young players has shown signs of developing talent. The minds of young players is always occupied by the need to constantly pay heed to the basics of a new system and to the adjustments necessary at a new level of play. When they’ve mastered those fundamentals, they become free to let their inner talents and instincts flow freely … otherwise known as “getting it,” and only when that begins to happen do you see what they can really do. These girls have shown some very strong signs of having had that begin to happen in the more recent games. Of course, that phenomenon isn’t considered by those with analytical skills so brilliant that they need only pop in for a glimpse of one of their worst, recent games to offer us their astute analysis. In addition, I think that given the amazing development of this team, we can be assured that in SS, we have lucked into a coach with the abilities to step into Robin Selvig’s shoes and that our great coaching tradition in this program will continue.

"GrizLA wrote:

Oh, I forgot, this is Egriz where UM is always absolutely the tops in everything and no improvement is needed and all must think alike. No negativity on this board, for sure. All I read from the same tired people is either move up, the Big Sky sucks, we are in a death spiral, etc.....yes, I will look in again next year. But, I don't get the part where such highly "supportive" fans were not sitting behind the women's team in Reno cheering them on over all odds.
[/quote]

The problem, La De Da, is that you're just not very good.

Hey LAGriz! If you think the Lady Griz should widen their recruiting area, improve their quickness and shooting ability, and aim for a goal more lofty than simply a Big Sky championship, come sit next to me!

GrizLA said:
maroonandsilver said:
EverettGriz said:

LA, with all due respect, you cannot find one person posting in the BB section claim that LG team doesn't need improvement. Hell, plenty of weaknesses and areas of opportunity have been outlined in this very thread.

The point is that while we can be objective in a negative manner but also recognize upside, you seem to consistently struggle with the latter.

EverettGriz said:
GrizLA said:
maroonandsilver said:
EverettGriz said:

LA, with all due respect, you cannot find one person posting in the BB section claim that LG team doesn't need improvement. Hell, plenty of weaknesses and areas of opportunity have been outlined in this very thread.

The point is that while we can be objective in a negative manner but also recognize upside, you seem to consistently struggle with the latter.

I'm on record on this board as being an optimist about the Lady Griz. Historically, I have praised Selvig not only for his coaching ability, but for recruiting many of the outstanding Native American players Montana has produced over the years. I pointed out early on this season that without their two senior bigs, this was essentially a freshman team. I think Shannon will prove to be an outstanding coach. Unquestionably, they will be much much better next year.

At the same time, I am on record (strongly, I might add) that the Ladies need to widen their recruiting base; that to have had only two African-American players in thirty years is an absurdity. The Bobs, as an example, have two African-American players on this year's roster, as well as an African-American coach. The idea that you can succeed at the highest levels of collegiate basketball playing only Caucasians went out in 1966, when that noted racist, Adolph Rupp, lost to Texas El Paso. And if you disagree with me, please explain to me where the men's program at Montana would be without it's African-American heritage, from Naesby Rinehart, to Ray Lucien, to Micheal Ray Richardson, to Derrick Pope, Scooter Christieansen, Will Cherry....oh, jeez....enough said.

Fat Bruno said:
Well, it's clear to me that without some inner city posters, this site will never be worth a damn.

City? You got that right. But grew up in Helena. And where I live is hardly "inner." Actually, rhymes with "snob."

GrizLA: When I wrote, "I THINK I understand some of your references," I was alluding to those issues raised by you and citay. I believe coach Schweyen will broaden the scope of this program significantly... though It probably will not be visible for another couple of years.

Citay: Don't forget Rudolph, "Zip" Rhoades, who was my hero back in 1952-53 when he dazzled on court... before both Ray and Naseby played... though Naseby's and Zip's careers overlapped a bit, if my memory serves me correctly.

Back