• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Keys to beating the Cats

EverettGriz said:
I dunno. Something about this game feels like "trap" to me.

it should be a hard-fought game. amazing what a single weekend can do. last week we're both 4-0, atop of the conference, and looks as though this game will be a great one. then our road trip happened. we didn't just lose two games. we lost two games, both by nearly 20, to teams near the bottom of the conference.

the place should still be full. we're still near the top of the league, although it's early. we have the best player in the league and as he showed last year, sometimes that's enough. but the griz are the favorite. they're playing great ball.

ilovethecats said:
akoh has got to be licking his chops for this game

He's got to convert when he gets the ball. He's had some good games, but he also seemed flustered against Sac St and PSU at times. He missed some easy buckets in those games. He's got to come ready to play, and play smart. You can probably expect that he'll get to the line, where he's been pretty solid all year.

EverettGriz said:
I dunno. Something about this game feels like "trap" to me.

I agree. The Griz may look good on paper, but it is a rivalry game on the road. Emotion and momentum can be huge factors in this game. The Cats have their backs against the wall, trying to avoid a 3 game skid and a home loss. I'm certainly not chalking this on up as a W until the game is over.

Jaredkuehn said:
The Griz may look good on paper, but it is a rivalry game on the road. Emotion and momentum can be huge factors in this game. The Cats have their backs against the wall, trying to avoid a 3 game skid and a home loss. I'm certainly not chalking this on up as a W until the game is over.

This says it all for me. I've looked over all the point spreads (Montana is a pretty universal pick). But, I've watched too many games played at the Brick that suddenly turn on the Griz. Momemtum is huge in that always-packed arena. Regardless of how much the Griz are favorites, it'll take a focused & full-game effort from the entire lineup to notch a win.

Sure, anything can happen in college basketball. That's part of the reason we love it so much. The Cats will have home court advantage, much incentive, and some very good players. But this year's Griz team is special, in my opinion, because they have the three qualities all championship teams possess:
--Talent. This is Pac 12 talent, not Big Sky. Power Five guards in Oguine and Rorie. Emerging stars in Falls and Nicholas. Rock-solid players in Krslovic, Pridgett, Moorehead and Akoh. A rotation that goes eight deep with no fall off in talent.
--Coaching. Our defense is a thing of beauty. And our schemes against the Portland State press were so good, I went from fearing it to hoping they'd keep it on. I think next time we play them we'll have tons of scoring opportunities that we missed against that press.
--Chemistry. Everybody talks about it, but this team has it. In Portland, you could see it immediately--talking, helping, switching. A band of brothers.
Good luck, Cats! You're gonna need it.

I think, very simply, THE key is fouls. The team that stays out of foul trouble will prevail. Tough task for both teams for different reasons. Here's to a Griz win by double digits!

The key to this game, like it has been all season will be consistent hard nosed defense. The offense of any team can ebb, but defense, the way the Griz ha e been playing it, can be consistent no matter what the setting. We do that and we will celebrate another Griz win Saturday night!

The rhythm shooters determine the final score in both games this weekend. I think the Lady Griz win big and the men? Whoever gets the stroke going wins. I think Hall works for and gets his points but he shows why he was such a good player in high school and his freshman year. He goes rogue...finally...he's worth the price of the ticket.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
The rhythm shooters determine the final score in both games this weekend. I think the Lady Griz win big and the men? Whoever gets the stroke going wins. I think Hall works for and gets his points but he shows why he was such a good player in high school and his freshman year. He goes rogue...finally...he's worth the price of the ticket.

Hall is a Junior...So you mean in High school, his Freshman and his sophomore years. Get it right.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

How big do you think the lady griz win by in Bozeman....Lady Cats have lost 1 game in 3 years at home....

Gaeilge1 said:
The key to this game, like it has been all season will be consistent hard nosed defense. The offense of any team can ebb, but defense, the way the Griz ha e been playing it, can be consistent no matter what the setting. We do that and we will celebrate another Griz win Saturday night!

Good call, and I agree on the defense, but my choice was fouls mostly because I assumed they'd play good defense as they have all season. The foul situation is how will the refs let them play defense. If it's tic-tac garbage it could be a long night as the defense will be a bit more "porous".

SACCAT66 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Hall is a Junior...So you mean in High school, his Freshman and his sophomore years. Get it right.

Short of putting you on ignore, I'm doing a nice job ignoring and not responding to you. Did you miss "was?" The operative word "was?" I have zero desire to enter into any form of dialogue with you. You're a nameless face on a keyboard someplace. I enjoy the sarcastic comments directed to other posters in this site, mostly in jest and the armchair critiques of the coaching staff and administration here. I also really appreciate how positive the comments are toward the players.

SACCAT66 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

How big do you think the lady griz win by in Bozeman....Lady Cats have lost 1 game in 3 years at home....

Good question.

I think someone is comparing scores, such as, that the LG defeated North Dakota on the road, 54 - 43; North Dakota defeated MSU 79 to 70, for, so far, their only BSC win.

The LG defeated Portland State 69 - 53. Portland State defeated MSU 69 - 60.

But, MSU defeated Sacramento State 85 - 50 while the LG could only eek out a 68 - 59 victory.

That may be the consideration some feel, by comparing scores with common opponents, but for all of that, so what? As you say, MSU has only lost once in the last three years. It'll be a good game, no doubt. I don't see the LG using a zone defense against MSU with their outside shooting capabilities. The LG should, hopefully, acquire a lot of scoring near the basket with plenty of offensive rebounds for second chances, if they need them, which generally they do. Some can't even make a lay-up, for instance. Hope the LG win. But it ain't going to be easy.

Back